ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox rebuild/upgrade advice

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi, I'm wanting to rebuild my gearbox in a couple of months, but as my car is going to be used predominantly on rallies I want to upgrade from the current box to something better.
Ideally I would go sequential, but I don't think I can afford it (not found someone selling one yet) so I am thinking it would be good to go for a dog box instead. Does anywhere sell this sort of kit, and how much should I be looking to pay? I am confident that I can build the box myself.
Thanks for the advice.

dan's cast offs.
dog box will cost you around £5k and whatever you do stay well clear of the gripper dog kit, it's terrible to say the least. made of chocolate, only comes with half what you need and will waste two weeks of your life trying to get it together...trust me!!

for a dog kit i'd go with vag box instead and use that as the jc5 casing is weak to begin with, you wouldn't believe how thin it is in some places.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Awesome, thanks for the advice, which vag box is it? And how much work is involved with driveshafts and bell housings, ie are parts off the shelf or custom made jobs? Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
dog box will cost you around £5k and whatever you do stay well clear of the gripper dog kit, it's terrible to say the least. made of chocolate, only comes with half what you need and will waste two weeks of your life trying to get it together...trust me!!

for a dog kit i'd go with vag box instead and use that as the jc5 casing is weak to begin with, you wouldn't believe how thin it is in some places.
Did you tell gripper about the issues you had with their dog kit?

dan's cast offs.
Did you tell gripper about the issues you had with their dog kit?

oh yeah!! had numerous conversations with tom, the kit got sent back in the end. so so many issues with it was unbelievable!!
quality of material used, bits not fitting together and so many bits that should of been included in the 'kit' that i was told we'd have to make ourselves.

think it was sold way before it was ready, i understand that some things you have to do a bit of work with to fit them but this was left to us to pretty much work out how to build the bloody thing up. when you compare what comes in the gripper kit to others you'd laugh at it.

shame as i like the diff's themselves but this was farcical and has really put me off them.