ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GiraffeSport 172 Monaco

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yup, I'm back in an RS. It's not a Ph1 and it's not black, so previous offers of shooting me are not valid.

:boring:

Anyway, after the Ph1 went...

5172578174_6b3116bbd8_z.jpg

.. I bought the Impreza Wagon which has cost me more to run in 9 months than a weekend in Vegas with a crack team of hookers. Bloody good fun though ! :eek:

5277027792_87040a2e63_z.jpg

As much as I love it, it's got to go. It stopped running again a few weeks ago, and being without a car AGAIN, I went and bought a totally standard Ph2 172.

53k, FSH, totally standard. Fresh MOT and service, recent cambelt, 9 months tax. Got it home and here she is:

5401385426_6c95b00dd4_z.jpg

Clean Monaco by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Gave it a quick clean and all looked good ! Few scratches but nothing majorly serious, and some good evidence of protection on the paint too !!

With the first week out of the way, it appears the exhaust is blowing slightly (brand new backbox done for MOT but blowing elsewhere), and the top mounts might be on their way out too. Cheap fix (hopefully) when they become too much for me. I've also discovered there are uprated speakers all round too ! Thought it sounded too good to be standard, running the standard HU.

So this week, with the intention of keeping it all standard, I've bought so far the following:

5419385224_e6cc61440a_z.png

RS Tuner by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

5419385752_9a8f4272ef_z.png

Samco by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

5419386122_3908bf1819_z.png

V6 Airbox by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

5419386480_207054b10c_z.png

Gaskets for inlets by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

I was going to keep it all standard for the rolling road day coming up, but I got bored and after trying my new PW + snowfoam on the woman's filthy bus this morning, I fitted the following today...

A large gap:

5419387062_6989fe1f54_z.png

No box by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Bye bye bits (I left the engine cover off as it was broken in 2 places):

5418783867_6ae30de844_z.png

Weight saving by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

..aaaand ta-daaa:

5418784349_eef17ac367_z.png

V6 + Samco fitted by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

I also fitted my trusty old friend into the dash, soon to be followed by my Fli 12" box:

5418784795_8ca3e31e5a_z.png

Alpine fitted by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Sound quality has gone up to almost acceptable levels again...!

:approve:

So, I went for a little test run to see how much noise the box makes (*insert childish giggles here*) and the first strike of the white flag came .. :dapprove:

5419388862_25de64d50d_z.png

First surrender ! by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

.. strange I thought, and as the doors autolocked, they went away. Got home a few minutes later, induction noise much better :D Ignition off, and on again and up the white flag popped. ABS lights back on again now, so went back out to see if they went away with locked door as before but no such luck :(

A wiggle of the sensors, and a test drive connected to a Snap-On OBD machine later and the fault was found, reset and cleared. Hopefully staying away this time...

So, plans for the future....:

To be done:
  • Matched inlets
  • Yozza
  • RS Tuner'd
  • Private plate (already know what I want !)
  • Sub + possibly amp'd components

On the maybe pile:
  • New wheels
  • Coilovers
  • Uprated brakes
  • Cup spoiler
  • Smaller aerial
  • New front seats.. Recaros, or Impreza fronts.

Think thats about it for now. Not sure if this is going to be a quick fling or a long term thing, but I guess only time and my boredom threshold will tell !

The:evil:Giraffe

Maybe a 172 Cup..
STD...........for a week!!! Quality.
Would go for everything on the TBD list other than sub.
Would go for eveything on MP other than wheels. Keep it standard and subtle cosmetically, with a suprise kick from the engine bay. That is what a real :evil:Giraffe would do!!!

Which impreza seats you thinking mate??

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
* I forgot I changed the (seriously crap) wipers for some flat bladed ones, and moved the tax disc holder from the middle of the screen to the bottom corner !

~~~~~~~~~~

Sub needs in. Cut the low freqs to the components and the sound quality is just so far improved !! It's not there to rattle windows in the next town. ;)

Any Impreza ones TBH. Seen some near me for £80 which I think is a bit of a bargain. Will need custom framework done but that's in hand too (thanks Rob).

Wheels are just on the mebby pile for now.. I have half an eye on some 2118s on a ph1 up the road.... 2 sets of wheels are seriously useful for so many reasons !

The Yozza I'm awaiting pics of, is a visible system :( would prefer stealth, BUT Haywood and Scott are just round the corner. Half tempted to just go to them to get exactly what I want :approve:

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Haywood and Scott FTW. If I ever own an Impreza that's what will be on her!! Wouldn't the blue Evo seats look a treat in Monaco??

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Wanna buy an Impreza ?? H&S already fitted. Sounds AWEEESOME.

Yeah, blue Evo Recaros will be the Recaro of choice :approve:

No thanks mate. Either a cammed' PHS1 or 172 Cup for me..Couldn't justify/afford running costs of a modified Scooby..;)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I see this everyday, and walked past it today. I really should pop in and have a look Rob :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Had that on the last one... too noisy dude. Also FAR more than I'm going to pay for 2nd hand Yoz.

But knowing me, I'll end up with a H&S system made of unobtanium.

Megane 225 F1
Really? Mine's not to bad unless you boot it and no drone on the motorway. Although I have centre section.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice little write up man, got to be said, I frikken love the Ph1, but the ph2 does look nice.

Once you've lowered it at least a bit and changed the wheels, I'll be a big fan.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I like the 16s TBH. Pretty sure they're one of the reasons that it's so damn slow. They must weigh more than the moon ! They will be the winter wheels.

It's not going to be more than 20mm lower either... you've seen my lane, right ? Also need to combat speedbumps in the morning and it just about copes as it is

:dapprove:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm not talking low, I'm talking sportlines low.

Just to give it a bit more stance, the wheels, ironically, I think lot better on a non sport than the do on a sport. They just look so much more "sporty" with something better in the arches.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I like the 16s TBH. Pretty sure they're one of the reasons that it's so damn slow. They must weigh more than the moon ! They will be the winter wheels.

It's not going to be more than 20mm lower either... you've seen my lane, right ? Also need to combat speedbumps in the morning and it just about copes as it is

I lowered my monaco 40mm the other day on standard rims, and now the wheels look lost. I dont like it, so thinking of going back to standard.

That reg plate rings a bell. Did you buy it off here?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah it came from a member on here :approve:

Suspension is way down the list of things to do.... more than happy with the way it handles for now, though I think the offside top mount is close to being shuggered.

Yozza is in the boot to be fitted probably after the RR day !

:cool:

Megane 225 F1

I went down it on sportlines AND 15's. Rob's is lower and Dans....I don't know. You're just making excuses ;)

SG9 Forester STi
Lol - standard didn't last too long then!

Just can't bare the thought of 160's on the rollers? ;)

Very nice Rob, awesome choice :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi Spongecake. The scoob is ALIIIIVE....!! VERRRRRY tempted to get that on the rollers and show you all up in your girly French hatchbacks !

Scone .. I'll give you a facelift.... back in your box. There's a good boy.

Evo 5 RS
rofl

If it's alive don't break it again for god sake. Choc piston juice all over some poor sods rollers

I love monacos really x