ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fitted my viper C.A.F. in the grill [pics]

ant

yep.
right, i'll confess to being only very average when it comes to working on cars but this seemed to go ok so give it a whirl if you're thinking about it.

first job, bumper off. fairly easy [mike @ rentech showed me]

Image195.gif

undo the arch-liner screws [3 per side].
undo the 10mm bolts up under the arch [1 each side].
under 2 8mm bolts under the car [below the rad 'ish].

then its a case of pulling the bumper away from the clips on the front wings. bit tricky but a good pull each side will free it.

before you remove it completely you just need to undo the fog light connection and the washer jet pipes [both nearside]

Image197.gif

then stick it somewhere safe, its only plastic!

Image196.jpg

the grill below the number plate where my c.a.f. was going just clips out. i found it was easier taking it off the bumper. then using a pair of snips i cut out a hole just big enough for the viper "trumpet".

Image198.gif

i put 2 big hose clips on the back end, one to secure the c.a.f. pipe and one to keep the trumpet pretty close to grill. i found it quite tricky as the end piece is tapered so the clips kept coming loose.

at this point as the bumper was off i fitted my cup splitter too.

after that its just a case of sticking it all back together, i fed the c.a.f. up past the headlight, reconnected the foglight and washer jets then bolted the bumper back on.

Image199.gif

unfortunately the c.a.f. you get with the viper is too short, it only comes upto the battery!!

Image202.gif

Image201.gif

im going to leave that one in and just extend it.

think it looks better than my original plan of putting it in the foglight.

Image206.gif

Image203.gif

VRS
ive bought some alloy piping from motorworld, 15 quid and it extends up to 1metre and is 70mm diameter if your looking for an extension to your viper feed

ant

yep.
:)

well i wont say its easy, more a bit tricky! you'll defo need another pair of hands getting the bumper back on.

VRS
daze said:
:)

well i wont say its easy, more a bit tricky! you'll defo need another pair of hands getting the bumper back on.

im a dab hand with the bumper now matey, its been on and off 3 times this week since the badger incident lol

Mondeo STTDCI
This is an excellent....excellent guide matey. Just need a bit more on the location of the bumper screws.....any chance of pics of the locations.

Then there's a good chance that ut might be able to be incorporated it as an article (plus it'd help me out lol)

Aside from that whats the acoustic valve thing ppl were talking about removing when doing this?

ant

yep.
i'll get some pics of the screw/bolt locations in the next couple of days [forgot at the time, i was engrossed!!]

i'd already taken out the acoustic valve, it sits behind the n/s arch liner.

ant

yep.
well, instead of the engine sucking hot air from under the bonnet through the air filter, hopefully!! it will be sucking a supply of colder air from the inlet there on the front grill.

my pipe is too short at the moment but when its extended it will point directly at the air filter intake.

Good work that mate:approve: . You have more patience than me...after my third knuckle lost its skin :mad: I bined the lot and went for a panel filter.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Not bad at all mate.

A few notes.

You can longer ducting from GREEN the people who make the filters. You need the longer length that they do. Have a look in Rally Design or Demon Tweeks as they do it too.

The alloy ducting will last approx 1minute. Its like kit-kat wrapper. ;)

Mondeo STTDCI
CupCake said:
Not bad at all mate.

A few notes.

You can longer ducting from GREEN the people who make the filters. You need the longer length that they do. Have a look in Rally Design or Demon Tweeks as they do it too.

The alloy ducting will last approx 1minute. Its like kit-kat wrapper. ;)

Do you mean the ducting he has used or is going to use?!

ant

yep.
the ducting thats in came with the viper and seems pretty sturdy stuff. i'll keep that twisting through the nooks and crannies. whichever other stuff i get wont be stressed, its only going from the top of the original to the air filter intake.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
good effort mate, didnt fancy going through the fog light though? alot more easier than the front grill

ant

yep.
i was going to go through the fog but i think it looks better there tbh.

not that hard to do once the bumper is off and all the original feeds are out. just a pity pipercross are so tight with the feed length!!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Dave said:
Do you mean the ducting he has used or is going to use?!

The alloy-ducting as people have mentioned above is rubbish.

The ducting he has used is too short and is availble in longer lengths from the manufacturers as stated above. :)

Mondeo STTDCI
Do they charge extra at all? For the extra length?

I mean if I were to order the viper from say K-tec how would I go about getting the extra length?

Been looking into this for AGES....!

Williams 2
Is the viper ducting made of alloy or is it a stronger material. I need to get a decent cold air feed to my Hill Power i/k through a hole next to the fog on my Mk1 valver. Does anyone know if this would work? Matt

VRS
just bought some ducting from motorworld, 1metre of rubber ducting made by green very flexible and sturdy, i cant see it crushing or warping like my old alloy ducting did

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
i'm sure you've done a good job but it makes it looks a bit 'halfords' stylee. i think you should at least paint the red bit black, then it wont show. i think it would have been better in the fog light hole, thats only my opinion though.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
daze said:
thats the length that comes with the stock viper though.

Yes mate - the viper is available for many cars so you get a stock length.

Look at my post on page one regardingplaces that sell different lengths. For the 172/182 you need approx 2metres.

Black Gold 182
Daze,
Send an E-Mail to Pipercross regarding the length of ducting. I'm looking at doing this route too. But once I realised I didn't have enough tube I mailed them. Mail was sent friday, extra length of tube was despatched today.

Just explain in the E-Mail that the length supplied isn't long enough due to various obstructions i.e. Air Con and Radiator and ask if you can have some extra tube to correct this problem.

After all why should you have to buy extra tube for an induction kit that is supplied to fit this vehicle?

Let me know how you get on.

Andy

182 Full Fat
This is a great guide, i may well have a go at doing this. I take it it was much easier to push the feed through the engine bay since the bumper was removed!!??

My CAF is red too on my cup. I planned on painting it blue or black, but have since decided to leave it red, as i think it just makes the front look a little more agressive.

I had a fiddle with my air feed the other day, as because room was very tight behind the TOP grill with the BMC on, the ducting had a kink in it, blocking a bit of the filter entrance. I have now angled the filter more towards the floor, as there was more room, and the angle for the pipe was better.

since doing so, the car is even better still, and you can really hear the BMC roar now, and thats even over the exhaust.

So just make sure you get a good straight connection, and it will be great.

I didnt arse about taking my bumper off on mine though. I just undid the panel on the bottom of the bumper and bashed the grill out, and did then replaced with a different grill with the hole already in it.

Was a bit tricky, but got there in the end, with only a few minor knuckle scrapes, lol.

I also have one of the OEM airfeeds pointing directly at the filter. The air doesnt enter the filter, but it will keep it cooler under speed :D

Black Gold 182
Maz,
See above, just send an E-Mail to pipercross explaining the provided one isn't long enough.

They should send an extra length to you free of charge, but there are occasions i've heard of them sending two out.

Worth a try anyway....

Andy

Renault Sport clio 1
this has been a really helpful post!

But just a quick question, how do you remove the orignal hose that is already there?

Is it easy to do once the bumper has been removed?

VRS
s70res said:
this has been a really helpful post!

But just a quick question, how do you remove the orignal hose that is already there?

Is it easy to do once the bumper has been removed?

just twist and yank

Black Gold 182
If you take the liner out of the passenger side wheel arch you can get at it from there. It just pulls off. You can do it from the top but its pretty awkward.

Andy