ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Firmer Alternative to OEM 182 Cup Shocks?

Impreza Wagon
I'm coming round to the idea of replacing all the shocks on my 182 Cup as the cars now done 86k on the standards.

It's currently got Sportline springs which I'm happy with however I'd like a firmer shock to reduce the body roll. As i've got the 60mm spacing it rules out a couple of shocks so what are my options?

Can any coilovers offer the same sort of ride quality as sportlines/oem shocks without being crashy over bumps?

Impreza Wagon
I did a little research into the B14's a while ago and they seem to get mixed reviews? For the money everyone seemed to push towards a H&R coilover setup.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I did a little research into the B14's a while ago and they seem to get mixed reviews? For the money everyone seemed to push towards a H&R coilover setup.

Matt I've got the H&R's and my opinion above was from them. The H&R's are actually revalved b14's so they are similar!

Impreza Wagon
Ah ok, to be honest the H&R/B14's seem to be a good compromise. I'll be doing track days but I'll also be driving to work some days so a super firm setup really isn't what I want.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Ah ok, to be honest the H&R/B14's seem to be a good compromise. I'll be doing track days but I'll also be driving to work some days so a super firm setup really isn't what I want.

Ive driven most if not all of the clio setups now and they ARE the best for road, that and sachs (but sachs need regular rebuilds!)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Body roll is a function of the spring rate not the shock absorber rate, the shock absorber rate just alters how quickly it gets there, but it will still lean the same amount with firmer shocks if you keep your springs.

You would be better off fitting a set of cooksport springs instead.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I agree after owning both B14's and now cooksports, you may as well just go for the cooksports. I nearly went down the coilover route again but so glad I saved my money this time.

Impreza Wagon
Body roll is a function of the spring rate not the shock absorber rate, the shock absorber rate just alters how quickly it gets there, but it will still lean the same amount with firmer shocks if you keep your springs.

You would be better off fitting a set of cooksport springs instead.

I was looking into changing to Cooksports but I need 4 new shocks anyway so I may as well go all out with the B14's?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was looking into changing to Cooksports but I need 4 new shocks anyway so I may as well go all out with the B14's?

TBH the standard shocks are probably more durable.

Depends if you want the adjustment or not.

For a mainly road car, id sooner just have the standard cup shocks personally.

Impreza Wagon
I suppose the adjustment is a bonus and I think changing from the standard shocks will be a nice change.

Impreza Wagon
So new shocks, Cooksports, Whitline RARB and polybushed wishbones would be money better spent than B14's?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Most likely yeah, as I said earlier though afaik the B14's aren't even in cup fitment yet.

I'm running cooksports on used shocks now and I'm pretty happy tbh, will be even better with new shocks. After spending £700 and a couple £100 setting the billies up it's a lot of money gone for what is essentially overkill on a mostly road car.

I have spent a total of £130 for springs £90 for camber and tracking set up and £30 to get them fitted. So much cheaper and just as good on the road really. Obviously including shocks is a good £200 on top but it's still cheap in comparison.

Last edited:
  Impreza Wagon
B14's are on Kam Racing in Cup fitment?

I think I'll go for the Cooksport option for now and see what I think. I've heard good reviews and the fact they're sold out until next month means they must be good!

I like the idea of adding an 'aftermarket' setup but I suppose it's not worth it if the OEM kit with springs is good enough.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd try it with just the cooksport springs first before you decide on the RARB as well, the cooksport rears are quite firm anyway so you might find you dont need any extra rear roll resistance.

Unless you want one "just because" of course, in which case you can always turn it down if you find it makes it more oversteery than you want.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I know, just be sure if you do order the B14's be sure to check over the phone if they actually have some as they were meant to be getting some quite a while ago. I was down to have them trial fitted onto my car to make sure they're all okay before they started selling them and I never heard from them in the end. They had them listed on there site back then too even though they didn't have them in stock or anything yet :S.

As above go for springs and shocks and make sure you have some decent tyres and all should be good if not go from there regards to other mods. :)

FF 182
The cooksports with new dampers have aleviated most, if not all body roll on my 182. Difference i feel is pretty staggering, although i was running with a cracked front drivers side spring ^^

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I was set on the coilover route again. So glad I went for springs instead, saved some ££.