ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fletch's 150k 172 Project..

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
17201555604_f786ce793e_z.jpg

17824046775_3c091592a3_z.jpg

Best rally car iv seen....

Id love to tag along to the Ring. Especially after i let you boys down this year.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I love mine. Great buy.

Shifts are so much more "assured". You should book Oulton RS day in Aug man :smile:

Really busy with work atm mate, shame as I like the RS trackdays.

Great addition :smile:

Cheere Chris.
Tempted myself , gear change is way better.
Big brakes next for me , then steering wheel quick release .
How much was it for your setup @Fletcher excluding wheel.

Hi Mike. IIRC momo boss £50 and Lifeline QR around £200.

Looks really nice fletch! Definitely need one in the future :smile:

Thanks Rob. You'll have to take it for a spin soon mate.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Done quite a bit to the old girl lately.

A few weeks back I had a mishap with the jack and damaged the side skirt. Ghetto fix with colour coded duct tape :wink:
19864825275_8d4c525b13.jpg
Untitled by Fletcher Cox, on Flickr

So I ordered a replacement, and @Christopher. came over to help me fit it (Chris did most of the work TBH) thanks again mate :smile: We also fitted aerocatches to the front bumper. Most of the brackets have been cut out and a couple of times the front bumper has popped off, so I needed something to secure it properly.

19869776351_c1f3a27415.jpg

19857403842_9178765f07.jpg

19678216149_8b5fd8e82d_z.jpg

19242163054_5c30d13616.jpg

19676793718_fe6c458438.jpg

19676797938_8db8d769f0_z.jpg
Untitled
by Fletcher Cox, on Flickr

19242168944_6e2c8457b6.jpg
Untitled
by Fletcher Cox, on Flickr

19838616166_7495bb15be.jpg

A week later I had it booked into to Rentech to change the lightweight PMS AC delete kit for a 172 cup AC delete set-up, a new handbrake cable, and new rear discs/ pads, thanks @Mike@Rentech... Also big thanks to @stevem42 for giving me the power steering pulley for free, cheers mate.

Next up, change the rubber on the white set of 2118s from the Yoko Parada spec 2's, to Hankook Rs2 that have been gathering dust in the attic. I also plan on sorting the headlights out and giving it a quick wash ready for CSS.

Last edited:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Quick Update.

On Friday evening loaded the car up and made the long trip (240 odd miles) to Scunthorpe Premier inn for CSS. The car felt good on the way up, and I arrived about 10.30pm.

I had booked up the morning session so after the briefing/ sighting laps I changed over the white 2118/ Hankook RS2s for the anthracite 2118s/R888, this is where me and @TimR26 noticed one of the offside wheel nuts wouldn't tighten as much as the others. So I did a session and the car felt good; the engine with the new cup AC delete set up felt strong, and the brake set up was excellent, not a hint of brake fade and great pedal feel. The wheel nut seemed fine, until my third session when I noticed the loose stud. Upon inspection I noticed the thread was damaged (threaded) so that was the end of my track time :(

I left earlier then I wanted as I wanted to travel home in daylight due to the wheel stud issue, as I left Blyton I could hear a nasty knocking noise coming from the offside (it sounded like a fubar'd driveshaft) so I limped home.

I have now decided to get my trailer licence sorted, and use the Hilux as my tow vehicle, as the journey back was a bloody nightmare.

Quick Update.

On Friday evening loaded the car up and made the long trip (240 odd miles) to Scunthorpe Premier inn for CSS. The car felt good on the way up, and I arrived about 10.30pm.

I had booked up the morning session so after the briefing/ sighting laps I changed over the white 2118/ Hankook RS2s for the anthracite 2118s/R888, this is where me and @TimR26 noticed one of the offside wheel nuts wouldn't tighten as much as the others. So I did a session and the car felt good; the engine with the new cup AC delete set up felt strong, and the brake set up was excellent, not a hint of brake fade and great pedal feel. The wheel nut seemed fine, until my third session when I noticed the loose stud. Upon inspection I noticed the thread was damaged (threaded) so that was the end of my track time :(

I left earlier then I wanted as I wanted to travel home in daylight due to the wheel stud issue, as I left Blyton I could hear a nasty knocking noise coming from the offside (it sounded like a fubar'd driveshaft) so I limped home.

I have now decided to get my trailer licence sorted, and use the Hilux as my tow vehicle, as the journey back was a bloody nightmare.

Hi mate, was great chatting to you on Saturday! Never realised you left early to limp home! At least you got him in one peace. I ended up having to go back up to get my trailer and go back down to get mine!! Serves me right for driving hard when I didn't take the trailer!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, was great chatting to you on Saturday! Never realised you left early to limp home! At least you got him in one peace. I ended up having to go back up to get my trailer and go back down to get mine!! Serves me right for driving hard when I didn't take the trailer!

Good to meet/ chat to you too mate. Long day for you then Fraser!

Shame about your driveshaft, I would have liked a pass lap in your car to finally hear what the PMS exhaust system sounds like driven in anger. :)

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Glad you made it to css. Shame I had boys or I would joined you up there.
Hope you get the bus fixed soon., I'm not the greatest with a spanner but any help I can give just ask buddy.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you made it to css. Shame I had boys or I would joined you up there.
Hope you get the bus fixed soon., I'm not the greatest with a spanner but any help I can give just ask buddy.

Shame you couldn't make it mate. Thanks for the offer of help Paul, hopefully see you at the next SC meet :)

Lovely car mate. Any reason for changing the ac delete?

The PMS one is a nice bit of kit and very light, I just got fed up with needing to adjust it often. If my car was just a trackday toy then I probably would have kept the PMS lightweight set-up.

Was good to cat up again on Saturday mate :smile:

Shame about the early finish but you'll get it fixed in no time.

Good to catch up with you and Emily too mate :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Well I had a proper look at the car yesterday evening, and think the gearbox is on its last legs 😧 I will upload a video of the noise it's making later. It does sound similar to this though.

..Looks like I'll be getting a Quiafe LSD quicker than I had planned :wink:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Buy one get one free?
If only that was the case mate! Worth noting though, if you both chose to go for a gripper, I can get a slightly better deal on 2 grippers vs 2 quaifes. Food for thought maybe?

The grippers and servicing isn't something to worry about either if that becomes a concern. They all come with the new style plates now, so I'd say your looking at a good 3-4 years before you need to even pay it consideration.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Personally it's a Quaife for me, purely for the 'fit & forget' aspect. I appreciate Gripper now have a much longer period between servicing, but the Quaife fits my needs best.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Personally it's a Quaife for me, purely for the 'fit & forget' aspect. I appreciate Gripper now have a much longer period between servicing, but the Quaife fits my needs best.
Well there's a deal to be had either way. For instance, if @Fletcher @Tim. and @Christopher. wanted quaifes, but @Fraser.J. and @scotiamr2t wanted grippers, I can get a deal on the quaifes and the grippers. All I'd need to know is who wants what so we've got some numbers and I'll get a price. :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I am currently doing around 7k PA, so I think a Quaife would suit my needs better TBH.
Yeah that's fair enough mate. It's much of a muchness tbh in terms of performance between the quiafe and the gripper if using them in road biased cars. The gripper obviously comes into its own for track/race use as you can get the ramp angles set to make it more aggressive on the exit of turns etc, giving you the potential edge over the competition. You also have the option to spec it with a different crownwheel and pinion.

I've got a Quaife fitted in mine as well based on, 1) it came at the right price, 2) I'm a lazy t**t who can't be arsed to take the gearbox out after 6 years never mind 3! Lol!