ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gearbox oil change help, how are you supposed to get it in

J

jakm15

ive decided on changing the gearbox oil as there is a good chance it has never been changed since the day the car left the factory 10 years ago. i poped down to halfords earlier and picked some 15w40 up for the engine. i was looking for some gearbox oil and the book for all the oils said use 75W80 and it uses 3.7 liters but they only sell it in 1L tubs at a tenner each. where is the best place to buy from and is this the correct oil.

finally whats the easiest way to get the oil in it looks a real pain to get to?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Did this just the other week mate after popping a drive shaft by accident.

Yes it needs that much, a local motor factors should be cheaper, to fill it up I'd advise using a piece of hose or tube, but sometimes the bottle has a little hose thing on it, To get to the filler cap it was a bit of a b**ch, and to get the bottle down there I just took the fan off the rad.

The filler is located on the front of the gearbox, just open the bonnet and look straight down at the front. Its a black wingnut, could be white i suppose.

J

jakm15

i think ill cut some hosepipe down and run it up to where i can pour it in easily, is the drain plug a wing nut on the bottom? did you notice any difference after the change? also is the oil i said correct? thanks.