ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fred the 1.2 16v mk2 Expression

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
How did you go about colour coding your plastics? Is it just a case of sand, primer, spray, clear coat/laquer? Or is it different because its plastic? I want to do the same but I'm not 100% sure how exactly.

How did you go about colour coding your plastics? Is it just a case of sand, primer, spray, clear coat/laquer? Or is it different because its plastic? I want to do the same but I'm not 100% sure how exactly.

Hi mate,
What I did was sand down the plastics with 240 grit to start with and gradually increase the grit as I went along. I wet sanded with 240 to 600 to 800 to 1200 to 2000 to 2500 to 3000 but to be honest I think going up to 1200 will do the job. I just wanted to make sure the plastic was super smooth before painting.

I then bought some plastic primer from Halfords. It's quite crucial to use plastic primer and not just regular primer otherwise the paint could crack and flake off. I did about 2-3 coats of this and left it to dry for around 5-6 hours between each coat before wet sanding each coat with 3000 (this might be overkill, you should be able to get away with just sanding down the primer once all the coats have been applied). I then left it overnight to dry and cure.

I then used my Halfords custom colour matched paint and did 2 coats. I wet sanded the first coat after 3-4 hours and then applied and second coat and left it to cure overnight again! (it's quite a long process lol!)

Finally once the colour coat had cured (4-5 hours) I applied the clear lacquer which I bought from Halfords as well. First a light dusting then I layered 2 heavier coats trying not to get any runs. I then left it to dry for overnight before fitting to the car.

*A key tip I would say is to mask off any clips on the plastic as if they get covered in paint they may expand resulting in them not fitting as cleanly when you put them back on the car.

I've gone into a lot of detail there so sorry about that! The quality of your finish will really depend on how much effort you put into them. I'd say give it a go! As your car is black the paint is more likely to be a better match!
Nice to see another 1.2 btw!
All the best with the spraying if you do it!

Forgot to mention I also restored the headlights on the Clio using my dad's Bosch drill :D, different grits of sand paper, some rubbing compound and a drill polisher attachment. They came up really nice as you can see from the previous photos of the diadems. IMO, hazy headlights can really wreck a car.

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Hi mate,
What I did was sand down the plastics with 240 grit to start with and gradually increase the grit as I went along. I wet sanded with 240 to 600 to 800 to 1200 to 2000 to 2500 to 3000 but to be honest I think going up to 1200 will do the job. I just wanted to make sure the plastic was super smooth before painting.

I then bought some plastic primer from Halfords. It's quite crucial to use plastic primer and not just regular primer otherwise the paint could crack and flake off. I did about 2-3 coats of this and left it to dry for around 5-6 hours between each coat before wet sanding each coat with 3000 (this might be overkill, you should be able to get away with just sanding down the primer once all the coats have been applied). I then left it overnight to dry and cure.

I then used my Halfords custom colour matched paint and did 2 coats. I wet sanded the first coat after 3-4 hours and then applied and second coat and left it to cure overnight again! (it's quite a long process lol!)

Finally once the colour coat had cured (4-5 hours) I applied the clear lacquer which I bought from Halfords as well. First a light dusting then I layered 2 heavier coats trying not to get any runs. I then left it to dry for overnight before fitting to the car.

*A key tip I would say is to mask off any clips on the plastic as if they get covered in paint they may expand resulting in them not fitting as cleanly when you put them back on the car.

I've gone into a lot of detail there so sorry about that! The quality of your finish will really depend on how much effort you put into them. I'd say give it a go! As your car is black the paint is more likely to be a better match!
Nice to see another 1.2 btw!
All the best with the spraying if you do it!
This is exactly what I needed! Cheers bud, I think I'm going to give this a go sometime soon :up:

Gave the car a clean last week and then a once over with Simoniz Quickshine Detailer. Glad to see a week on the car is still beading. Not very uniformly but beading nonetheless.
Beading.JPG

Sorry if answered already but how did you spray the bullets silver but leave the 16V black as I'm wanting to do this to mine! Looking good brother!
Thanks man. I actually sprayed the entire bullet silver using a similar method as mentioned before and then got a really thin brush and carefully painted the blue over the 16V. It takes patience which is why mine looks so terrible close up lol. I'd just get some black paint and go over the 16V. Yours is looking good too bro. :up:

Thanks man. I actually sprayed the entire bullet silver using a similar method as mentioned before and then got a really thin brush and carefully painted the blue over the 16V. It takes patience which is why mine looks so terrible close up lol. I'd just get some black paint and go over the 16V. Yours is looking good too bro. :up:
I shal give it ago when I'm back from Spain. Thanks matey :)

So I think I'm pretty much done with the Clio now.
  1. It went in for a service and had quite a few things done- just general wear and tear such as air filter plugs, oil filter, pollen filter etc. Also had a broken anti-roll bar linkage fixed that was making a bit of a racket.
  2. Had some seriously cheap Sunny tyres that came with the alloys and surprise surprise a year on they've all got cracks, not an MOT failure but still not particularly safe. I've replaced these with 4x Toyo T1Rs. Didn't want anything too budget as it does go on the motorway now and then but obviously being a 1.2 it doesn't need Pilot Super Sports or anything super expensive. Also upped the tyre size from 195 to 205, gives a fuller appearance in the arch and from the rear IMO.
  3. I've also sourced a 172 rear bumper that's been resprayed and I've fitted this on my drive albeit! Pic below.
  4. Bought some sport arch liners on eBay as well as the bumper just doesn't look right without them. I will fit these soon.
  5. With summer over I've also fixed the leaking sunroof with a bit of flexible sealant and a mastic gun, didn't come out as well as I'd hoped but still, a slightly wonky seal is better than a soggy roof liner.
image1.JPG

Exuse the curbed alloy.