ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got caster yo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not sure tbh mate. As although they would move the wheel out it would mean when you steer inwards it would move even further forwards toward the inner arch.
I think I only need to move it back about 1cm to have enough clearance.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Spacers would make it worse, different offset wheels could cure it though..

Different offset wheels would be mechanically identical to spacers if you mean different offset to widen the track.
and if you mean to narrow the track that would be massively counter-productive.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
how does it improve straight line stability? as i've read multiple threads on mid-engined hatches and they all seem to have increased the caster.
is it because steering is going to lift the car more so it'll want to stay straight stronger?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
how does it improve straight line stability? as i've read multiple threads on mid-engined hatches and they all seem to have increased the caster.
is it because steering is going to lift the car more so it'll want to stay straight stronger?

Yes exactly that mate, gravity stabilises it.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Poxy iPhone!

Having done 2 trackdays this weekend, I can safely say, anyone with a Ph1 172 needs to find some cup wishbones. The difference is totally incredible!!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I assume you were there today Tony ?

Are you just on the cup arms Michael or moddified like Chips?

Cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I assume you were there today Tony ?

Are you just on the cup arms Michael or moddified like Chips?

Cheers

Mike's on Cup wishbones which on his phase 1 gave a total caster of 4.8 degrees IIRC.

Drives fantastically, like Tony says the turn in on mikes car is very impressive in particular, but stability overall is just really good, its a very predictable setup, perfect really for a road car thats on track occasionally.

172 Ph1
Do you have any pics of side wheel view, would like to see how far forward the wheel goes. I take it Mike has no rubbing issues Chip ?

172 Ph1
So if I was to put the Cup wishbones on my Ph1*2 roughly by how much wider track do they produce as I'm running spacers and I would want to reduce as I don't want it sticking out to wide

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
gemagyhu.jpg

So what were the differences in caster between the standard wishbone, the Cup one and your modifed one Mike/Chip please?

Got two sets of cup wishbones and looking to get quite a bit of caster for the racecar we're building, looking to incorportate some AST topmounts also for added caster.

Nick

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Roughly speaking its about 2 degrees extra for the cup wishbones and another 2 degrees for the way that I did it.

We havent had them both on the same car though and obviously things like front versus rear ride height etc effects the figures.

The problem with the ones I did is a lack of clearance, but if you are cutting out the excess weight on a racer, you'll no doubt not mind that, so I would go with doing it that way.
you would be better off starting with normal wishbones than cup ones, so that you dont end up joining the two holes together.

You have to cut down an allen key to get onto the cap head bolt is the one other pain with doing it my way.

Roughly speaking its about 2 degrees extra for the cup wishbones and another 2 degrees for the way that I did it.

We havent had them both on the same car though and obviously things like front versus rear ride height etc effects the figures.

The problem with the ones I did is a lack of clearance, but if you are cutting out the excess weight on a racer, you'll no doubt not mind that, so I would go with doing it that way.
you would be better off starting with normal wishbones than cup ones, so that you dont end up joining the two holes together.

You have to cut down an allen key to get onto the cap head bolt is the one other pain with doing it my way.

Okay thats cool, cheers Chip. We're not doing anything too mad with our build but adding a bit of caster will help and like you said we'll be happy to cut the bumper tabs away, even part of the front bumper to allow for wheel clearance.

I cant remember how much the AST topmounts add casterwise, will have to find out. Hopefully if we were to do the wishbones your way, plus add the topmounts that should be ample caster!

Havent you got a 182 nick?

Broken that 182 for spares Mike, now got a caged better spec 172 Cup to improve on.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
As chip said, for a 172 cup, you'd be better off buying so non cup wishbones as the front hole is closer to the back of the wishbone, and drilling them forward.

As the cup wishbone already has the hole nearer the front the new hole you drill will become overlapped with the old. Not that I think this would be a problem, but to step on the side of caution, it's best to have some meat Inbetween.

I think chip has a spare set of non cup wishbones as he's just fitted cup wishbones to his mrs, non cup car.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I cant remember how much the AST topmounts add casterwise, will have to find out. Hopefully if we were to do the wishbones your way, plus add the topmounts that should be ample caster!

I are confused. Can you offer a factual explanation as to why your current level of caster is insufficient Nick? :)

As chip said, for a 172 cup, you'd be better off buying so non cup wishbones as the front hole is closer to the back of the wishbone, and drilling them forward.

As the cup wishbone already has the hole nearer the front the new hole you drill will become overlapped with the old. Not that I think this would be a problem, but to step on the side of caution, it's best to have some meat Inbetween.

I think chip has a spare set of non cup wishbones as he's just fitted cup wishbones to his mrs, non cup car.

Yeah okay i'll look into getting a non cup wishbones, polybushing them and adding the caster that way. Indeed reliability is the key in out race build. Will speak to Chip tonight at the Shires meet, you coming also?

I are confused. Can you offer a factual explanation as to why your current level of caster is insufficient Nick? :)

I cant give you a factual explanation tbh but given that Mike and Chip have added caster to their cars and have seen improvements in the way the car handles.

The only thing I do see as a benefit to adding more caster is better traction all round, corners more so. If we can get both wheels having a larger contact patch through a corner, coupled with a differential should see quick corners speeds = quicker lap times.

By all means school me if you so wish if i'm incorrect.

Nick

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Biggest advantage of more caster is that it allows you to run less static camber, although it is also very good for braking stability as well.

Im pretty sure I binned the old standard ones off my Mrs car sadly mate, but im sure you can find some mega cheap anyway as they arent exactly a rare or expensive item.

In fact if you put up a thread offering to swap standard for cup ones, I should think someone will rip your arm off for them.

Biggest advantage of more caster is that it allows you to run less static camber, although it is also very good for braking stability as well.

Im pretty sure I binned the old standard ones off my Mrs car sadly mate, but im sure you can find some mega cheap anyway as they arent exactly a rare or expensive item.

In fact if you put up a thread offering to swap standard for cup ones, I should think someone will rip your arm off for them.

Lol, i'll wont be swapping these arms with anyone Chip, i'll be selling them I think seeing as its highly likely that Renault arent making them anymore! ;)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Nice idea, not sure how much caster I'll be able to get with my strut towers but if I need/want more something along the lines of what you've done is defo the way to go.

Where exactly was it catching? bracket at the edge of the wing/bumper or just rubbing on the inner wheel arch in general?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol, i'll wont be swapping these arms with anyone Chip, i'll be selling them I think seeing as its highly likely that Renault arent making them anymore! ;)

I bought brand new cup arms last week, so they are still available currently, but dont know if thats just from existing stock till its run out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice idea, not sure how much caster I'll be able to get with my strut towers but if I need/want more something along the lines of what you've done is defo the way to go.

Where exactly was it catching? bracket at the edge of the wing/bumper or just rubbing on the inner wheel arch in general?

Rubbing on the inner wheel arch in general at the front (liner is already removed, I mean on the metal work)
You can hammer back a few of the bits it catches on, but ultimately the whole lot would need cutting out if you want lots of caster and to run very low.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
The only thing I do see as a benefit to adding more caster is better traction all round, corners more so. If we can get both wheels having a larger contact patch through a corner, coupled with a differential should see quick corners speeds = quicker lap times.

By all means school me if you so wish if i'm incorrect.

Nick

School you? Sorry, you've lost me there. I think you may have misinterpreted my post. :S

I was simply asking a question seeing as your post intimated you had a working understanding of the principle of why it would be of benefit.

Appreciate you clearing that up though :)

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Ah right, just thought given the previous conversations on here that there was only one part number for all the Mk2 RS Clio wishbones.

Even a lot of Renault dealer think all the wishbones are the same.

I can clear it up now 100% They are all differnet!

They all have there own part number and they all are still avalible at present time

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Chip,

Without looking through the entire thread, have you done anything to your bumper brackets, as mine on standard caster, but lowered on generic coilovers around 45mm causes rubbing on hard turns on track?