ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funniest Thing You Have Been Told By A Dealer...

White clique
Name and shame! Also make sure you phone, and ask to speak to the dealer principle, and explain to him which member of staff just lost him several grand.
I think you should name and shame too - the complacent attitude of some of these companies is shoddy to say the least.

The funniest scenario i heard about (tho to claim i was there would be total 'ollocks) was that Guy Stelios from Easy jet. When he decided to start up easy rent a car, he initially went to Rover for some 25's, who were struggling a bit, even back then. He said that he wanted to make a salesmans day, and to make him or her rich, so he rang his local dealer. In a newspaper interview he said the conversation went as follows:-

Stelios - Hi, its Stelios, Easyjet, i'd like to order 4,500 Rover 25s please
Salesman - urmm, ok right, is this a wind up etc, let me take your number and i will call you back (the textbook salesmans method to sift out pranksters)
... Stelios gives him his real mobile number, and no call back AT ALL

He then buys 4,500 Merc A classes instead, and sent a copy of the invoice as proof to MD of Rover.

Gutted. :lolup:

I took the 306 s16 in to a fast fit type place
Mechanic... ive done your exhaust for you but ive noticed that the rear shocks are leaking oil, they need changing as the car is dangerous.
Me... they are filled with gas.
Mechanic... oh

There's oil in there too ;)

"
Yes and no. A popular misconception is that a gas shock works on gas where as an oil (normal) shock works on oil. All conventional automotive shocks work by forcing oil through a programmed set of holes, however a gas shock will use compressed gas to keep the oil under pressure."

I took the 306 s16 in to a fast fit type place
Mechanic... ive done your exhaust for you but ive noticed that the rear shocks are leaking oil, they need changing as the car is dangerous.
Me... they are filled with gas.
Mechanic... oh

There's oil in there too ;)

"
Yes and no. A popular misconception is that a gas shock works on gas where as an oil (normal) shock works on oil. All conventional automotive shocks work by forcing oil through a programmed set of holes, however a gas shock will use compressed gas to keep the oil under pressure."
Dear phil, Thanks for dragging that one back up, If you read through the post pages (post 386) you will see that Ive actually corrected myself on my mistake :eek:
I was wrong sorry.
post_old.gif
22-12-2007, 20:54 #386 s16 vbmenu_register("postmenu_3542624", true);
ClioSport Club Member

Car: RenaultSport clio 182 mk2

Re: Funniest Thing You Have Been Told By A Dealer...
I posted on this a while back about a garage telling me that my gas shocks were leaking oil, I didnt think that gas shocks contained oil, erm well I was wrong aparently they do:eek: :eek: :quiet: .

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio lll Dynamique SX TCE
when i brought my car i got told by the manager that i can have a 3.0 V6 put in instead of the back seats . got to admit it did kinda put ideas into my head lol... am still tempted to go back and ask him to give me more details. and the car is a clio 3 1.2 tce lol

350Z GT
not me personally but a good friend of mine has just bought a Civic Type R and took me out in it.

While we were out he was talking about how he can really feel the turbo kicking in while driving it, obviously informed him it was just Vtec but he dont believe me and insists its actually a turbo... as he was told by the dealer.

350Z GT
yeah i thought it was pretty darn shocking, would name and shame the dealer which told him it but he got it from a dealer on the "mainland" as i live on the IOW so dont know the name of it, he got it about a month and a half ago and since then has been believing its got a turbo - and obviously telling everyone he has a turbocharged car.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Rung up Sutton Park Renault today in Birmingham asking for a price on a 172 cup splitter. First of all they didnt know what one was, then someone bloke in the background shouted you have to buy the whole bumper to get one?!

Needless to say I wont be buying one from them then....

Black Gold Trophy
not me personally but a good friend of mine has just bought a Civic Type R and took me out in it.

While we were out he was talking about how he can really feel the turbo kicking in while driving it, obviously informed him it was just Vtec but he dont believe me and insists its actually a turbo... as he was told by the dealer.

I remember when a mate from school took me out in his fiat punto 1.2 sporting and I told him he had electrical interference on his speakers, (you could hear the whine from the alternator on the tweeters)

He said "nah thats the turbo, the guy who fitted the stereo told me about it, its a minature turbo, thats why its so fast for a 1.2"

I said "Really? I suppose fiat somehow connected the actuator to your head unit so that the turbo only whistles when you turn the head unit on?"

....He just replied with "I dunno" :)

Mini Cooper S sport

I remember when a mate from school took me out in his fiat punto 1.2 sporting and I told him he had electrical interference on his speakers, (you could hear the whine from the alternator on the tweeters)

He said "nah thats the turbo, the guy who fitted the stereo told me about it, its a minature turbo, thats why its so fast for a 1.2"

I said "Really? I suppose fiat somehow connected the actuator to your head unit so that the turbo only whistles when you turn the head unit on?"

I'm sorry, all I read there was 'blah blah blah'...:eek:

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

Flol!

clio dynamique 1.2 16V
My mum recently took her corsa in to have its first service to be told that she needs new discs and that her flux capasator was leaking and needed replacing....fortunatly she phoned me and I promptly told her to tell the man behind the desk to 'Get Fu*@~d' She is in currently in the process of complaining..

Also when I first went to buy a clio I went to Arnold clarke Warrington Renault and ordered a blue 1.5 dci clio billa bong..having paid my deposit and sorted finance i get a phone call:
Dealer: Hi Mr Warburton your Clio has been delivered would you like to come and have a look'

So obviously I was excited and went down to have a look, he throws me a set of keys and says its out side, i go searching and cant find a blue dci clio any where...The salesman stands with his hand on top of a silver heap of junk and says what do you think then...I go what the hell wheres my car?

Dealer : Oh that got sold else where so i decided to order this one for you (thinking he had done me a huge favour)

(Doesnt have air con, doesnt have electric mirrors has minging 3rd party alloys on) etc..Obviously I cancelled all my dealings with them!

clio dynamique 1.2 16V
I work for Bentley in Crewe and went and told some of my mates off the engine line and he was wetting him self laughing

Clio 182
Long time ago when i had my RSi...........
Took it to the dreaded Kwik-Fit for some new tyres, after hmmm about 15 minutes iof watching the fitters trudge around my car this damn meathead came out dragging his knuckles along the floor says "you need disks and pads all round mate"
"really" i reply, however what he didn't know is i popped into the same Kwik fit a week earlier and had them checked, by the (thank god he was honest) head guy on the desk at the time! he said they were good for another 7-8k at least!
I expained this to him and his face! well you can imagine the other customers looked as shocked as i was he was trying to stitch me up.
"Just park it outside mate yeah" i said,with a smug s**t eating grin on my face.
Unbelivable, i mean the cheek of the bloke!
I know they aint a dealer but this thread seemed approriate.

Booked my car in for a service and mot anyway took it in women on desk says "We'll give you a call when it's ready."
Get a call "Your car's been serviced but theres a problem with the mot" anyway I go down there
Serviceman "Cars been serviced everything's done, oh we had to change your numberplate light as it was out but one problem the front passenger wheels buckled we have one in stock for £150 plus vat (i think they said)"
Me "Oh ok well if it's not major i'll leave it, anyway what's the problem with the mot"
Service bloke " Oh we can't mot it because the sticker from the doors missing"
Me "What sticker?"
Service bloke "Oh it's got the vin number on"
Me "Well couldn't you have checked the other vin numbers pressed into the car or the one on the dash"
Service bloke "Na it might be nicked"
At this point the bloke was getting on my tits so
Me "Oh whatever i'll just pay and get it mot'd somewhere else"
Service bloke "good luck then"

Anyway go down to my local garage to get the mot done and to my amazement the mot bloke goes "your numberplate lights out" c**t's had charged me for it then hadn't fitted it oh and funnily enough there was nothing wrong with the wheel either.
When they phoned me up to ask if I was interested in buying a new car from them, oh how i laughed

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i brought my cooper s from a evans halshaw about a year ago... went back a few months later with my mate who was after a cooper s works so walked in and the salesman recognised me..

got chatting about the works and my mates asked the dealer what the difference was.. dealer gives him a blank look and says umm...theres some badges and different wheels..

i had to explain the difference :rolleyes:

Long time ago when i had my RSi...........
Took it to the dreaded Kwik-Fit for some new tyres, after hmmm about 15 minutes iof watching the fitters trudge around my car this damn meathead came out dragging his knuckles along the floor says "you need disks and pads all round mate"
"really" i reply, however what he didn't know is i popped into the same Kwik fit a week earlier and had them checked, by the (thank god he was honest) head guy on the desk at the time! he said they were good for another 7-8k at least!
I expained this to him and his face! well you can imagine the other customers looked as shocked as i was he was trying to stitch me up.
"Just park it outside mate yeah" i said,with a smug s**t eating grin on my face.
Unbelivable, i mean the cheek of the bloke!
I know they aint a dealer but this thread seemed approriate.
Sounds very typical of sh*t fit to me that. I hate them :mad:

Honda Integra Type R
My Friend has just informed me, him and his girlfriend went to look at a rusty orange 182. But had been sold 2 days after the dealer got it.

Anyway as he got speaking to the salesman he explained they would really like a 182 liquid yellow, The Salesman looked at my m8 as if he had just shot his gran, and told him 182's never came in liquid yellow or any yellow for that matter.

Ford Fiesta
My Friend has just informed me, him and his girlfriend went to look at a rusty orange 182. But had been sold 2 days after the dealer got it.

Anyway as he got speaking to the salesman he explained they would really like a 182 liquid yellow, The Salesman looked at my m8 as if he had just shot his gran, and told him 182's never came in liquid yellow or any yellow for that matter.

name and shame the dealer please

Honda Integra Type R

name and shame the dealer please

Mackie Motors of Brechin in Scotland haha Foools

One tried telling me that the RS grille was 85 quid, I just laughed and said 'no it's not mate' and he went 'I'll just go and see if it's been reduced... hang on' and came back. Low and behold, 'reduced' to £48!

Skoda Octavia VRs
My Local Dealership told me on 2x separate occasions "No, it couldn't possibly have been us who damaged your Vehicle"...

Turns out it was though, and they didn't even have the Plums to tell me they had done it, had to find out myself when I was having a nose around the Car in the daylight the next day!.

I really don't know if it is just Renault who are cursed with terrible Dealers / Dealer Horror Stories, but the experiences I have had would put me off buying another one that's for sure!...

E30 318iS x2
Stealer: "No we know nothing about a spoiler for a Clio??????"

2 weeks later....

Me: "Is my spoiler here yet?"

Stealer: "Oh is that for the ripcurl?"

Me: "Yes"

Stealer: "Oh its been here a week and a half" :mad:

Me: "Why didn't you contact me?!?!?!"

Stealer: "We didn't have your details."

HELLO I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM YOU 3 WEEKS AGO!

Fact is they knew it was for my ripcurl without me mentioning it and it was the only one there fuckin tools.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
On the 'are all dealers this bad' - My local Renault dealer has been really good, especially since I got the R27, informing me of things that they could do under warranty that I wouldn't have noticed etc.

But for the bad ones, it's not just Renault either, one of my mates has had some crackin ones from Vauxhall - including when he wanted his cambelt doing and one dealer (well, the phone monkey - we reckon the mechanics would have over-ruled him though heh...) actually refused to change the tensioners etc - said they would just change the belt, as that's what it needed for the first cambelt change (that's not true...) and as such there was no cambelt kit (so what happens on the 2nd change where you said they were to be changed then...?). Thankfully another, closer dealer quoted £202 all in, using the cambelt kit heh - they laughed when they were told what the other dealer said :)

Unfortunatly they did scuff his bumper on the lower side edge on the lift - but he called them up having noticed a few days later, and they didn't argue it. As soon as they saw it they owned up, said they hadn't noticed it done at the time (...how?) but they could see where it had happened - we got the impression it wasn't the first time.

Incidently, the other garage that wouldn't do the full job - that's the garage his dad always uses, and he usually uses, and recently their cars have both come back with extra small sratches. Like just shallow, and a couple of inches long, nothing they'd admit to, but enough to be annoying.

Dan

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Great thread.. been reading it since 8.30am lol

ahh 3 hours 30 minutes down..... lunchtime FTW !!!

I had an interesting experience when I bought by 172. I needed to part exchange my 51 plate mini cooper as the cost of replacing the gearbox, clutch and steering rack was sky high, so took it in to part exchange.

Me: Hiya, i see you have a 172 for sale?
Dealer: Ooh, I don't know about that, I think we sold that the other week.
Me: it's right in front of you.
D: Oh sorry was thinking about another one.
M: Well I need to part exchange my car, so I would need to be given a price for it?
D: What have you got?
M: Mini Cooper
D: I'll give you 5 grand.
M: You haven't seen it?!

After negotiating a price I take the clio for a test drive:
D: *looking through manual and receipts* You do realise this car has a powerflow exhaust, spent a lot of money on it.
M: No it doesn't.
D: Look heres the receipt
M: *stops the car on the side of the road* Come and have a look. It's a standard exhaust.
D: It must be a hidden powerflow or something.

That day was full of disaster, but I'm very pleased I bought it.

172 FF
Not really that funny, but more of an annoyance.

I goto the parts dept & ask for something, they ask for my registration number. I tell them it isn't on their system (I know this as they ask me everytime I go). There was a typo mix up at DVLA when it was registered.
The guy says we have a new system now, just give me your reg number.
I tell him the number & he goes off into the back, then comes back & says it's not on the system. :p

They then take my VIN & still end up giving me a part that doesn't fit my car. :/

E87 118d M Sport
:lolup: I have been reading this thread all morning. pure comedy! im so glad im buying off here and not from a stealer!
i have a few funny stories;

went to get a quote from vauxhall for my cambelt change (just to be curios).

ME - Hi, id like a price of a cambelt change on a 51 plate corsa c, 1.4 sri.
HIM - o a very nice little car, but they have a chain and therefore never need changing. thatl save you a couple of hundred quid.
ME - No, i know that they changed them that year to have a chain, but mine definitely has the belt
HIM - We've got one out the back being done right now and they definitely have a chain.
ME - I have already had a quote from another garage to do it, and I know there is a belt, so can i have the price of the change please.
HIM - shall we go out and see the vehicle (i love their 3rd person references to cars lol) and i'll show you where the chain is.
ME - yes that would be great thanks,
(i open the car and pop the bonnet and start to open it)
HIM - its right......o it has a belt
ME - o right :rolleyes: , so how much do you reakon it'l cost to change that then???

then they wanted 350 quid. went to the garage 200 yards down the road and they quoted 190 with vauxhall parts, that they get from the vauxhall parts centre. (can you guess where i went)

The other one is a VERY lnog story involving my misses buying a new corsa from vauxhall (the same one i had the above issue with).

to cut a long story short, she bought a new car, drove it for 4 days (did 67 miles in it) then a stragne noise came from the engine after it was turned off.
she phoned up and explained the problem and they said o dear. make sure you dont drive the car as it is an engine problem and could cause huge problems to the car. (at this point she looked GUTTED to be fair - which i think all of us would be) so i had a chat to the bloke on the phone and he said ........wait for it......

if you could drop the car off today we'll take a look at it and assess if it needs replacing. :eek:

so i kept my mouth shut :quiet: , we dropped it off and they phoned and said that the car needed a new engine as it has been destroyed. you should of not driven it when you heard the noise.
i said you told me to drive it down, and youd take a look, i cant help it if it is broken.
they basically said theyd put a new engine in and i said i dont think so.
ill have a new car please.

12 weeks later a new car arrives with a £600 black glass roof/sunroof as compensation.

the VERY funy thing is that at the time my misses bought a new corsa, her mum did too. when my misses's went wrong they assured us that her mums car wouldnt go wrong (even tho they are EXACTLY the same car just a different colour) so i said how can you be so sure. surely the engines were made at the same time as they are the same and the cars were ordered at the same time and you obviously make the engines in batches. they said that wasnt the case.

guess what happened a couple of weeks ago.......her mums car's engine started making the same noise.....

lets just say that im on first name terms with the regional sales manager for vauxhall!

Clio 197
A number of years ago, the Service Manager at one of the Ford dealerships tried to exlain to me why the speakers kept blowing in my Puma (I think I paid something like £500 for a full amp/speaker upgrade) was becuase I was playing the wrong type of music and it was too Basey for the speakers.

Oh.....and I also took it back for a fix on the rear parcel shelf as it kept popping out, Fords official fix was to wrap electrical tape around the little pins to hold it in.....this was a 2 week old car.

Went in to Renault today to see how much a new set of front brake pads would cost. He put them on the desk, and goes £50... Really I said? I can get good brake pads for £30. To that he snatched them off the counter, said "off you go then..." (very rudely) and then walked off. I might have bought them if he was polite too... The very funny thing is that we were going to buy a Fiat 500 from the same dealership (it's one of those multi- make type dealers). Now we're not... So, they just lost the sale of a £10k car. Good work... Goooooooooood Work. Whilst waiting for me in the car park, my mrs saw one of their mechanics ragging a 182 around, blatently a customers car as it had plastic seat covers on. The thought of ever going back there fills me with dread, we're gonna find somewhere else to get that 500 from.... ;)

lol i use to work in a renault dealership untill made redundo a few month ago(was a RTE), and alot of the parts ppl we had were pretty thick tbh!

but on the subject of the 182 and mechanic, i own a 182 and always had the plastic seat covers in mine(free lol) and often ragged mine about so could easy look like a customers! pretty much all of the techs had works seat covers in just because they was free!

as for receptionists, 99% of them had no technical knowledge so was always quite amusing/shocking listening to some of the shite they come out with, also the odd tech would play games and put things like the flux capaciter as already said on a parts sell up sheet! i know it shouldnt happen but depended if they liked the receptionist! lol

Clio Cup 172, Mk2 Escort
this thread is brillian and im a dealer lol, luckily the 3 of us who run the dealers are ex mechanics and all still active in rallying which our service department keep forgetting when they try to bullsh*t us, they same as most garages it just a job to them and got no interests in cars etc. But on a positive note Lookers Renault in Chester has an excellent parts man who you tell him what you want or try describing the part and where it is and he knows what you are talking about and doesnt need to know the reg or vin, wish there was more people like him about as buying parts wouldnt be a hassle.

Went in to Renault today to see how much a new set of front brake pads would cost. He put them on the desk, and goes £50... Really I said? I can get good brake pads for £30. To that he snatched them off the counter, said "off you go then..." (very rudely) and then walked off. I might have bought them if he was polite too... The very funny thing is that we were going to buy a Fiat 500 from the same dealership (it's one of those multi- make type dealers). Now we're not... So, they just lost the sale of a £10k car. Good work... Goooooooooood Work. Whilst waiting for me in the car park, my mrs saw one of their mechanics ragging a 182 around, blatently a customers car as it had plastic seat covers on. The thought of ever going back there fills me with dread, we're gonna find somewhere else to get that 500 from.... ;)

The 182 with the seat covers is Gareth's he's on the RenaultSport forum, he works there in parts.

182 Cup
Anyone else have a laugh at this, but also feel some rage? These are the monkeys we are supposed to trust our cars with, the cars we work to bloody pay for and yet they haven't a notion.

My 182 was advertised for sale as a 172 ffs!