ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fully spec'd 200 Vs turbo'd Trophy

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
not really strange a anti roll bar and springs makes the st totally different in the corners, what would u rather have a st to enjoy 12 months a year with little maintenance or trophy always wondering when the gearbox is going to blow, what i was trying to say is the pros out weight the cons with a st, and the st can go far above 300bhp with a block mod, forged pistons and rods so theres room for more power

A ST is a completely different car to a trophy.

If the OP wanted a ST then im sure he'd be looking at one, not a clio.

Mental 172 Cup
My bad, I'm 99% sure there was a video going around of this very car at K-Tec though in a pretty poorly state.. I remember seeing it..

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Oh dear.

However maybe the OP would want to comment on this before people say the cars fubared, this fault may have been rectified.

Clio 172 182 197 200
What are the limits of the megane pistons and rods.... any one got any actual test or info?

The megane pistons are great for a cheap conversion and if mapped correctly will last, the none rising rate fuel pressure regular set up on modded meganes is in my opinion why these crack ringlands.

Rods how ever well scoff ran 500hp with stock rods and they lasted a while at drag racing. And I belive the bolt snapped over the rod.

Ive had 336bhp and 350lbs on two of my own cars with stock 225 equipment with 20 track days and every day abuse and no problems. The guy who bought it from me says its going great.

:)

Andyrg

Cooksport Fleet
I personally wouldn't run over 290/300 on a standard 225 setup and fuel system.

Entirely depends on mapping though.

That's just my personal preference.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
http://www.youtube.com/embed/vvI8De3Qn34

This video shows the result of a scored bearing housing on a refurbished Hybrid turbo which was not picked up by the turbo supplier. We had it independantly checked on behalf of Darren, the owner, and confirmed that this was the issue. Turbo was replaced with a new core and re-fitted, the car has never smoked since.

This car is an excellent example of what can be acheived by individuals who are wanting to build a personalised product with great results.

Sean.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
What are the limits of the megane pistons and rods.... any one got any actual test or info?

The megane pistons are great for a cheap conversion and if mapped correctly will last, the none rising rate fuel pressure regular set up on modded meganes is in my opinion why these crack ringlands.

Rods how ever well scoff ran 500hp with stock rods and they lasted a while at drag racing. And I belive the bolt snapped over the rod.

Ive had 336bhp and 350lbs on two of my own cars with stock 225 equipment with 20 track days and every day abuse and no problems. The guy who bought it from me says its going great.

:)

Andyrg

Hi andy, it was a rod that let go, and at about 450hp. The other 3 came out with noticable bends in them! As above, I wouldn't chance much more than 300hp for any length of time. :)

late 2003 172cup
I have just bought this car and it really is mint. It came with lots of receipts. Only the best parts used. The owner was a good bloke too. I am only running it on low boost but its there if you want.
And too be honest it's not slow.
I think like someone said its worth what your willing to pay. I did not pay 10k, I won't let in what I paid. But I am happy as I have always wanted a trophy. (This is prob the best one out there as it low miles and still immaculate) always wanted a Clio with that little more power (lol, I know) and lets be honest it's a right sleeper. It's the recirc valve that gives it away when you boot it. The handling is way better than my 172 cup.
I am happy tho, it came with some track wheels with slicks. So I might give it a go next year. :)

late 2003 172cup
Cheers, don't be jealous mate. My mate has just bought a Clio 200 like yours and I like the look lol. Just wish it had the trophy performance.
I am on a holiday at the mo and the Clio sits at home :(
I just got to suss the boost controller. Be nice to get it running 15psi. Running 10 at the mo. can run 26psi but I don't want to push that. when it was rollered at 336bhp it was running 18psi.
Be nice to find a complete solution . To run max power on the odd sprint and not break it :) it was a lovely drive home. I love the way it handles. Shocks and dampers were refurbished and unlocked? It really feels great. I like how you can fly over speed bumps. Shows how good the shocks really are.

RB 182 FF
It's a cracking car for someone who wants a bespoke car that's a wolf in sheeps clothing. You'd need a contingency fund though to repair the butter box when it shatters and potentially other stuff. I'd personally spend 12k on a BMW M5 V10 and spend about the same amount running it....

RS Clio 172 Cup
It's a cracking car for someone who wants a bespoke car that's a wolf in sheeps clothing. You'd need a contingency fund though to repair the butter box when it shatters and potentially other stuff. I'd personally spend 12k on a BMW M5 V10 and spend about the same amount running it....

And tyres ;)

late 2003 172cup

Cheers mate
Gear box was rebuilt. Oil changed before and after few laps on a track. If it breaks there is another plan of action. And I have a good box builder on standby. I don't do Many miles really and it's gonna spend most of its life in low boost setting.
Thanks again

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Good luck with it- As long as your happy & you got it for an acceptable price then that's all that matters- I will be wondering what to put PH1 race car up for with 27k in receipts.

S

Cup In bits
Definitely something different, can't beat an an immaculate car but my OCD comes out in my experience you are scared to use them incase they get chipped, dirty, break.

Enjoy, keen to here your box plans if they're anything different to the VW, megane or 197 route.

535d / t5 caravelle
buy a focus st pre facelift for 5k tune it to 320bhp for 1k by sourcing the parts second hand, i have got mine running cp320 on a 08 plate for 40000 miles no problems at all im now moving to rs turbo route 420bhp the sound,comfort and how reliable they are will prove a better buy than the trophy

i thought the st's where on the limit at 330bhp? any more and pop!?

ignore that seen your next post lol

I have just bought this car and it really is mint. It came with lots of receipts. Only the best parts used. The owner was a good bloke too. I am only running it on low boost but its there if you want.
And too be honest it's not slow.
I think like someone said its worth what your willing to pay. I did not pay 10k, I won't let in what I paid. But I am happy as I have always wanted a trophy. (This is prob the best one out there as it low miles and still immaculate) always wanted a Clio with that little more power (lol, I know) and lets be honest it's a right sleeper. It's the recirc valve that gives it away when you boot it. The handling is way better than my 172 cup.
I am happy tho, it came with some track wheels with slicks. So I might give it a go next year. :)

Awesome :) make sure you get us a load of pics when it's been cleaned and maybe a few videos too!!

late 2003 172cup
I'm pretty sure an e60 M5 would be approx. 1 billion times more expensive to run than a turbo'd clio, especially a sheddy £12k example.

A bloke I know has an M5 and its stupid quick, de restricted with near 700bhp. A yamaha R1 bike. But his fun car on the side that he really loves........

Arden blue Astra gsi turbo, fully forged running 356bhp. He loves it more.
I have an eds 3.5 Astra Sri turbo that's at the moment having head work and cambelt change. Nice smooth power, lovely sounds and comfortable on a long run. I could of made that silly horse power but small light weight with power slightly takes it.
I have a friend who is into turbo'd civics. They are quick but sound like a Bee on speed down a megaphone!
Everyone has there preferences, all cars do something better than others. You got to respect them all in the end.

RB 182 FF
I'm pretty sure an e60 M5 would be approx. 1 billion times more expensive to run than a turbo'd clio, especially a sheddy £12k example.

Well my brother has just bought one for 12.5k as it happens and it's anything but a shed! 06 plate, done 60k miles full dealer history, had the stupidly expensive brakes replaced all round, SMG all sorted, nearly new tyres all round... How much it costs to run will be interestng though, we shall see!

Also just to clarify to Brucey106, Im not knocking the Trophy at all and it looks an awesome bit of kit! If had the funds I probably would have been tempted as well, just highly tuned cars from what I've seen with a couple of mates is they spend more time in the garage than on the road but hopefully the T will be different! Must be such a laugh to blow away all sorts in a Clio! :D

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Some brilliant valuations ITT.

If you want a Clio turbo, might aswell buy one ready made unless you're into the whole progress thing which will undoubtedly cost more.

A 300hp Clio is mental power though. I imagine it dispatches pretty much anything on the road with ease.