ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French logo on the front grille

Clio 182
Hi All

I've seen a few pics on here recently... mostly of trophies... with a small french logo painted/fixed onto the front grille at the right hand corner. (I should have saved the pic to show you what I mean)

Just wondering how this is achieved? Have people just had the grille painted or can you actually buy them done like this ?

Sorry for my ignorance!

Thanks
Mike

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Most people use electrical tape I think.

One guy did at FCS a few years ago and others copied.

Clio 182
Really ? Cant believe how good it looks in the pics I have seen, some immaculate trophies too ! Its a good idea though if it works! :)

Cheers

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
682be8eb.jpg

Clio 182
Thanks mate looks great that

Really nice car.

Think I need to paint my grille before doing it though

Love that engine bay too, Really need to paint my inlet !

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I sprayed my grille satin black, had gone all faded then used some eletrical tape to get my flag, its still going strong!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I painted my grill then used my girlfriends nail varnish :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359494400328.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359494400328.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 330
  172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I like the french flag on the grill i think it looks really good....Stupid question wheres the best place to get the electrical tape from lads?

Clio 182
Hahaha where the hell did all that banter come from? lol. On a serious note, it does look really good. Is it "Fonner" the guy from Denmark? That clio was the inspiration for me

Amazed it ends up looking that good with just tape. Have ordered mine today - 99p a roll.

Need the grille spraying gloss black asap though ! Been quote around £55 from a trader on here, but might attempt it myself.... just dreading the prep work on the mofo ! :(

Sport 172 flame Red
Go to your local electrical wholesalers, cheap tapes are not sticky, fade very easy and are all round bad quality.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Mike do it satin not gloss. Gloss with chip and look terribly cheap and tacky.

Clio 182
Gally, thanks for that mate. I think i'm going to bite the bullet and have a go at painting it myself - SprayShack have quoted me £50 + VAT, plus id have to buy a grille to send them, and I have to pay the postage either way aswell..... rather pricey just to paint some faded plastic.Sanding the grille is going to be absolutely boring as hell though haha. :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you do light coats you don't actually need to key it.

The only thing you should be keying it with is a light scotchbrite pad, yellow probably. Forget sanding or brillo pads.

Clio 182
If you do light coats you don't actually need to key it.The only thing you should be keying it with is a light scotchbrite pad, yellow probably. Forget sanding or brillo pads.
What about the green sanding pads at halfords mate are they ok ? Then just plastic grey primer, satin black and lacquer ?CheersMike

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No lacquer or primer mate, just a tin of aerosol satin black is fine, well shaken and from a distance with light coats, mask up the parts you need.

I have no idea what those green things are but you just need a very light key mate, you're not painting the grille you're just coating it, restoring it slightly.

Clio 182
No lacquer or primer mate, just a tin of aerosol satin black is fine, well shaken and from a distance with light coats, mask up the parts you need.I have no idea what those green things are but you just need a very light key mate, you're not painting the grille you're just coating it, restoring it slightly.
Ah right , I wouldnt have thought it would stick mate without the primer, but I guess the works already been done on the grille and im just restoring as you say, so thanks for that infoThis was what I was meaning for sanding/keying mate : http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...oductId_161138_langId_-1_categoryId_255242Its going to be a nightmare keying inside each little hole of the grille lolHow do they come out mate ? it is just the screw either side or clips aswell ? I have a rather worrying ability to snap plastic clips :( haha :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right , I wouldnt have thought it would stick mate without the primer, but I guess the works already been done on the grille and im just restoring as you say, so thanks for that infoThis was what I was meaning for sanding/keying mate : http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...oductId_161138_langId_-1_categoryId_255242Its going to be a nightmare keying inside each little hole of the grille lolHow do they come out mate ? it is just the screw either side or clips aswell ? I have a rather worrying ability to snap plastic clips :( haha :)

They look very harsh mate, go to your local bodyshop and ask for one.

The front bumper needs to come off mate to take the top and bottom grille off, easy peasy though, no clips to break really just pop off. Also you won't break the little squares just take it easy.

Clio 182
I think its only the top one that needs painting mate ? The bottom one doesnt seem anywhere near as faded, whereas the top one is almost blue like a ph1 interior its faded that badly lol.Those pads arent actually that harsh really, certainly nowhere near as rough as sandpaper. Also have some wire wool aswell would that be any good ?Hope theres a guide on here for bumper removal - I hate removing them ! Cheers again for your advice mate I appreciate it.

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
That actually looks a lot better than I thought it would reading the thread title...

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
When i paintef my grills i just gave them a good clean then a couple of coats of plastic primer then a couple of black paint. Sorted!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Of course you can, it might help it key even better but if you're doing it quick it's not essential. on large piece like side strips etc then yes but grilles are much different.