ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
D07F3B03-E80B-4A72-ABF4-7E25B8ECA71E.jpeg
D381AC7E-B8B4-4D30-9D2F-5E72F0A12252.jpeg
E9F5419C-C490-4663-9413-76DD09E8DEFF.jpeg
132DAD57-704D-44A7-80DC-02348E03C713.jpeg

Ph2 172, R34 Skyline
Great job. The seat mount cracking is a surprising one, is that common?

The morning runs look like fun too, I’m in Essex and take a run out to Bradwell on the odd occasion but I don’t really know of any better/more worthwhile routes that are clear enough in the mornings 😂

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Great job. The seat mount cracking is a surprising one, is that common?

The morning runs look like fun too, I’m in Essex and take a run out to Bradwell on the odd occasion but I don’t really know of any better/more worthwhile routes that are clear enough in the mornings 😂

I know of a few others that have cracked when the OEM spacers are retained. They focus all the seat pressure on a very localised area and the metal fatigues over time.

I lived in Steeple for 10 years so know the Bradwell and Dengie roads well, it’s a great run out that way. There are usually only a few of us, as we like to keep to a small group and drive respectfully. Always a great morning out with friends, enjoying the roads, stopping for the odd photo and usually end up at a coffee/cake stop at the end. 🙂

Ph2 172, R34 Skyline
I’d better check on mine, I can’t comment on the fatness of the previous owner so there may be some surprises lurking 😂

And nice, lovely neck of the woods. I’ll give you a wave if I see you out and about 👋🏻

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
haha - yes thank you.

Your seats are so shiny I initially thought you had two boxes. Thoughts on the under seat sub? Is one enough or are you tempted to add one under the passenger side too?
One of these is more than enough for me mate.
I had my time as an 18 year old with a pair of Eclipse 12s in the boot and more watts of audio than Wembley stadium. Lol. One of these at 150w RMS is more than enough to cope with anything most folk want to listen to and at volumes that are more than enough for me.

They’re inexpensive and so easy to fit, I’d add another if I ever got tired of just the one, but I don’t think that will be anytime soon.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant progress on this as always mate.

The amount of work on that sound deadening is impressive. How long do you reckon it's taken?

How does it feel on your Dawn Raids now? I hope you've managed to keep a bit of noise and French-ness for those weekend runs and yet still have it refined enough for the daily duties?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant progress on this as always mate.

The amount of work on that sound deadening is impressive. How long do you reckon it's taken?

How does it feel on your Dawn Raids now? I hope you've managed to keep a bit of noise and French-ness for those weekend runs and yet still have it refined enough for the daily duties?

Thanks Sam, im not going to lie, it feels like its been a slog. A job i really wanted to do but so glad i broke it down into segments. To do properly just takes so much time and you can easily get carried away just rushing it as its pretty laborious.
The boot and back end took me a week of evenings, the doors were a morning each and the interior cabin was a solid day. So you would need a good few days spare to do it. Of course im using my car in between time, so if you were to strip the car fully and run through the job, start to finish it would be quicker. I also was upgrading audio at the same time, routing cables, speakers etc.

Sound wise inside now, its odd as its still very much a Clio, but the doors sound different when they shut, as does the boot. The sound of the central locking has a deeper tone to it and it feels generally tighter and a bit more premium. All of the Clio'ness is still there and there's no doubting what car you're still in. Blindfolded you wouldn't all of a sudden think you're in a modern car for example. But all of the hums, rattles and buzzes that stiff Clio makes is significantly reduced.
Road noise is down massively and everything going on is more muffled and less aggressive. Yet there's still all the snap, crackle and pop from the ITG Maxogen and PMS de-catted system. Its still all there, just a bit smoother if that makes sense.

I had previously been testing the ambient noise inside the car with an iPhone app, but since my last test, i have swapped over to my summer tyres which as anyone who has used R888Rs will know, they're bloody noisy. So any results i got this morning were purely for fun to see how much improvement had been made.

I was surprised with the following results, these are the average dB readings inside the car under the following conditions.
  • Decibel X app
  • iPhone screen mounted phone holder
  • Same section of road - A127 (A130 to Wickford)
  • 5th gear
  • Cruise control set to 50mph

• Totally untreated car (Michelin PS3) = 82.6dB
  • Rear cabin & boot floor treated (Michelin PS3)=77.3dB
  • As above plus doors treated (Michelin PS3) =74.2dB
  • As above plus front cabin floor treated (Toyo R888R) =72.4dB
  • Total drop in ambient road noise -10.2dB!

Now i know the results are flawed, but as said before, i didn't need an iPhone app to tell me how much better it has made the car. A total drop of over 10dB and that's with noisy rubber on too, its made a noticeable difference to how nice the car is to be in day to day. However one issue is my previously vary quiet PMS shifter is now the loudest thing in the car and i will be forced to revisit shutting it up if i can.

All in its cost me about £140 for the sound deadening materials used and including the audio i have added approx. just under 20kg to the car.

Previous results and this mornings results posted below :)

DCCC8DB3-17AD-49E1-B652-13B5ECF2DB6B.jpeg7CF5942A-0C73-4CE2-899D-849E5A5A321C.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Actually, I've just checked regarding weights.
Deadening was 8kg Dodo Hex, 3.5kg Noico 2mm, 2kg of Super liner. So less audio, if anyone wanted to do the same without audio its approx 13.5kg to do the whole car. I had a tiny bit left over but for weight purposes is negligible.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
That’s a decent result with 888’s on. 10db is going to be very noticeable, I’m assuming with the 888’s off you’ll be able to knock another couple of db’s off?

Good to hear that it it still feels like a Clio, just a little more grown up.
Another thing to add to the list of stuff I’ve read on your build thread and Want to add to my own :ROFLMAO:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Great updates, i love the attention to detail. Epic spec for fast road use.

How are the roll correction rosejoints fairing with road use?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Great updates, i love the attention to detail. Epic spec for fast road use.

How are the roll correction rosejoints fairing with road use?
Thanks, they’re absolutely fine. I keep them as clean as I can and occasionally add some ACF50 to help protect them. The zinc coating does very little at protecting them though, you need to add Dynax or similar to stop the hubs getting eaten. Lol

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Managed to give the old nail a mid winter “wheels off” clean today. Mainly I wanted to give the underside a wash and dampers a good look over. They have been on the car for 10k miles now and I haven’t revisited them since fitting back in April.

It’s no secret my car is my daily driver and gets used in all weathers and conditions. When they were fitted they were liberally coated in ACF50 and then covered with Motamec damper socks. I was very pleased to see my precautions had protected my investment superbly, socks removed, they looked as good as the day they were fitted.

The socks and dampers were washed down, re coated in ACF50 and socks refitted.

Hopefully well protected for another 10k miles.

View attachment 1513495View attachment 1513496View attachment 1513497View attachment 1513498View attachment 1513499View attachment 1513500View attachment 1513501View attachment 1513502View attachment 1513503View attachment 1513504
Are these renault cup wheels or aftermarket turinis with renault centre caps? Car looks great 👍🏻

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nice one. Do you know what are the differences between genuine Cup and aftermarket apart from ET38.5 offset and the centre cap?

iirc they look different, it’s fairly obvious to tell the difference side by side, the spokes don’t look ‘right’ on the aftermarket ones imo

Cliocup182!

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
iirc they look different, it’s fairly obvious to tell the difference side by side, the spokes don’t look ‘right’ on the aftermarket ones imo
Agree. Just curious exactly what makes the cup version look better than aftermarket...

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Agree. Just curious exactly what makes the cup version look better than aftermarket...
The centre of the wheel where the bolt holes are and centre cap fits in is far more ‘dished’ on the genuine Renault Turinis.

I’ve got aftermarket Turinis and they almost look flat compared to the genuine Renault ones. You don’t have to run spigot rings either.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got some time to look at fitting my Corvette brake ducts today. Although these are exceptionally close to an OEM fit, they do not fit right up on a road car.
There was a lot of fitting, warming, forming, tweeking in order to get these to clear certain parts of the chassis, align with the fogs and provide tyre clearance on lock.
i used a hot air gun and a steel tube to mold recesses and clearance curves in the tubes so they didn’t foul on anything. Plastic oem trim rivets we’re used to pin them to the crash beam. Trimmed the arch liners to fit those back in too. Eventually I got a fit that I was reasonably happy with and good tyre clearance on lock.
Now i just need to sort some finishers between the fog light bumper trims and duct tubes.

860D90A2-7FD1-49D9-A24B-C88D4C63E7EC.jpeg
0FFC482F-C965-4F02-9F64-4BFB92B7C5CD.jpeg
10A10C3C-0424-422E-B076-05EA1DE1973C.jpeg
D08C8CF8-2CB4-484B-920F-EE3B7266CBF0.jpeg
764C57FD-9433-47CD-A664-5E14503FD54C.jpeg
173767F9-F488-4CF2-B1DC-8696E1ED9742.jpeg
3136D2C2-7186-43F0-94C7-96712B4069C1.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So, delighted with the fit/function of the Corvette ducts, I needed to address the finishing on the front of the car. So I contacted @04-182 about 3D printing me some finishers that fit into the OEM fog surrounds that also locate into the GM pieces.
A little back and forth with measurements and test pieces and I think we have something thats as close to OEM as I’m likely to get. Function wise they would in theory get more air by having some protruding scoops on the front of the ducts but I think so far, all I’ve seen look a bit naff.
Ive also shared some other ideas with Simon (04-182) so hopefully some nice improvements coming.
Dead happy with the fit of these though, theyre bang on what I was hoping to achieve. Thanks Simon. 😎👌🏼

E4325981-48DB-4C42-BEF8-D3A8E0393FE6.jpeg
386229C5-7740-4E88-B5B6-BD3EEF981890.jpeg
8B80A3E7-AE1E-439E-94CB-F88931C374BA.jpeg
E69AB58C-29B2-44BC-AFA1-2BA46B05FCDB.jpeg
CC4F0712-9B29-4A13-8629-E865957B85E4.jpeg
4B9BE34F-9B03-4C88-9046-53CA63ABF5E0.jpeg
7372E424-387D-46F2-8EA2-0D6DCA759539.jpeg
E87F6721-9DDC-40BF-833C-1177BA1096E6.jpeg
8B4D2DB9-75CC-443B-B8A3-884912A6BFFB.jpeg