ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finding it hard to find gears under deceleration

1.6 Clio, 330Ci Bmw
Just wanting some ideas as to what could be causing the issues, as I'm really not up to dropping my box out at the moment. Issue is finding it hard to get into gears, sometimes just grinding gears under deceleration.( I'm thinking towards the dog bone being absolutely wankered )
I won't be able to get under the car until Saturday morning, so just looking for ideas as to what it could be.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
At high/low RPM under acceleration and deceleration?

Could be a few things. Need more details, but it sounds like the synchros are going or the clutch isn't fully disengaging (clutch drag).

1.6 Clio, 330Ci Bmw
A lot of the time at high rpms, but a lot of the time it's fine and I get no problems from it at all. It's just at sporadic times where it does grind
Doesn't happen under acceleration
makes a knocking noise whenever you let off the throttle or put your foot down. (What made me think it was the dog bone)

monaco 172
A lot of the time at high rpms, but a lot of the time it's fine and I get no problems from it at all. It's just at sporadic times where it does grind
Doesn't happen under acceleration
makes a knocking noise whenever you let off the throttle or put your foot down. (What made me think it was the dog bone)
I'd do the dog bone, gearbox and upper engine mounts if your getting a knocking.

Clio
Hi,

May be worth resetting the auto adjuster on the clutch pedal. I recently had clutch drag issues caused by it having got stuck and not adjusting for clutch wear.

To do it, airbox needs to come out of the engine bay. Unhook the clutch cable off the arm on the gearbox, then depress (the now floppy) clutch pedal. I moved it up and down a few times by hand as well. Reattach the cable at the gearbox end, press the pedal a few more times again and if it feels okay put the airbox back on etc. and take it for a test drive.

1.6 Clio, 330Ci Bmw
Replaced the dog bone yesterday, the front bushing was completely knackered, put an evol engineering one in its place and the knocking has gone. So far it hasn't grinded a gear, so hopefully it was just the movement in the dogbone stopping the gear linkages moving so much or little.
Also, gear linkage seal, I'm guessing the box has to be split to replace it?

Clio 172
Yep it's a big job requires a box rebuild at the same time, there is a french company that makes a 2 part split seal that is a bit of a bodge, I've just tried fitting it to my 172 so ill let you know if it wirks