ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ford Focus RS : day 104 : Why the mk7 Fiesta ST is so good!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yep. In its earlier guise with me...200bhp, 215 at the most, is all they need and as such they're a perfect daily.

The RS is epic in every way...but you do have to pedal it hard to feel the benefit of where the £35k went LOL.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
The mk7 Fiesta courtesy car I had recently made me realise just how much I miss my ST...

Agree with everything bar the power and torque I think the chassis can handle the extra and if you drive my one I think you will change your mind as it is just like stock but with just more .

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Agree with everything bar the power and torque I think the chassis can handle the extra and if you drive my one I think you will change your mind as it is just like stock but with just more .

I agree it can handle it...I just don't agree it needs it or is a better car for it.

I never enjoyed my ST as much once I had MR230 fitted. All that torque is kind of wasted unless you're rolling at a fairly high speed as you're always fighting straight line traction. In a corner the extra power, if used without the hassle/expense of first fitting a trick LSD, gives you power understeer until you're out and straight again.

I maintain that standard, maybe MP215 at the most (that doesn't have such huge overwhelming gobs of low end torque), is the sweet spot...a perfectly balanced ST that you can get in and enjoy wringing its neck.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I agree it can handle it...I just don't agree it needs it or is a better car for it.

I never enjoyed my ST as much once I had MR230 fitted. All that torque is kind of wasted unless you're rolling at a fairly high speed as you're always fighting straight line traction. In a corner the extra power, if used without the hassle/expense of first fitting a trick LSD, gives you power understeer until you're out and straight again.

I maintain that standard, maybe MP215 at the most (that doesn't have such huge overwhelming gobs of low end torque), is the sweet spot...a perfectly balanced ST that you can get in and enjoy wringing its neck.

I do understand this as the std car is just so good out of the box and with this you can use all of the power and it can handle it and that stock the car is very good .

With the extra power you have to drive the car in a different way I agree and I had a go in a friends stock ST and it was still a great drive but I still like my one better .

When I fit the diff this will make the car perfect IMO .

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The diff should transform it. I felt mine as MR230 was crying out for it...yours must be insane.

I'm going to have to hook up with my mate and his 100% standard ST and video a comparison...see if it actually makes me smile. I reckon it might.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
The diff should transform it. I felt mine as MR230 was crying out for it...yours must be insane.

I'm going to have to hook up with my mate and his 100% standard ST and video a comparison...see if it actually makes me smile. I reckon it might.
There's no way the happy rear end and such playful handling can't put a smile on your face tbh!

As a daily though I really didn't like mine, uncomfortable, rattle speakers, grindy brakes, horrible ride and not enough power for the motorway duties imo

As a blip through the lanes on a Saturday morning, not much can touch it in terms of driver enjoyment

B9 Audi A4 Sport
The best test drive i've ever had was in a MK7 Fiesta ST. It was only about 20 minutes but that's all i needed. I really wanted one there and then as soon as we got back to the dealership. In fact, just stepping into the car, before setting off, felt special. I think it was an ST-3 so had all the toys and equipment.

For me, it had enough power to feel genuinely quick but it also had that pure grin-factor, which made you want to LOL. I even managed to burn a MK6 Golf GTD from the lights that went for it when they turned green. Even coming from a Scriocco, the interior felt plush and the ride was no more crashy than the VW either.