ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fully spec'd 200 Vs turbo'd Trophy

work for BMW
Hell no keep your 200!! So much could go wrong with the T and I bet you wouldn't be able to resale for £10k after paying it

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
If I was in the market for a car like that I'd probably be prepared to pay somewhere between £7500-8000 but I think it's a bit too much atm... rather get a nice Evo or M3 for £10000!

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
If I was in the market for a car like that I'd probably be prepared to pay somewhere between £7500-8000 but I think it's a bit too much atm... rather get a nice Evo or M3 for £10000!

Agreed about £7500 - £8000

Cup In bits
Its a really clean standard trophy with a turbo fitted, not 10k worthy despite what the owner will have spent having someone build it and feel's its worth. One good point is the low milage everything that's been fitted to it according to the advert.

Turbo Trophy Evo 8,
Yes that's it, you have got it spot on, just a turbo bolted to it, is that how you do it just bolt a turbo to it, I wish I knew this before the pistons, rods ,intercooler, ecu, injectors, fuel pumps, clutch, diff,exhaust,engine mounts one off turbo unit ahh thats it the turbo unit it just bolt on, I suppose if I stripped it and took away many parts lowered it maybe a cage and used it as a race track car it would be worth more, thats what usually happens buy a cup at £1200 strip it change to coilovers cage thrash the hell out of it then sell for £3000,same car all parts gone and sold for double, I suppose that that is acceptable.

I've no doubt it's an awesome toy, but f**k using it as a daily. Something that highly tuned needs constant maintenance and attention to keep it running sweetly. I could run a 500bhp Supra for the money my Focus costs, I don't have to lie underneath the Focus tinkering with it every weekend though.

Keep the 200.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Everything has been done nicely on it and it looks oem but the gearbox would put me off. Yes it's got the Quaife to put the power down, but what's it got to stop it breaking?

The JC5 is known to be weak. 400lb/ft is like you or me smoking a 200 a day and drinking meths. It won't end well and it'll happen pretty quickly.

If I was to spend 10k I'd be expecting a R26 or VAG box in there.

172 cup
buy a focus st pre facelift for 5k tune it to 320bhp for 1k by sourcing the parts second hand, i have got mine running cp320 on a 08 plate for 40000 miles no problems at all im now moving to rs turbo route 420bhp the sound,comfort and how reliable they are will prove a better buy than the trophy

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
buy a focus st pre facelift for 5k tune it to 320bhp for 1k by sourcing the parts second hand, i have got mine running cp320 on a 08 plate for 40000 miles no problems at all im now moving to rs turbo route 420bhp the sound,comfort and how reliable they are will prove a better buy than the trophy

Your advice is a bit strange..

A trophy and focus ST are completely different cars. 300 in a trophy would be alot more fun than 300 in the ST :D

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
For £10k my money would be going Subaru/Evo, not a boosted Clio. I'm sure it is immaculate and has a high spec, but £10k?!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Theres got to be something going on with it surely..

Why would you spend so much money on a car like this and only drive it 300 miles in 2 years?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
My Subaru covered VERY minimal mileage during the previous owners ownership and it's not far off showroom condition. To me the Trophy looks immaculate and has clearly been well cared for.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Lets be honest most the people in this thread wont be turboing there clio, therefore 10k on a mint low milage trophy with "a turbo bolted on" lol will seem expensive, however if you are in the market for a turbo'd clio this will be a good buy, if your intending on paying the likes of ktec to do the conversion for you it will end up costing more.

clio diesel
So take about the only reliable thing on these cars, the engine, and replace it with a less reliable item. No thanks.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
So many people commenting in here with no idea, or not having even read the advert.

172 cup
Your advice is a bit strange..

A trophy and focus ST are completely different cars. 300 in a trophy would be alot more fun than 300 in the ST :D

not really strange a anti roll bar and springs makes the st totally different in the corners, what would u rather have a st to enjoy 12 months a year with little maintenance or trophy always wondering when the gearbox is going to blow, what i was trying to say is the pros out weight the cons with a st, and the st can go far above 300bhp with a block mod, forged pistons and rods so theres room for more power

clio diesel
I assume you haven't read the advert properly.

You should quote posts so people know who you are referring to. If it was me, yes i have read the advert. Some guy has started a project, chucked money at it thinking it will improve the car, realised he ruined it (or perhaps is now in debt and need to make money back) , and now wants to sell after not driving it. There are hundreds of such cars for sale each year.

If you want a fast car buy a fast car. If you want a fun little hot hatch buy one. Trying to turn one into another is a quick road to financial ruin and breaking down all the time. Nick Read did one of the first turbo conversions on a clio and i think he chucked something like 30k at that car. Yes it was fast, when it worked, but it was in bits being repaired most of the time. Nothing i have seen since then has changed my mind about this matter.

And with Nicks car it wasnt the engine that broke. It was all the things that the huge power put extra stresses on, that he couldnt afford to uprate because to do so means buying group a parts from a rally car catelogue, and then they still break, just not so often.

You buy a turbo car with stupid power be prepared to buy lots of driveshafts, gearboxes and engone mounts, and take lots of your time replacing things.Or you could just buy a car designed to have big power and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Agree with the above, people do it because they like working on cars but if anyone expects to get back there investment they will be disappointed. As I know nothing about cars I prefer to buy something that's been built and finished. That way you stand a chance of recouping your money if you don't blow it up :)

Evo 5 RS
You should quote posts so people know who you are referring to. If it was me, yes i have read the advert. Some guy has started a project, chucked money at it thinking it will improve the car, realised he ruined it (or perhaps is now in debt and need to make money back) , and now wants to sell after not driving it. There are hundreds of such cars for sale each year.

If you want a fast car buy a fast car. If you want a fun little hot hatch buy one. Trying to turn one into another is a quick road to financial ruin and breaking down all the time. Nick Read did one of the first turbo conversions on a clio and i think he chucked something like 30k at that car. Yes it was fast, when it worked, but it was in bits being repaired most of the time. Nothing i have seen since then has changed my mind about this matter.

And with Nicks car it wasnt the engine that broke. It was all the things that the huge power put extra stresses on, that he couldnt afford to uprate because to do so means buying group a parts from a rally car catelogue, and then they still break, just not so often.

You buy a turbo car with stupid power be prepared to buy lots of driveshafts, gearboxes and engone mounts, and take lots of your time replacing things.Or you could just buy a car designed to have big power and enjoy it.

Only thing liable to have excessive wear is the gearbox and clutch. The rest isn't really an issue on these. Why would you use one of the first conversions ever done as a prime example? Bit silly.

The engine has been forged and is running sensible boost. As an every day car it probably isn't as practical as it could be especially with kids. So your comments about financial ruin are pretty stupid. Especially given the fact you know nothing about the seller.

So although the thought might terrify you, as said already this is the perfect car for someone looking for an understated hatch with a lot of power. It's just not the ideal family wagon.

Cooksport Fleet
Is this the one with 225 pistons and rods? (Excuse me if its been said, CBA to read through on my phone)

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
There are a couple running "ticking time bomb" levels of power with megane internals, ktec didn't build this one.