ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Focus ST v Clio 182

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Swift Sport
Different market sector perhaps, but still very similar cars. What else do Ford have to compete against the Clio?

Swift Sport
As far as I'm concerned the current and upcoming versions of the Fiesta ST are comparable with older and newer models of the Clio Sport. The Fiesta Zetec S is the less sporty Fiesta.

ITB BG 182
Shoudnt a 182 be compared with a fiesta st? I thought the focus st was in megane territory....
Not really, compared by actual car size it could be. But performance wise, it dont work the same.

A friend of mine had a Fiesta ST and then mapped it because I kept beating him, then got a Focus ST and still I beat him then he got it mapped but still he could not pull away from me by much, now he has an Audi RS4 and f**king kills me...

Ive pushed a lad in a Focus ST that was modified by Pumasport to the point he nearly wrote himself and some one else off, this is when I back off. (bright orange with huge vinyl stickers down the side saying 'POWERED BY PUMASPORT'

An a few other ST's ive either pushed or beaten on a private track, its true what they say about it coming down to the driver.

Swift Sport
I don't see how 0-60 times and insurance groups mean cars can't be compared. The Fiesta ST is a few horsepower down, just means it's a bit slower than a Clio. It's not like the Clio Sport is aimed at old folk.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Not really, compared by actual car size it could be. But performance wise, it dont work the same.

A friend of mine had a Fiesta ST and then mapped it because I kept beating him, then got a Focus ST and still I beat him then he got it mapped but still he could not pull away from me by much, now he has an Audi RS4 and f**king kills me...

Ive pushed a lad in a Focus ST that was modified by Pumasport to the point he nearly wrote himself and some one else off, this is when I back off. (bright orange with huge vinyl stickers down the side saying 'POWERED BY PUMASPORT'

An a few other ST's ive either pushed or beaten on a private track, its true what they say about it coming down to the driver.

A race to the death, good work!!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Oh good, we've not had a Fiesta ST vs 1*2 debate for at least 2 weeks.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Not quite. The ST isn't a comparison to the R.S. range. Hence the Focus RS.

ST is rubbish R.S Meg isn't there you go just made a comparison based on my opinion ;)

Any cars can be compared against each other if you want to.

You mean the ST wasn't built to better the Megane doesn't mean they cant be compared.

Insignia SRi
My Focus RS I just got rid of would have monstered a tuned 182 in a straight line but around a track I think I would have struggled to keep up with a sorted clio, so much so that I have sold the RS and now looking for another 182 because I want some fun back.

MCS R56
I'd say the Fiesta ST is in the hot hatch bracket and should be compared against the Clio, not that you can't compare the Clio to the Focus, Megane, Astra...

Yes, the Fiesta is aimed at younger drivers but it's still a performance hatch and just so happens to be at the bottom of the hot hatch category in terms of pace. And I'm 100% sure if you asked any ST driver, they'd say it was a hot hatch.

Gally, you trying to say the Focus ST isn't a hot hatch?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My Focus RS I just got rid of would have monstered a tuned 182 in a straight line but around a track I think I would have struggled to keep up with a sorted clio, so much so that I have sold the RS and now looking for another 182 because I want some fun back.

It wouldnt have, a MK1 FRS should r4pe a clio around a track tbh.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nope, i'm trying to say you'd buy one for different reasons to the Megane/Vxr. You can directly compare the FRS to them if you wish.

Look at the new Focus ST, it's aimed at a different market. Ford have stated this on umpteen occasions yet people don't listen.

Insignia SRi
Iv owned both the Fiesta ST and the Clio and at the time they were both out I would class them both as hot hatches the only difference being the ST was aimed more at the younger and daily driver end of the market and the clio was aimed more at the serious drivers car end of the market hence the Cup Packs etc.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Re: the ST, ill let global director of performance vehicles, Jost Capito tell you.

This is specifically about the forthcoming Fiests ST, but it was the same with the old model.

And what was the goal with the Fiesta ST?

Essentially to produce a little brother for the Focus ST – it is as simple as that. We are aiming for 178bhp from a 1.6-litre turbocharged four-cylinder Ecoboost engine and that is a very specific target. We are not interested in trying to match rival models like the Renaultsport Clio 200, because we need the Fiesta ST to be affordable, to be cheap to insure and to do so in all markets. And anyway, the Fiesta is 100kg lighter than the Clio RS. I am convinced our car will be better to drive!

Whilst i might have a degree in marketing, you only need half a brain cell to understand what he is saying.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I can't wait for the new ST. Will be a decent second hand buy I reckon.

Insignia SRi
Re: the ST, ill let global director of performance vehicles, Jost Capito tell you.

This is specifically about the forthcoming Fiests ST, but it was the same with the old model.

Whilst i might have a degree in marketing, you only need half a brain cell to understand what he is saying.

Exactly always been aimed at different ends of the market. Thats why they endorce Mountune as their offical tuner so if anybody wants it a bit more hardcore then send your ST to them.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The steering in even the 1.25 is immense, the ST will be a stunning drive, slow or not!

Insignia SRi
Just remember that having and tuning a turbo'd car it sounds great in theory but be aware that means there is a whole lot more to go wrong under the bonnet. lol

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
I went out in a mapped st at the weekend there for the first time running 312 bhp & 340 lbft of torque. Absolute animal and handled surprising well for a heavy motor, fell in love with the noise too.

someone mention me? :-D

Insignia SRi
Yeah trust me the Mk1 isnt the track weapon everybody thinks it is. I did say a sorted Clio not standard though, iv done a few and although on the straights my RS would fly by when it came to corners and you factor in a bit of turbo lag the clio can really hold its own.

MCS R56

Haha, who gives a flying fcuk who the Ford marketeers are aiming the ST at. It's the end user that will define where it's placed. They could be aiming it a the OAP market but if it is a good car, it will not be compared to Micras or Kias or whatever the OAP's drive these days. Who reads this crap anyway?

Swift Sport
Definitely not raped Dave! In standard guise the Mk1 is really quite average.

Both cars are s**t anyway. Just so we're clear.

f**k cars in general actually.

True.

Yeah trust me the Mk1 isnt the track weapon everybody thinks it is. I did say a sorted Clio not standard though, iv done a few and although on the straights my RS would fly by when it came to corners and you factor in a bit of turbo lag the clio can really hold its own.

I've come across both standard and modified Mk1 Focus RS's on track and there's nothing in it between a standard Focus and a Clio Sport, pretty much down to the driver on the day. A modified Focus on the other hand is a different story, potential monster!

Haha, who gives a flying fcuk who the Ford marketeers are aiming the ST at. It's the end user that will define where it's placed. They could be aiming it a the OAP market but if it is a good car, it will not be compared to Micras or Kias or whatever the OAP's drive these days. Who reads this crap anyway?

Agreed.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

It's a fact. If it was competing with the Clio it would have had much more BHP from the restricted 2.0 litre engine. Surely you can see that?

A Clio 200 can keep up with a MK2 FRS on a twisty road, it means jack s**t imo. A Clio 200 can keep up with a Lambo on a B road, it means nothing.

Swift Sport
It's a fact. If it was competing with the Clio it would have had much more BHP from the restricted 2.0 litre engine. Surely you can see that?

A Clio 200 can keep up with a MK2 FRS on a twisty road, it means jack s**t imo. A Clio 200 can keep up with a Lambo on a B road, it means nothing.

...Only if national speed limits are exceeded, which no-one does on here... Right?

MCS R56

A statement of marketing intent doesn't mean anything. Surely you can see that or have you got your tadger so far up Ford's bottom that you can't see anything any more?

Yes, this has become boring and it doesn't have anything to do with the subject. The fact that the Fiesta ST is discussed so often just highlights the fact that it is in the same category and the few people on here that THINK they're right because they read all the bs that is issued from car marketing companies need to get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.