ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funniest Thing You Have Been Told By A Dealer...

Lionel Richie
Great thread... :) here's some that I can think of...

Reanult Nottingham - I had snapped an off-side front spring on my Williams2 so I went to the parts department to get a replacement. When I told them what I wanted they said that the Williams can have various types of spring fitted. News to me, I thought, so I asked him how to find out which one I had and apparently there are some painted stripes on the coil itself. Unfortunately these are at the top and only visible when you take the spring off - which of course they offered to do for me... Just went to an independent garage in the end.

^i believe that's actually correct

Lotus Elise 111R
Went into Tates Renault in Brighton for a Monaco Blue touch up pen, and was told there is no such colour as Monaco Blue, so I pointed to my car through the window...doh!

Ultra Blue R26
When I was looking for my car I phoned up and said "I'd like to test drive an R26" they said "R26? What's that?" needless to say I hung up and tried another dealer.

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
I got told that the Clio Dynamique didn't have electric rear windows just in case the car went into a lake the passengers could get out....at this point I asked to have a word with the Manager and told him to stop speaking crap to buyers, it is easier to tell the truth: Renault is cheap enough to give us electric front windows and manual rear windows...lol

White clique
mine wasn't that funny but was bloody annoying -
i booked my clio for an annual service, Renault dealer, and asked for a courtesty car, which meant i had to wait an extra couple of weeks for the service to be done, completely fair enough.
I turn up on the day, taking a 20 mile detour to work to get to the dealer to be told that there was no courtesy car marked against my booking and that i "must be mistaken", and "was i sure i definitely asked?".
Yes. They must be right, it was all a dream, i waited an extra 2 weeks for fun and invented the courtesy car story for attention. They wouldnt budge, so i told them to stuff the £300 of work as i needed a car for the day and went elsewhere out of principle.
*a classic computer says no / jobsworth moment*

White clique
Just thought of another silly one...

*Some time in 2005* -
Me - Thats a nice new black gold 182, can i take it for a test drive
Dealer - yes, black's the best colour by far, etc etc big yawn..
Me - I'll buy it.

*About 3 months ago, same dealer and pretty sure same guy*-
(I didnt tell him i wanted to trade in my 182, he didnt recognise me)

Me tricking him - just seen you have a nice clio for sale, can you tell me do they hold their value well? (another 182 but newer)
Dealer - OH YES, very well, much better than say a Mini Copper (!??!)
Me - WELL THATS GOOD NEWS, as i have one i want to trade in, so you should be able to give me a decent price!
Dealer - takes a look around it, offers a derisory sum
Me - thats about £1000 below book for the condition
Dealer - Yes, but unfortunately Black isnt one of the popular colours and are hard to shift.

Now i can see why he tried so hard to convince me back in 2005 that black was the way forward. I dont believe him anyway, black gold looks lovely.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
OMFG!!! This thread is awesome!

FAF! I can't think of a better way to kill 3 hours at work reading it post by post:approve:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Great thread... :) here's some that I can think of...

Reanult Nottingham - I had snapped an off-side front spring on my Williams2 so I went to the parts department to get a replacement. When I told them what I wanted they said that the Williams can have various types of spring fitted. News to me, I thought, so I asked him how to find out which one I had and apparently there are some painted stripes on the coil itself. Unfortunately these are at the top and only visible when you take the spring off - which of course they offered to do for me... Just went to an independent garage in the end.

^i believe that's actually correct

hollingbury? - I find that garage to be pretty good tbh!

I was told earlier today,
"Your car will be ready before 12"

Then it wasn't handed over after a service till 12.55pm
Despite me being there from 11.45am.

It was also returned without the locking wheel nut key and spares.

I love Arnold Clark.
They shall be getting a stern phone call in the morning.

Last edited:
  2 litre twin turbo estate
went to vauxhall asked em for sommat as quick as my 182 he produced a vectra 1.8 sri i said thats not quicker than mine he said yes it is its an SRI yours is only a sport lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
LOL. 197 went in for an AC fault under warranty. Dropped off the car in the morning, "should be done around 16.30 sir" Yep no worries. So appear at half 4 the same day, noticed it was still in the workshop. Go to the reception desk, " ah yes the mechanic is just finishing off the paperwork" Ok no worries i thought, had a nosey round the show room etc. Anyway, 15 mins gone, i got called over. "sorted the AC fault sir, just some paper work to complete" So the bird at reception is printing off the details etc. Then said, "right, thats £233" WTF??, "whats that for?" i said, its only for a AC reset and the cars under warranty!!! "its for the service"..... Er what service???!!?! So off she goes to the service manager..... comes back. "Right well we can give you the service half price".... me "its not in for a service, its not due for another 6k, whays it been serviced, and who's told you to do it???!!!" Anyway, i wasnt paying a thing, so had a 24k service for free, thats oil+filter, pollen filter and airfilter. Free parts FTW!!!!

Porsche Boxster987S
LOL. 197 went in for an AC fault under warranty. Dropped off the car in the morning, "should be done around 16.30 sir" Yep no worries. So appear at half 4 the same day, noticed it was still in the workshop. Go to the reception desk, " ah yes the mechanic is just finishing off the paperwork" Ok no worries i thought, had a nosey round the show room etc. Anyway, 15 mins gone, i got called over. "sorted the AC fault sir, just some paper work to complete" So the bird at reception is printing off the details etc. Then said, "right, thats £233" WTF??, "whats that for?" i said, its only for a AC reset and the cars under warranty!!! "its for the service"..... Er what service???!!?! So off she goes to the service manager..... comes back. "Right well we can give you the service half price".... me "its not in for a service, its not due for another 6k, whays it been serviced, and who's told you to do it???!!!" Anyway, i wasnt paying a thing, so had a 24k service for free, thats oil+filter, pollen filter and airfilter. Free parts FTW!!!!
not too bad of an outcome but putting it through the service in the first place is shocking!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I know lol!!!! Mussent grumble!!!. Good knows why they did it though???

Porsche Boxster987S
to try and get your money lol. hoping you would say . . "thanks for that , will save me a trip to bring it back next time".

absolute cowboys

FLOL Result!

Honda Integra Type R
I work for Renault as an Apprentice and overheard a Customer talking to an RTE. Explaining that she had just tax'ed her car and because her emmisions were high her tax was very expensive, and was wondering if we can turn her emmissions down haha. How i laughed

53 Clio's & counting
i was told:

"no Mr Fitch you cant buy tie rods seperate,you have to purchace a whole steering rack, luckly i have one in stock, £400 to you "

also:

"Well iv had a look and there is no such thing as a gearbox mount for your vehicle,you must be thinking about another type of car"

your not going to believe this but you can get the tie rods seperate and clio 172's did have a mount supporting the gearbox not just air :rolleyes:

Family Bus
I went into Reno when I had a problem with starting...said to the lovely lady ... Ive got a fault on my 172... She replied 'Whats one of those?'
**bangs head on desk**

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
I have a problem with my immobiliser.. Bring it up and we'll have a look.
Eh yeah, i'll just push it..

And

I need a rear wiper blade for a mk2 ph1 clio - whats your vin number..
It's a mk2 ph1 clio - Whats your vin number..

Clio 1.2 16v
I once had a renault techi tell me that the gearbox oil in my car was of the wrong type.Ramped up the car and showed him the nuts on the gearbox and they hadnt ever been taken off.I told him it hadnt been changed since the purchase of the car but he insisted that it was wrong.

Dont trust renualt scum!!!

End of.......

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
'Pat' - the salesmen at Honda in Scarborough - such a legend I thought he needed naming :D He told me recently when looking at the new Type R with a mate "It's a lot faster than the old one - a lot more bhp" and also it has "A lot more power than the Astra VXR - which isn't in the same league performance wise". I then couldn't help but point out, the new Type R had 1 more bhp than the old one, and the Astra had a full 40bhp on them both...

He and another salesmen then went through the most cringeworthy routine you have ever seen regarding "What an amazing offer you're been offered here!". Seriously it was so staged and pathetic I couldn't even look him in the eye, I was that embarassed for him.

So I started thinking all Honda dealers might be like, a bit snobby, a bit arsey, but then when I went to see the R27 I have just bought from Honda in Scunthorpe, the salesmen freely admitted he didn't know much about them because he didn't sell Renaults usually, but he'd driven it on their test drive when it first came in and thought it felt quicker than the new Type R :)

Dan

A Beautiful R32
Went in to Renault today to see how much a new set of front brake pads would cost. He put them on the desk, and goes £50... Really I said? I can get good brake pads for £30. To that he snatched them off the counter, said "off you go then..." (very rudely) and then walked off. I might have bought them if he was polite too... The very funny thing is that we were going to buy a Fiat 500 from the same dealership (it's one of those multi- make type dealers). Now we're not... So, they just lost the sale of a £10k car. Good work... Goooooooooood Work. Whilst waiting for me in the car park, my mrs saw one of their mechanics ragging a 182 around, blatently a customers car as it had plastic seat covers on. The thought of ever going back there fills me with dread, we're gonna find somewhere else to get that 500 from.... ;)

Porsche Boxster987S
Went in to Renault today to see how much a new set of front brake pads would cost. He put them on the desk, and goes £50... Really I said? I can get good brake pads for £30. To that he snatched them off the counter, said "off you go then..." (very rudely) and then walked off. I might have bought them if he was polite too... The very funny thing is that we were going to buy a Fiat 500 from the same dealership (it's one of those multi- make type dealers). Now we're not... So, they just lost the sale of a £10k car. Good work... Goooooooooood Work. Whilst waiting for me in the car park, my mrs saw one of their mechanics ragging a 182 around, blatently a customers car as it had plastic seat covers on. The thought of ever going back there fills me with dread, we're gonna find somewhere else to get that 500 from.... ;)
my god they really are arseholes!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Name and shame! Also make sure you phone, and ask to speak to the dealer principle, and explain to him which member of staff just lost him several grand.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Few years ago, 2 of the gf's wheels were stolen (no idea why, standard rover 25 1.4). Rings up the garage, girl on reception "Oh dear, that sounds nasty. If you drive over, we'll take a look".
Kind of moron that fails a mcdonalds interview.

Chelsea tractor
Few years ago, 2 of the gf's wheels were stolen (no idea why, standard rover 25 1.4). Rings up the garage, girl on reception "Oh dear, that sounds nasty. If you drive over, we'll take a look".
Kind of moron that fails a mcdonalds interview.
pmsl

Clio 182 - Cup Suspension
When I rang the Renault dealer for some new tyres, the conversation went like this:

"What type of car is it"

"It's a Clio 182"

"And what size tyres are they?"

"What do you mean, what size tyres are they, can you not look it up?"

"What type of car is it?"

"(Sigh) It's a Clio 182"

"And that's a Renault?"

"Yes, yes it is."

"Are you sure? We don't have it listed."

"Well you've got a blue one on the forecourt, can you not go and look?"

"I'll get the service manager to call you back."

Some time later the service manager calls me

"What type of car is it?"

"(Banging head against wall)It's a Clio 182."

"And what size tyres does it need?"

For the record, I do know what size tyres it needs, but in my opinion, so should the dealer. There comes a point when talking to my Renault dealer when you lose the will to live. It's like this every time I ring them. Like the day they told me they wanted nearly £800 and two days to change the auxiliary belt and tensioner. I'm still laughing.

Inferno Orange 182 FF
hahaha just goes to show what they know!!
i rang for an insurance quote the other day
Insurance: "what model is it?"
Me: "clio 182"
Inurance: "a what?"
Me: "182"
Inurance: "theres a 172?"
Me:"no 182"
Inurance: "theres a 197"
Me: "no its a 182"
Inurance: "well i can quote u for a 172"
Me: "why? its a 182 it isnt the same"
Inurance: "well ill do it for a 182, it will only be an estomate anyway as yo dont have the reg"

Grrrr!!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
When I rang the Renault dealer for some new tyres, the conversation went like this....
^Whilst i see the humour and irritation in that story, memorising all the tyre sizes for all the renault range is a bit much to expect of them isn't it?

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
When I rang the Renault dealer for some new tyres, the conversation went like this....
^Whilst i see the humour and irritation in that story, memorising all the tyre sizes for all the renault range is a bit much to expect of them isn't it?

Although checking the details on the computer thats right infront of their eyes is not too much to ask...

...i think alot of them are just plain lazy. I dropped by a Renault dealer on the way home from work having just worked a night shift and the 'gentleman' on the service desk positively sneered at me, the jumped up little idiot. Just because you wear a tie to work doesnt automatically make you important!

Ph-Sold!
hahaha just goes to show what they know!!
i rang for an insurance quote the other day
Insurance: "what model is it?"
Me: "clio 182"
Inurance: "a what?"
Me: "182"
Inurance: "theres a 172?"
Me:"no 182"
Inurance: "theres a 197"
Me: "no its a 182"
Inurance: "well i can quote u for a 172"
Me: "why? its a 182 it isnt the same"
Inurance: "well ill do it for a 182, it will only be an estomate anyway as yo dont have the reg"

Grrrr!!

In fairness to Renault and most insurance companies the Renaultsports are always usually listed as 2.0 16v, but it is annoying!