ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So Ive had a measure up for spacers and will add some pics here incase anyone else is interested. Mainly for the chamfer sizes on the rear faces of the wheels im using.

My stock cup chassis hub protrudes just over 14.2mm.
Speedline Cup Turini ET38.5mm has huge a 6.3mm chamfer.
Speedline 2118 ET43mm has a tiny 2mm chamfer.

So if i want one set of slip on spacers, my Turinis will only cope with a 5mm spacer leaving approx. 3mm of hub location, whereas i could probably get away with a pair of 10mm slip ons if i were just running the 2118s.

Hubcentric 15mm will push my current wheels (Turinis) out a full 15mm (30mm increase on the current track width).
However if i run the 2118s they will also come out 15mm but the increase over my existing track width will only be 11.5mm per side / 23mm overall.

Clio hub.jpg
2118 chamfer.jpg
Turini chamfer.jpg

Very jealous of those tyres. They were my favourite, I went through two sets until you couldn't buy them anymore :(

For reference I have a 5mm spacer on my front wheels which are ET35.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Very jealous of those tyres. They were my favourite, I went through two sets until you couldn't buy them anymore :(

For reference I have a 5mm spacer on my front wheels which are ET35.

Yeah always liked the old 888s. Likewise a shame you cant get Bridgestone RE070s in our size.
Scrubbing is my absolute pet hate, but still want to run a reasonably low ride height. Just cant be dealing with scrubbing wheel arch liners and having to butcher bumper brackets for clearance.

Yeah I had to do that :( but then got the car corner weighted and it actually sits higher at the front than it did before so porbably should have done that first!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Few little trinkets arrived for WZD yesterday.

Seat belt receptacles for me to progress my Recaro install.

68FF7ACD-B435-4A67-B732-9EA8583178B2.jpeg

16mm front spacers to suit the 2118s.

B4CA530D-6FDA-470F-B6D0-5D21A293E887.jpeg

And lastly, a cheeky little dutch delivery from AST/Moton. Thought I’d get some detail photos before they go on as they’re unlikely to ever look this pretty again.
These will be coated in ACF50 before going on and will wear damper covers to protect them as the car will be driven in all conditions.

E2D14783-113B-440E-9F53-1871447B8E1F.jpeg
389CEBE5-BF8C-4250-862D-2D96C1D60F19.jpeg
F737E0F7-71B4-457C-B63D-87560A3653AC.jpeg
4CF08946-599F-4498-A5F7-0AA077F11781.jpeg
83427D76-7D17-4E31-8761-FA8590B08E2F.jpeg
3262F507-E31A-40D2-B5C4-8B24B2974668.jpeg
6024C932-09FC-483D-8A9D-B801C3725781.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So I’ve been struggling to find time to get these in the car but finally pleased to say they’re in.
I spent time removing the birds from the side mounts so as to not scratch the shells, painting washers and capping bolts to make it looks as close to an OEM finish as possible.

The car finally has a seating position that it should of left the factory with, although I’m going to shim the steering column down a few extra mm. It’s already down 5mm but I’m guessing 7 or 8mm will be perfect.

Not much else to say about them, I’ll get some nice pics when the cars clean.

60E55B20-0585-4E4B-BB0C-C1396266A5D2.jpeg
F195FF7F-9914-4FFF-9F40-E60E733FF72B.jpeg
426B5E49-1CE1-4621-BCDB-B1DB719A52C9.jpeg
AD9CDF83-D0EB-4001-A699-5D24D41301DA.jpeg
8C575E30-4F2E-4D94-A368-F00B0FFF6730.jpeg
15993580-0267-43EF-AF7A-27B4B9CE7965.jpeg
FFC9D7D3-34A8-4FDC-BE2D-8D78AAF315FE.jpeg
734F0DED-D070-4033-981B-DD9846DF025D.jpeg
B99E1366-8536-4AC5-A6C1-B4861FC519D6.jpeg
AD6A1B5F-3E58-45B5-9362-7B5AA7E1B848.jpeg

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Awesome mate.

Those seats...

Also nice to see somebody else knows the virtues of ACF50 (y)

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Seats Look awasome! could you send me a link to the seatbelt buckles they look like a perfect fit and the way you've mounted them looks spot on

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Seats look epic mate, pretty OEM style too!!

That’s the plan. OEM++

Awesome mate.

Those seats...

Also nice to see somebody else knows the virtues of ACF50 (y)

Indeed. Hopefully try and protect as many components for as long as possibje

Seats Look awasome! could you send me a link to the seatbelt buckles they look like a perfect fit and the way you've mounted them looks spot on

Cheers dude, dropped you a PM with the buckles. Tried to make the install as clean looking as possible

Absolutely perfect 😎

Thanks chap

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Oh my, those seats. They came in the QS version of the MK1 TT and are well revered.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So I guess this has kinda come a bit of a way in only 6 months, without listing all the new OEM bits such as clutch, belts, bushes blah blah.

This is where it now stands in terms of changes even though I’m keeping it standard. 🙈🙈🙈

Inferno Clio 182 FF & Cup Packs

Engine:
ITG Maxogen air intake
BTM/Yozzasport cat back exhaust
PMS cat derestriction
PhilM exhaust mounts /stainless mount bracket holders.

Transmission:
Quaife ATB diff
PMS motorsport shifter

Suspension:
AST5100 coilovers - to be fitted
PMS topmounts & brace - to be fitted
PhilM dogbone bushes
PMS 19mm Rear ARB
Whiteline rear beam bushes
PFlex Black steering rack bushes

Braking:
Goodridge brake hoses
Motul RBF 600
Brembo HC discs
PFC 097 pads

Wheels/tyres:
16” Speedline Turini - Gloss black
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
15” Speedline 2118 - Anthracite
Toyo R888

Exterior:
2019 Fiesta stubby aerial.
Genuine Cup washer blanks
Phillips Xtreme Gen2

Interior:
Momo Prototipo Classic Steering Wheel
Works Bell rapfix 2
Volantech cruise button panel
Recaro Pole Position ABE seats /JonFoz XL bases
Steering column dropped 8mm.
Alpine 178BT headunit.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Impressive for a standard car 😂

Any more plans, or are you happy now?
C’mon mate. You know the rules of these slippery slopes. It’s never finished. 😂

Jokes aside, I’m thinking once the dampers are on and dialed in, I think there’s little else for now.
Target is my ultimate roadgoing 182 so that means keeping it sensible and maximising on what’s already a great little car, an OEM++ Trophy-R if you will.
Probably a map to improve drivability, maybe a timing change at the same time to improve torque. That’s about it.
I did you with low boost turbo charging it... so far I’ve talked myself out of it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
C’mon mate. You know the rules of these slippery slopes. It’s never finished. 😂

Jokes aside, I’m thinking once the dampers are on and dialed in, I think there’s little else for now.
Target is my ultimate roadgoing 182 so that means keeping it sensible and maximising on what’s already a great little car, an OEM++ Trophy-R if you will.
Probably a map to improve drivability, maybe a timing change at the same time to improve torque. That’s about it.
I did you with low boost turbo charging it... so far I’ve talked myself out of it.

So you're not going to turbo it, which probably means a 500bhp forged Megane engine is coming then :ROFLMAO:

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So you're not going to turbo it, which probably means a 500bhp forged Megane engine is coming then :ROFLMAO:

Lol, kinda been there, done it and got the Tshirt of a big turbo road car mate and it’s alright for a while.
You soon get bored and want more even though you can’t fully use what you already have. My Cayman is only 360bhp and you can’t even use all of that.

My impreza motor is being collected by the new owner within the next month or so. Then I’ll have an empty engine stand.😁
Maybe I’ll build up another standard F4R motor just to swap out when mine gets tired lol.

The main thing with the Clio is how much driving enjoyment it offers. I found last time, the enjoyment graph doesn’t always go up when the power does. Lol

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Lol, kinda been there, done it and got the Tshirt of a big turbo road car mate and it’s alright for a while.
You soon get bored and want more even though you can’t fully use what you already have. My Cayman is only 360bhp and you can’t even use all of that.

My impreza motor is being collected by the new owner within the next month or so. Then I’ll have an empty engine stand.😁
Maybe I’ll build up another standard F4R motor just to swap out when mine gets tired lol.

The main thing with the Clio is how much driving enjoyment it offers. I found last time, the enjoyment graph doesn’t always go up when the power does. Lol

Totally agreed. I've had a couple of modern turbo motors in the last few years (Golf R and Meg RS) and, while they are impressive, you can't really use them on the road, even in standard form. To feel on the limit in the Golf, you had to be really tanking it, to pretty dangerous levels. When driving normally, you may as well have been in a 1.6 TDI, because it just didn't feel special at all. The Meg was better, as it at least felt a bit more special, but even a car like that can't really be stretched on the road. I ran the Golf alongside my old 172 Cup for a while and the Clio was way more fun in real life. Every time I got in it, it put a smile on my face, whether I was 30mph or 130mph (not that I would do that unless on a track of course). Sometimes slower is definitely better. Give me something with a bit of personality any day.

I don't think I'd ever have a turbocharged Clio, unless it was a 220T. If I wanted a turbo Renault, I'd buy one. Part of the appeal of the Clio is the normally aspirated engine. If I was you, I'd probably just build up a spare motor when you can, maybe a set of cams and some light porting/polishing etc to refine what you've got, and enjoy it from there. If you can get it somewhere near 200bhp, that's plenty in a road car.

Its a straight swap but takes a bit of force to get them off, 100% worth the effort imo. I found one for 16 quid a while back

Where abouts are you in essex?

Last edited:

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Totally agreed. I've had a couple of modern turbo motors in the last few years (Golf R and Meg RS) and, while they are impressive, you can't really use them on the road, even in standard form. To feel on the limit in the Golf, you had to be really tanking it, to pretty dangerous levels. When driving normally, you may as well have been in a 1.6 TDI, because it just didn't feel special at all. The Meg was better, as it at least felt a bit more special, but even a car like that can't really be stretched on the road. I ran the Golf alongside my old 172 Cup for a while and the Clio was way more fun in real life. Every time I got in it, it put a smile on my face, whether I was 30mph or 130mph (not that I would do that unless on a track of course). Sometimes slower is definitely better. Give me something with a bit of personality any day.

I don't think I'd ever have a turbocharged Clio, unless it was a 220T. If I wanted a turbo Renault, I'd buy one. Part of the appeal of the Clio is the normally aspirated engine. If I was you, I'd probably just build up a spare motor when you can, maybe a set of cams and some light porting/polishing etc to refine what you've got, and enjoy it from there. If you can get it somewhere near 200bhp, that's plenty in a road car.

This is the thing. Modern cars have become so capable and with performance so exploitable by the masses. Often this is at the expense of neutered feel, feedback and enjoyment. Cars are more impressive than they have ever been, theyre all things to all people now. A modern hot hatch will run rings around many of the Supercars of only 10 years ago.

Granted the Impreza was exciting, but exciting in a wide eyed and gritted teeth way. It would happily show a clean pair of heels to a mates LP640 even on low boost.
Certainly in a straight line, the Cayman wouldn’t see which way it went, yet the Cayman feels special every time I turn the key, every time I lay eyes on it, every movement of the steering wheel feels like you’ve been plugged into the front axle. The whole car feels just so right with the right amount of everything.
Side by side with the Impreza, I’ll take the Cayman every day. I also think it speaks volumes that I pushed so hard to get my little Clio back, even when I have arguably one of the finest chassis I’ve ever driven sitting on the drive in form of the R. The little 182 offers a driving experience that I don’t think anything has matched since or probably ever will now

In addition to that, I owned the Clio alongside the Impreza and even with 400hp less, I never had any less fun in the little Clio than I did spitting flames at 2.1bar in the Impreza.

One just cost a whole lot more to run. Lol

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Looks mega mate,love the colour and wheel combo.what colour is it?.looks like a very dark blue?

Its called blue/black pearl. Black in almost every light but in direct sunlight it was a dark blue pearl. Was a stunning colour to be honest.
They made 1000 Prodrive editions, 900 in WR blue (02C) and 100 in blue/black. (08V).

Wheels we’re 18x8 Speedline Turinis as I’m sure you’d already recognised.