ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
2118s cleaned and ready to be sold.
I’ll miss these as frankly, they look the business. 😎

E9EDE476-51EF-4EF3-8C24-394C41207A0F.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Something I’ve been after for a while is a PMS sump guard. I’m always mindful that the car is pretty low and when pressing on in the back of my mind about catching the underside on something.
Luckily one came up on eBay in good condition a few weeks back, so ordered new M8 RivNuts from Nick @ PMS, I already had stainless fasteners in stock.
Fitted it up tonight, which was going perfectly till one of the fasteners nipped up. I’m guessing either a burr on the bolt or insert thread. This then spun the insert upon removal and I knew I was in for some unexpected agro.
Drilled it out and carried on, however where it spun the hole is now so slightly oversized to accept a new insert. There’s so many fixings on it, I’ll live without that one. The rest I copper slipped before final fitting and bolted them up tight.

I can’t see any foul areas on it but I have noticed quite a increase in NVH from it, but not enough that I feel it’s fouling any of the transmission. I’ll have it off again tomorrow and double check for any witness marks. It’s got to come back off anyway as I’ve picked up a pair of Ktec/Vibratechnic engine & gearbox mounts for it.

Biggest surprise is how much it’s stiffened the front end. It feels a more significant improvement than the strut brace added, I totally didn’t expect to notice. I’m not expecting any issues with under bonnet temps but I’ll keep an eye on that too.

E05B89BC-8E3F-4692-8A4E-B57759A1C5BC.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Had it off again tonight as I had a pair of Ktec/Vibratechnics mounts to fit anyway.
Found no witness marks at all on the underside of the sump guard but I did find of the bolts that hold the linkage protection plate was polished on the top. It was just touching the large M12 bolt head that mounts the dogbone to the engine.
Oddly those fasteners which hold the linkage protection plate are just nut/bolts which means they protrude quite a lot from the back of the sump guard.

I’m thinking either some half nuts and shorter hardware or adding Helicoils to the guard and doing away with the nuts completely.

Even with the new VT mounts I’ve no more sump guard resonance, but I’ll know better when I drive to work tomorrow. It’s nice knowing the underside has at least some protection now.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not much to update on the little 182.
Popped to Caffeine & Machine the other week with friends inc @Dr Jekyll, @MrBlonde & @Ash J.
Great day with the company in tow but less said about the actual place the better. Hugely overrated imo and as expected typical Instagram style over substance. Left the Clio at home and took the R for a run. Probably alright if it’s on your doorstep but I’ve got better places local and not worth the 340mile round trip for me to rush back.

Got my Speedlines coated this week ready to go on for winter duty with the Michelin PS3s. KKD R-Evolve should keep them nice.
Finally succumbed to putting them on today, put on the little spacers and dropped the dampers back to 3&2 front & rear.
Always looks cool on Turinis. 🙂

E740BCA9-D9B7-41E3-B869-E4F36CD78C1A.jpeg
EE25298B-4B4F-4C66-815C-835299BE234F.jpeg
45063CB4-47A5-4E76-B85A-FE8B8B049FB4.jpeg

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Not much to update on the little 182.
Popped to Caffeine & Machine the other week with friends inc @Dr Jekyll, @MrBlonde & @Ash J.
Great day with the company in tow but less said about the actual place the better. Hugely overrated imo and as expected typical Instagram style over substance. Left the Clio at home and took the R for a run. Probably alright if it’s on your doorstep but I’ve got better places local and not worth the 340mile round trip for me to rush back.

Got my Speedlines coated this week ready to go on for winter duty with the Michelin PS3s. KKD R-Evolve should keep them nice.
Finally succumbed to putting them on today, put on the little spacers and dropped the dampers back to 3&2 front & rear.
Always looks cool on Turinis. 🙂

View attachment 1499066View attachment 1499067View attachment 1499068
That's a long way for a cup of luke warm coffee 😯
Why didnt you like the place?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
That's a long way for a cup of luke warm coffee 😯
Why didnt you like the place?

Turnout was poor. (not the venues fault!)
Food took longer to arrive than the drive there, and was basic and tepid when it did. Hardly like they were busy either as it was a ticketed event.
So as said, the turnout is nothing to do with them, but the food & drink certainly is.
Just see all the hype built up on social media of this super cool place blah blah and I’m not sure what I was expecting. Just found it all be bit meh really.
The local breakfast clubs we have down here have infinitely better machinery, alongside food and drink that is Michelin star in comparison.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
It’s no issue. You can only speak as you find. I’ll just not be rushing back. It’s only a pub at the end of the day and as said, I’ve far far better on my doorstep with no lack of proper metal in attendance.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Turnout was poor. (not the venues fault!)
Food took longer to arrive than the drive there, and was basic and tepid when it did. Hardly like they were busy either as it was a ticketed event.
So as said, the turnout is nothing to do with them, but the food & drink certainly is.
Just see all the hype built up on social media of this super cool place blah blah and I’m not sure what I was expecting. Just found it all be bit meh really.
The local breakfast clubs we have down here have infinitely better machinery, alongside food and drink that is Michelin star in comparison.
I'd heard similar before but I guess you dont really go for amazing food. Covid will always impact turnout especially with local lockdowns and the like.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
COVID hasn’t helped C&M as usually the variety and quantity of metal there is second to none. Never had an issue with food either (3 or 4 times) but there’s even less of an excuse for any food serving venue to mess things up with fewer covers.

My first trip back up after they reopened was mildly disappointing as it was so much quieter but the breakfast was good and served by a pretty lady which is a bonus.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I've been to C&M once and felt the same as @frayz

I think the issue is we have a good choice of local meets, that other areas may not have.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not much happening on WZD lately.

However something I’ve had for a while has been a freshly powdercoated front ARB I’ve been meaning to fit. The ARB bushes are literally the very last bush on the car to replace. I had been putting them off as they have a reputation for being a royal pain in the arse to fit.
Well after today’s experience I can say with 100% certainty, this isn’t exactly accurate.

I dropped the old bar and refitted the new bar and then proceeded to spend a solid 2 hours fighting with getting one clamp bolt in. Now I’m no stranger to working on cars but even I thought this was excessive. I was so deluded that I was bound to have a fight on my hands, that I made a schoolboy error. I was totally focussed on getting the clamp done up that once done up I knew it still wasn’t right. I text a friend (Alex @ AW Motorworks) with my troubles to which he promptly called me back to tell me what a t**t I was.

I had the bush fitted 90 degrees out and the radius part pointing up. I literally wanted to kick myself at such a stupid error.

I removed the clamp and had both sides fitted up in about 6 minutes. They really are simple when you fit them correctly. Needless to say it was all boxed up with new clamps and stainless fasteners and back in the deck in no time.

So the great ARB bushes debate, they’re easy when you’re not a total berk doing it. Thanks to Alex.

So now these have been changed, that’s every single bush, bearing, mount, joint and linkage renewed and upgraded within the last 12 months. It drives as tight as a drum and feels better than new.

F354AEE0-ACE2-46F7-8060-5BE52FF2C4E7.jpeg
CC00FF2D-B345-499A-A2CD-DF376E3B9E40.jpeg
1385C1AE-8F65-4809-845E-A97FD8E3BF04.jpeg
A3559A9E-9D30-43BD-A3B5-0A3A1CF0A98D.jpeg
588EB6E7-8913-4907-9EC9-3E5CD8690E93.jpeg

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
To echo the above, I went to C&M and also thought it was s**t. Completely overhyped. I think I was there for 20-30 minutes maximum. Luckily at the time I lived within an hour of it. I wouldn’t recommend a long distance travel to it.

it’s okay if your local and just fancy a coffee and chat with a few mates.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of little “tinker” jobs on WZD today.
First up was a nice new bonnet release latch. I had planned to buy one and. Luckily found a new part on eBay for £10.50 delivered so couldn’t pass that up.
Because new bits. :D

Second was replacing all the trim clips on the tailgate trim. I hate rattles and I’ve tried various tactics to shut the boot trim up, inc foam strips etc, however never replaced the clips completely. The old ones were obviously 15 years old and quite hard and brittle. The new ones are lovely fresh soft plastic, and it certainly feels more solid already.
Fingers crossed this helps.

Also ordered some general service items ready for the Christmas break and as I’ve got a feint smell of coolant inside, I’m expecting a heater matrix change on the cards soon too.

Other than that, she’s clicked over 131k miles and doing the daily grind better than ever.

BA2BCCF0-430A-45A7-AF96-0C0B06E43EA3.jpeg
F804EB63-9C00-4333-89CF-0227A067A566.jpeg
9887198C-A913-4E0D-AC89-C18856323FB1.jpeg
252F22D3-8D40-4848-9C7C-8826B8C06B7A.jpeg
C574B8C6-CF06-4279-84DA-01A04ACC9879.jpeg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice. Little details like the new bonnet latch make a big difference. I’ve got a lot of surface rust on various parts in my infernos engine bay.

Tempted to clean them up and maybe have a go at using one of those passivates zinc plating kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Nice little upgrades!

I bet you're looking forward to the heater matrix change..

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
First up was a nice new bonnet release latch. I had planned to buy one and. Luckily found a new part on eBay for £10.50 delivered so couldn’t pass that up.

Second was replacing all the trim clips on the tailgate trim. I hate rattles and I’ve tried various tactics to shut the boot trim up, inc foam strips etc, however never replaced the clips completely. The old ones were obviously 15 years old and quite hard and brittle. The new ones are lovely fresh soft plastic, and it certainly feels more solid already.

Also ordered some general service items ready for the Christmas break and as I’ve got a feint smell of coolant inside, I’m expecting a heater matrix change on the cards soon too.

Other than that, she’s clicked over 131k miles and doing the daily grind better than ever.

View attachment 1509699View attachment 1509700View attachment 1509701View attachment 1509702View attachment 1509703
My boot trim is held on with about 6 panel screws. It doesnt rattle 😂

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice. Little details like the new bonnet latch make a big difference. I’ve got a lot of surface rust on various parts in my infernos engine bay.

Tempted to clean them up and maybe have a go at using one of those passivates zinc plating kits.

Be interested to see how you get on with that mate. Fortunately ive owned mine most of its life.
What on yours is rusty?

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Be interested to see how you get on with that mate. Fortunately ive owned mine most of its life.
What on yours is rusty?

This engine mount and bolts. Will just replace.
b36cca4b2161f6f6e18596b755a247ca.jpg

Bonnet catch, bonnet pull and a load of the fixings on the slam panel. I’ve got a blast cab so will clean them up there and then try the zinc stuff. Just not sure what should be silver vs gold colour.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
This engine mount and bolts. Will just replace. View attachment 1509729

Bonnet catch, bonnet pull and a load of the fixings on the slam panel. I’ve got a blast cab so will clean them up there and then try the zinc stuff. Just not sure what should be silver vs gold colour.

Don’t think you can go wrong with a nice fresh silver on any of it really mate.
375099FF-8325-4B32-B52B-D7F99091C41A.jpeg
C5EE5AE2-E83A-460A-A5F5-616560F2BAF8.jpeg
407E021C-72BD-4128-8C28-EED41710C6BF.jpeg

joe hk&uk

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup

View attachment 1509699View attachment 1509700View attachment 1509701View attachment 1509702View attachment 1509703
Mmm...while reading these that reminds me my cancerous release latch need to b replaced s well, thx for the reminder mate😅

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Lovely read this mate - thing is far to clean to be a daily lol, didn’t know you had a project thread on here - shows my lack of time on forums these days :(

Also agree with the C&M, was expecting the same as you.. we see it as a resting/ refill point now as my friend Matt found a cracking little route from us but it is a long way to go for over priced cold food! They really need more going - couple of driving simulators, RC car track something etc - something Petrol head to do as once you arrive you just sit on a bench, not even a big projector showing motorsport stuff etc

Ace cafe nows a no go for me with all the speed cameras on the way there but the road out the front always used to provide a good nights entertainment!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely read this mate - thing is far to clean to be a daily lol, didn’t know you had a project thread on here - shows my lack of time on forums these days :(

Also agree with the C&M, was expecting the same as you.. we see it as a resting/ refill point now as my friend Matt found a cracking little route from us but it is a long way to go for over priced cold food! They really need more going - couple of driving simulators, RC car track something etc - something Petrol head to do as once you arrive you just sit on a bench, not even a big projector showing motorsport stuff etc

Ace cafe nows a no go for me with all the speed cameras on the way there but the road out the front always used to provide a good nights entertainment!

They have done outdoor projector for british F1 etc. It is a pub at the end of the day, enjoy the company you're there with... It's not day care for petrolheads.

It was better before the covid restrictions to be fair and the food pretty decent when I've been. COVID menu is very limited. The very first visit soon after they opened we shared a large platter which was good value tbh.

BG 182 FF
So, the age old badge question.

I cant decide between the OEM 182 or 197 rear badges. I've purchased both so i can decide. Plan is to remove al the emblems and machine polish the tailgate before refitting new ones along with the "Clio" badge.
I still really like the original design, and wonder if the 197 one is "too modern" on the little 182 boot?

Thoughts? :)

View attachment 1458890View attachment 1458891

Evening Frayz, where is the best place to purchase an OEM 182 rear badge from? Many thanks

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Evening Frayz, where is the best place to purchase an OEM 182 rear badge from? Many thanks
Ebay comes up occasionally but the “RENAULT” text is NLA. Instead you have a revised item of which you have to trim the pins from the rear. The underscore is a slightly different profile too. The “SPORT” is still available from Renault too.

BG 182 FF
Ebay comes up occasionally but the “RENAULT” text is NLA. Instead you have a revised item of which you have to trim the pins from the rear. The underscore is a slightly different profile too. The “SPORT” is still available from Renault too.
Cheers mate, my BG is missing the rear badge + Elf transfer, I presume both were present initially.
Just little jobs I want to do so that the car looks as factory standard as possible.