ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garage have cable tied the brake load sensing valve on my cup

I'm glad to hear you got the car fixed and it all resolved in the end.

No suprise it was Halfords that f**ked up.

Its beyond me why there are so many Halfrauds up and down the Uk that have totally clueless staff that are out to rip of the public.

Rentech from now on is it ?

Wow there's a whole load of crap in this thread

The arm still affects the braking effort
On non-cups the arm is linked to beam so that as you put weight in the back of the car and lower it - it decreases the braking force at the rear
This isn't connected on the Cup so the arm should just sit at it's maximum setting - which is set by renault to be virtually nothing (with the car jacked up and foot brake on you can still turn the rear wheels)

There's nothing really wrong with cable tieing the arm UP to the chassis - as that just holds the arm where it's supposed to be anyway with the force of the spring - exactly as renault set it up

Problem is the spring gets rusty and the arm gets rusty and the arm droops down a bit which loses braking force and fails the MOT

Yes they should have read the VOSA announcement - but it would still have failed with that level of inbalance. My arm is cable tied up to the chassis and passed the MOT fine. It doesn't lock the rear up under hard braking or anything daft like that

In my opinion they did the right thing!!

172DD Cup
omg your post contains more crap than the whole thread! in a polite way of course :cool:

if you put more weight in the back of the clio the braking force will increase, not the other way. think about which way the valve, arm and beam move as you add more weight in the back.

there's plenty wrong with cable tieing the arm to the chassis. otherwise why would renault remove the link? evidence of people locking their rear brakes with the arm at maximum effort is enough proof for this.

i'm sure i've misunderstood here, but you said the arm is supposed to be up in the maximum position? really?

NO it would not fail with that level of imbalance. the rear brake balance is not part of the MOT!

NO they did not do the right thing! you think charging me £294 to replace the caliper and then using cable ties to hide the fact they got it wrong was the right thing?

sorry to sound harsh, but you opened yourself up for it when you said the thread was full of crap then proceeded to add to it! :clown:

peace :cool:

Brake imbalance IS part of the MOT - otherwise you could pass with a siezed caliper

The brake bias arm is meant to be fully UP - that's what the spring does. Cable tieing it UP to the chassis just holds it in the place it's supposed to be

I think replacing the caliper was wrong - cable tieing the arm up was right

Sorry I did get decrease/increase the wrong way round

I moved the arm down about 2mm on my cup and it applied no braking force at all at the rear
Cable tied it up and went and got it tested on the rollers and it had factory braking force equal on both sides
It's been like that for 18 months now and has been HAMMERED on the 'Ring, Mallory, Rockingham and Brands Hatch
No back end locking up, no back end overtaking me - perfect braking

My car is also completely stripped - so if anything needs less braking force at the rear than standard cars - it's still fine

Cable tie is staying on mine ;)

Threatening to call the police for letting your car out non-roadworthy is mad when what they did produced the exact braking force you should have lol

172DD Cup
you can't fail an mot on rear brake balance, the fronts yes but not the rears. my mot tester probably angled my failure more towards low efforts than imbalance.

the arm isn't supposed to be fully up. if it was, what purpose would the spring and valve serve?

The spring pulls the arm up

The connector rod that goes down to the beam pulls the arm down when the car gets higher

They disconnect the connector rod which then means the arm is pulled to the top with the spring....

It's not pre-set to some weird mid point by renault lol - it actually bloody moves up and down when you go over bumps. Hence why mines cable tied up ;)

172DD Cup
ok you win that one. having only ever seen a mark 1 valve i misunderstood how that part of it works.
i never did replace my load sensing valve. even though it reads efficiency 150 on the left and 50 on the right, i don't notice anything untoward when braking on the road.