ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fred the 1.2 16v mk2 Expression

Hello ClioSport,

I've browsed the forum for months on end before making my first post and my situation is much the same as many of the other 1.2 owners on the site. I'm a skint student with limited funds trying to make my beloved first car a bit more "hard nut" and a little less "Sunday driver".
About 3 months ago I was lucky enough to get a 1.2 16v 04 expression... oh yes... its a 5 door which may not go down too well on this forum however its mechanically sound, only 1 previous owner and had its cambelt replaced as well. Despite still being on my provisional I've decided to make a few aesthetic mods with the hope of passing (first time- lol) in the future. Any suggestions would be great. I'm currently doing exams but during the summer I'm hoping there will be more mods to come.

This is the very little I've done so far:
Dynamique spoiler to replace the rubbish standard piece of crap
RS Grille - picked up a cheap one off ebay for £20 and restored it
Plasti dipped badges black
Back to black on bumpers
French Flag decal

Future Upgrades:
182 alloys (preferably anthracite cup ones) - I know not many people think these look any good on non 182s but I quite like them
Colour coded front and rear bumpers, side panels, bullets in anthracite etc. (Or leave it all standard?)
Bee sting aerial
Lowering springs ( this is a maybe, anyone have any ideas how much this will increase insurance by?)
Perhaps a Cup spoiler at some stage... not in the near future though.

Oh yeah.... a tree landed on my car in the mad winds we've had down South recently. Luckily not too much damage to bodywork, hoping to get this fixed soon.
That's it for now, I appreciate that this thread might be quite slow due to the funding issues and all that but I thought it would be nice to see the progression of another non sport on the forum.

Got a few pics below:
Black front badge
Plate with front black badge.jpg

Tree on my car!!
Tree with plate.jpg

Tree.jpg

A Twingo I saw with some 182 alloys in anthracite
Twingo with 182 alloys.jpg

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Nice start mate! Welcome to ClioSport. As you've probably read from when you have browsed, try not to pump too much money in to this.

2 reasons.

You can save the pennies and buy something quicker when insurance/funds permit but also it's much easier selling a 1.2 Clio as standard instead of one which has had the Halfords touch :D

Nice start mate! Welcome to ClioSport. As you've probably read from when you have browsed, try not to pump too much money in to this.

2 reasons.

You can save the pennies and buy something quicker when insurance/funds permit but also it's much easier selling a 1.2 Clio as standard instead of one which has had the Halfords touch:smiley:
Defo agree with you man, will be spending cautiously - well, as cautiously as possible for a young guy with money burning a hole in his wallet.
clear.png
:D
Nice 197 you've got there!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Defo agree with you man, will be spending cautiously - well, as cautiously as possible for a young guy with money burning a hole in his wallet.
clear.png
:smiley:
Nice 197 you've got there!
Cheers mate! Nice.. but costly! We're in the same boat haha!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Join ClioSport membership. You may get a ClioSport keyring. No need to blur plates out mate, it's pointless :p

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Do you blank them off every time you go for a drive .. or when it's parked up ? Anyway...

As for mods.... trying to make a 1.2 clio 'hard' ... honestly, only you will care what it looks like.

I'm sure there'll be people coming along to say 'oh its your first car, do what you want' but really - having a clean, fairly standard car will be much easier to sell when the time comes. As you've not even passed your test yet, I'm sure the insurance will be daft anyway, let alone +mods.

Keep it clean, keep it shiny side up and get something else with the money saved from not buying every modification under the sun over the next couple of years ;) Seriously - every time you think about spending £5 or £500 on spoilers or wheels, put it into a separate bank account or your sock drawer. In a couple of years you'll be amazed how much money you have !

Do you blank them off every time you go for a drive .. or when it's parked up ? Anyway...

As for mods.... trying to make a 1.2 clio 'hard' ... honestly, only you will care what it looks like.

I'm sure there'll be people coming along to say 'oh its your first car, do what you want' but really - having a clean, fairly standard car will be much easier to sell when the time comes. As you've not even passed your test yet, I'm sure the insurance will be daft anyway, let alone +mods.

Keep it clean, keep it shiny side up and get something else with the money saved from not buying every modification under the sun over the next couple of years :wink: Seriously - every time you think about spending £5 or £500 on spoilers or wheels, put it into a separate bank account or your sock drawer. In a couple of years you'll be amazed how much money you have !

Thanks for the advice, a good reminder. I probably should have mentioned that I have brothers who will also be learning to drive on the Clio so it will be staying in the family for years to come assuming that its still in good mechanical working order or hasn't been driven into a ditch... :wink: so I have no intention of selling it however I do understand where you're coming from, save today in order to spend at a later date. I've kept the standard parts so that if the day comes where I do indeed part with the Clio, I can simply restore it to standard. It's difficult not to get carried away when the 1.2 is actually quite a good base for a potentially great looking car. A couple cheapish mods here and there and I'm a happy man. :up:

I looked at the pictures before I read it all and thought you were trying to take 'arty' pictures of it through a tree 😌.

Plans sound good but some sound advice given, all the best with what you do. :up:

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Id say colour code wingmirror covers bumper sude trips door handles and you've got a spoiler and get the alloys and ull have a smart tydy car minus the tree although ive red a very nice 5 door sport rep which looked the part alrhough it would make much mie sence to do thw above maximum abd then buy somthing else

Id say colour code wingmirror covers bumper sude trips door handles and you've got a spoiler and get the alloys and ull have a smart tydy car minus the tree although ive red a very nice 5 door sport rep which looked the part alrhough it would make much mie sence to do thw above maximum abd then buy somthing else

Think I may put alloys on hold for a while until I become a better driver but when the car goes in to sort out the dents for the tree, I'm hopefully gonna get the bumpers, mirrors, handles and side trim sprayed just to give it a cleaner look. :)

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Deffiently does smartien the car up and make them look more Morden and cleaner as you say u can get some good trim covers which r grey colours untill bur better unless u could buy some which ud wqnt refurbished and get them refurbished after a while but keep the steelies to use while refurbingas an Iidea

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Did the tree damage the windscreen or cause much damage and Howed u get car out guess u gradually cut the tree away? Id be fumming at the land owner if was there tree

Did the tree damage the windscreen or cause much damage and Howed u get car out guess u gradually cut the tree away? Id be fumming at the land owner if was there tree
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply, yeah I was pretty p**sed off, thankfully no windscreen damage, it was the neighbours tree so he paid for some guys to come round and cut it off bit by bit. His insurance wouldn't pay for the damage though and I don't want to claim and affect my premium so I'm gonna get it down privately soon I hope.

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
At least he paid For That I Spose Sounds Expensive Though Thinking How Much My Colour Coding Set Me back On mine

Bought a set 182 alloys for £130 inc shipping. Need a refurb badly and in poor aesthetic condition but no buckles and all of them are true, plus the tyres have got 5-6mm of tread left. Can anyone recommend me any colours - was thinking either gun metal grey or just standard silver. I think black might not look too good with the colour scheme of the car. Will post some pics when they arrive

Alloys done. DIY refurb in Halfords Anthracite alloy spray, really happy with the results considering the paints and equipment etc cost me about £8 a wheel! Giving them a bit of tyre shine. Anyone know where I can get some of the centre Renault badges on the centre cap?

Alloys refurbed.jpg

Small update, blacked out part of lower grille, hardly makes a difference but I had a can of plastidip in the attic and went for it. Black plastidip on front badge was removed... wasn't feeling it

Last edited by a moderator:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Looking good! Keep it clean and simple :)

I did similar to my old money pit, but I sprayed the fog light surrounds rather than the black strip

eef7b886.jpg

And how it ended up

c302f54c.jpg

I would not recommend copying me. It was a waste of money.

Looking good! Keep it clean and simple :smile:

I did similar to my old money pit, but I sprayed the fog light surrounds rather than the black strip

eef7b886.jpg

And how it ended up

c302f54c.jpg

I would not recommend copying me. It was a waste of money.
Cheers Knuckles. Yours must have been a spectacle to behold haha. My rear bumper is in a sorry state so may replace with a 172 , colour code the strips and bullets and I'll leave it at that reckon. You must've turned heads in that 1.2 though

I've been contemplating colour coding for a quite a while now and finally decided to do it. Debated going to a body shop to get it done professionally but couldn't justify spending £150-200 on a few pieces of plastic. I resorted to the dreaded Halfrauds to source my paint and carry out a DIY job. I'd heard horror stories about Halfords paint matching but decided to give it a go. They didn't have my colour (TEF47- Cyclade Blue) so I asked them to make some up for me. I bought 2 300ml aerosols costing around £14 each which they made up in store, plastic primer, Iceberg Silver for the bullets and some lacquer to finish it off. The spray can is hard work to use, the nozzle is incredibly stiff to press but after dropping it in a bucket of warm water for about 5-10 mins it sprayed cleanly without any drips. At first I was worried because the paint looked like a poor match however after I applied the clear coat I can say it seems pretty good for 13 quid. Potato quality pic below.
IMG_20151231_183702957.jpg

Finished the job pretty late so will put them on the car tomorrow and see if it doesn't look horrendous against the bodywork. If its respectable, I'll do the door handles and front bumper trim at a later date, weather permitting.
I'd say for things like colour coding, the Halfords paint is fine- assuming you're not expecting a perfect finish and not too fussed whether the paint is a perfect match however if you're trying to fix dents and blend the paint work, its simply not good enough.

@Fred the Clio - do halfords not offer a matching service where they come out to your car and match your shade?

Looking forward to see how the colour coded bits look on the car.
Thanks Cory, hopefully it will turn out good on the car.
Not sure about the shade matching. I just gave the guy my paint code, he mixed it up and before putting it in the aerosol, he took it outside and we compared it to my car. You never know with Halfords....:tongueout::tongueout:

Haven't updated this for ages so here we go!
Sourced a 172 Cup rear bumper (with an exhaust cut out) - I'm going to be filling it so will update my progress on here.
Also sourced a Cup Spoiler
Both were from @Chapppers11 Thanks buddy.
Colour coded my mirror caps using Halfords paint
In the process of colour coding front bumper insert- Will post when finished.
This car is a real DIY project for me so don't expect super glossy finishes :D All spraying so far has been done by rattle can.
Pic below!
image1 (2).JPG

Attachments

• image3 (1).JPG
    image3 (1).JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 168
I've finished colour coding the front bumper trim on the Clio and it makes such a difference to the front end!
image1 (2).JPG

image2 (2).JPG

Paint was matched by Halfords. Not a bad job.
I also blacked out the fog light surround on the car using Plasti Dip. My clio being the poverty spec Expression doesn't have fog lights so I'll have to fit some just for the aesthetics :)

I had some paint made up (F47) by my local paint shop LE WENT to see if there was any difference between it and the Halfords stuff. The guy at LE WENT had a BG FF 182 so I got talking to him a bit he was a nice enough chap. He matched the shade to my car with a small booklet filled with all the shades of my paint code. Safe to say it's a much better match than the Halfords stuff. I then colour coded my cup spoiler and fitted it. I'm very happy with the finish considering I sprayed it with a rattle can. :D
image3 (1).JPG

image3 (1).JPG

image1 (3).JPG