ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gaining car value with mods?

1.2 16v
i am wondering if this is atall possible and anyone has ever achieved it. I have a 1.2 16v dynamique 51 plate in silver, 36k, nice car and i picked her up last year for £3495 from a dealer with warranty so a good deal i feel. I have since got 172 turinis and a 172 grille and 172 replica side skirts, colour coded my bumpers and got a 172 rear bumper and a custum exhaust. it looks really nice, very clean inside and out, i have filled in and mended a few stone chips and it is highly waxed and polished, it has now done 45k and i am going travelling and need to sell it, i am wandering what sort of price i should ask for seen as it in better interior/exterior condition with 2 owners from new and full service history, any ideas please!!!!!!!! thanks.

RenaultSport 197
They are still 'mods' no matter what anybody calls them.. The car is now non-standard, so it looses value, Sorry. And Sat Nav isn't a mod, it's a car accessory.

depends though, to Joe public it's value is less, to someone on here it's potentially more. Depends on the mods really I guess, as I think a turbo'd or ITB'd Clio would easily fetch more than a stock Clio, just you have less people to sell it to

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As usual, mods lower car value, people won't buy modded cars, me being one of them.

RenaultSport 197
If you are advertising your car then this is the wrong section anyway, pay £5 and you will have the privilage of being able to sell your car here. Also 3k isn't my estimate, it's just a guess - I don't know spot on exactly what it's worth, and yea you could of spend a fortune on it modding wise, but I can almost gaurentee It wont bump up your price unless somebody is looking for that kind of car.

i would call them upgrades myself!, it has sat nav aswell...

In your eyes maybe...

Is it lowered? Pics up too.
To be honest the myth is modifications devalue a car and to some extent this is true as mods narrow down the market for that car. For example if your car was standard it may attract young families after a run around, or old people looking for a small car to get down the shops. They are not going to be interested in it if it has a boomy exhaust, silly wheels that make the steering heavier and increase the cost of tyres.....
But to a young lad such as you or me it increases the attractiveness of the car, the money you have spent on mods you will never get back. However, a young lad may look at it and say I was going to stick some turinis on it anyway and some sideskirts so im quite prepared to pay a little more for it as its going to save me money in the long run.

If it was me however I would stick it back to standard, sell the parts on here -they will go very quickly and you will still be able to charge the same for it standard as you would modified. By selling the bits on you will get more for it and go someway to getting the money back you have spent on it. Sorry for the essay.

EDIT: theJesus has said what I have said in a simple and concise sentence, b****cks.

1.2 16v
you havent got half of those mods atall rod!

And i thought you said it had a very dodgy service history

right, ahahaahha busted, thiese are my plans and i just want to ghet an estimated value when i do come to sell it in 6moneths, i have turinis, grill and side skirts and pael filter atm. i have however found the coments useful in terms of selling the parts nd putting it back to standard, cheers!:)

visualize whirled pe
You will find no shortage of people who will want the 'mods' you've bought when you are done with them so flogging them off and returning your car to standard before selling it is the best policy for getting most of your money back. (for example I'd like your turini's ;) )

Clio 172 mk2
depends though, to Joe public it's value is less, to someone on here it's potentially more. Depends on the mods really I guess, as I think a turbo'd or ITB'd Clio would easily fetch more than a stock Clio, just you have less people to sell it to

Very true...modifying a car to your specifications does tend to narrow the market you can sell to.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i think its cuz modifying a car is such a personal thing, uve got to be careful about how you do it so as not to narrow ur selling market.

I brought my old mk2 ph1 1.4S for £2750 standard.

i put 16" ph2 172 alloys on it, and ph2 rear clusters and left it there.

the carcovered 20,000 miles and had a front end shunt in the year i had it.

i sold it for £2600 to older chap looking to buy a car for his daughter.

£150 loss? not bad id say!

my point is, theres an art to it :)

Audi TT 225
I see car ad's all the time where the owner has litterally spent thousands and they end up selling for next to nothing. I saw an Evo 4 for 5k and it had 15k worth of receipts with it... You will NEVER get your money back from modifying a car unless your very lucky.

MKIII 138
mods class as restoration or projects ? classic cars restored get more.

thing with mods is you dont buy them to sell the car, you should buy them to make up for the areas your car lacks or areas you would like to personalise.

if you have a car with full leather + climate for exampleits got more chance of selling than one with cloth seats and aircon but then again its not worth more it will just sell easier in a flooded marker

Shed.
mods class as restoration or projects ? classic cars restored get more.

thing with mods is you dont buy them to sell the car, you should buy them to make up for the areas your car lacks or areas you would like to personalise.

if you have a car with full leather + climate for exampleits got more chance of selling than one with cloth seats and aircon but then again its not worth more it will just sell easier in a flooded marker

yeah. People want standard cars usually, and then they can mod it themselvs. Also, classics restored get paid for because they are clasics and car enthusiasts would pay for that kinda fo s**t, hell you could go out and buy a new clio tomorrow, but not a classic....

RenaultSport 197
FFR_bluecobra.jpg

= £££££

pla_clio-2.jpg

= ££££ or £0 if you hate modded cars like this :D

sw-clio182cup.jpg

= + ££££ :D

Last edited:
  Turbos.
I guess it depends what you class as a success really.

If you spent £5k on throttle bodies and what not, you could sell it more than the value of a stock car, but certainly not for £5k more, perhaps not even for half that.

I would also modify my car with items that are reversible. With my first Clio, i sold everything bar the Turinis which helped to sell the car very quickly at least. I even had a girl cry down the phone when i said it was sold!

1.2 16v
true, mods must be done in the right way, i am mainly encoperating some 172 exteriors, ie side skirts bumper and weels and then a custom exhaust