ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Great new Clio review in Auto Express

GR7

Shiny red R32

RACY CLIO HAS RIGHT FORMULA

There is a brilliant double page review on the new Clio in Auto Express today!! It ends by saying "With stunning looks and performance to match, the hot new Clio could shock bigger and more powerful rivals. As the final production model isnt likely to change much from the show car, expect strong demand when it arrives next year. If it handles as well as the firms previous hot hatch offerings, the Renaultsport may be a new class leader."

"The Clio Williams and 182 have a worthy successor and if it drives as good as it looks, the competitors will be very worried!"

FIVE RED STARS :cool: :D

Nippy white cup

Nice one...I still cant see it being as quick with the extra lard it carries around but I cant wait to see one in the flesh..or metal!

Chris

Dirty E91

5 stars but they havent driven it yet?

Should be a cracker but bit odd to rate the car before production?

[Edited by martynh on 17 August 2005 at 11:34am]

GR7

Shiny red R32

It is supposed to be much more powerful than previous Clios. Apparently it has a "racing-style underbody diffuser" - the first time that such a device has been fitted to a mainstream model. Usually found on high-performance supercars, it creates downforce and eliminates the need for a bulky rear spoiler.... so it says and it is lower, wider and more powerful than the other Clios in the range. Revised suspension ensures that it is as fast around corners as it is in a straight line.

We shall see!

Nippy white cup

Aye sounds great I think it is supposed to be high 190s bhp ish but a few hundred kg heavier. Unless of course they bring a Cup/Trophy version which would be perfect imo

Chris

106 GTi

How can people rate cars that are not even in production yet! No point making any judgements until they are there to be driven.

VW ....

Quote: Originally posted by GR7 on 17 August 2005

It is supposed to be much more powerful than previous Clios. Apparently it has a "racing-style underbody diffuser" - the first time that such a device has been fitted to a mainstream model. Usually found on high-performance supercars, it creates downforce and eliminates the need for a bulky rear spoiler.... so it says and it is lower, wider and more powerful than the other Clios in the range. Revised suspension ensures that it is as fast around corners as it is in a straight line.

We shall see!

Gotta do something with it seeming like its gonna be quite a bit heavier

dk

911 GTS Cab

We shall see!
that sounds very similar to the press release, bet they just rewrote that, typical auto express.

Octavia VRS

I have to laugh at Auto Express - got it last week and it showed the new Xsara Picasso, saying their drawings were pretty much exactly like how the finished car will look and showed a picture of it. They looked like 2 different cars!

We shall see!

much more powerfull ???, isnt it only 200bhp ?

Sounds good - maybe thats why the dealers are so desperate to do me a cracking deal on a Trophy (one of the sales guys I spoke to at Reg Vardy said they havent sold half as many as they were expecting!)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Just noticed that it will have unique twin spoke 18" alloys in its blistered wheelarches and wing vents to aid cooling the engine. Uprated Brembo brakes with cross-drilled discs and four individual bucket seats, white faced dials + rev counter with gear-ratio indicator blah blah blah......

I wonder if the colour choice will be limited!

I know one thing, I wont be buying one because I know Ill get fisted when each new special edition comes out. That and the fact that the dealers still wont know which end the engine is in, and will still take my car on 80 mile test drives for no reason and leave the petrol light on when I collect it.

It should be a great car, but I think some of you need to take your head out of the clouds with the "200bhp" talk...it doesnt matter, as the power/weight will actually be slightly less. The 6 gears should help it perform to CTR pace though, so a bit quicker top end.

Oh and Im glad Im not the only one who choked on my Herta Red Jak sausage when I saw a 5 Star rating for a car thats never turned a wheel outside of RenaultSport.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Just noticed that it will have unique twin spoke 18" alloys in its blistered wheelarches and wing vents to aid cooling the engine. Uprated Brembo brakes with cross-drilled discs and four individual bucket seats, white faced dials + rev counter with gear-ratio indicator blah blah blah......

I wonder if the colour choice will be limited!
this is just a list of the concepts specifications, i doubt it will have 4 individual seats or the 18" wheels in production form, hopefully the brembo brakes will stay though

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 17 August 2005

I know one thing, I wont be buying one because I know Ill get fisted when each new special edition comes out. That and the fact that the dealers still wont know which end the engine is in, and will still take my car on 80 mile test drives for no reason and leave the petrol light on when I collect it.

It should be a great car, but I think some of you need to take your head out of the clouds with the "200bhp" talk...it doesnt matter, as the power/weight will actually be slightly less. The 6 gears should help it perform to CTR pace though, so a bit quicker top end.

Oh and Im glad Im not the only one who choked on my Herta Red Jak sausage when I saw a 5 Star rating for a car thats never turned a wheel outside of RenaultSport.
top end is true but the 0-60 will suffer, as with the CTR, if you have 6 gears you need to use 3rd gear to get to 62mph whereas with the 182 it can be done in second meaning 1 less gear change and no loss of time (this all depends on the ratios I guess) but this is why the 182 matchs the civic 0-60 with the lower power, plus the gearbox on the CTR is amazing, so lets hope the new clio one will be half as good.

Lee

BMW M2C

Its unlikely 6 gears will help top end. In cars like the Civic and GTi-6 it just allows them to pack the ratios closer together. 6th isnt a cruising gear, its usually no higher than 5th would be if it only had a 5 speed gearbox.

It wont have seats like that, and some of the silver bits wont be silver.

Exactly as dave has said, this is a concept car only. Not sure how Auto Express review it with 5 stars (nice though that is) as they havent even seen it yet, let alone drive it

R

rich[182]

even if i could afford to get one id wait 6 months after release until the cup or trophy version came out, there bound to do one

Lotus Elise 111R

Price is not going to do it any favours either! Internet brokers will hopefully be cheaper pretty quickly - well at least once the waiting list dies down of all the people that MUST HAVE the first ones at full price.....

Corsa/Astra VXR

Focus ST...

Golf GTI

CTR

hmmmm......no rattles from these either.

The cost is one of the major benefits of the clio....does anyone feel that the extra few grand will be easily swallowed?

How can they rate a car they havent driven? Stupid.

6 gears isnt a problem for acceleration. Cooper S has 6 gears and does 70 in second!

GR7

Shiny red R32

I wish the new Clio looked like the V6 shape as I would have one. I prefer the seats behind me rather than that engine lump, even though mine have never been sat on yet!

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 17 August 2005Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 17 August 2005I know one thing, I wont be buying one because I know Ill get fisted when each new special edition comes out. That and the fact that the dealers still wont know which end the engine is in, and will still take my car on 80 mile test drives for no reason and leave the petrol light on when I collect it.

Oh and Im glad Im not the only one who choked on my Herta Red Jak sausage when I saw a 5 Star rating for a car thats never turned a wheel outside of RenaultSport.top end is true but the 0-60 will suffer, as with the CTR, if you have 6 gears you need to use 3rd gear to get to 62mph whereas with the 182 it can be done in second meaning 1 less gear change and no loss of time (this all depends on the ratios I guess) but this is why the 182 matchs the civic 0-60 with the lower power, plus the gearbox on the CTR is amazing, so lets hope the new clio one will be half as good.

Not sure I totally agree Dave. The 182 matches the CTR principly because it has near identical power/weight ratio and a tiny bit more torque. The gearing can be the only reason the CTR has a better top end surely? Perhaps its higher rev limit also comes into play? Either way, I think 6 gears allows a higher top ratio whilst still maintaining useable ratios for accelerating, without yawning gaps between cogs. Of course - wheel diameter and final drive ratio also play a part.

[EDIT] I guess the higher overall power output would also help to push the CTR (for example) through the air at high speeds, especially if its more aerodynamic (dont know if it is?)

Either way, back on topic, Id be amazed if the new RS Clio is any better a tarmac tool than the current car. At least in its early original form anyway. I hope its at LEAST as good though :)

[Edited by Roy Munson on 8/18/2005 8:14:08 AM]

Ross Pillock on "How to write stuff about a car you know f**k all about and have never even seen let alone driven"

The article is full of spin, presumtions, and plain bullsh*t.

Tomorrow Im going to write a review of the next CTR.

"The only disappointment is that we will have to wait until autumn 2006 to find out. However, if the newcomer is as good to drive as it is to look at, competitors will be very worried. On this evidence, the Clio Williams and 182 have a worthy successor."

What evidence? Your day dreaming non-factual expectations of a a concept car youve never seen or driven? Sorry, I realise the final car will be great, but lazy reporting just winds me up :D

R

rich[182]

is the power to weight ratio thought to be similar to current rs, also if new rs is to have 17" alloys wont that affect acceleration at lower speeds

Unfortunatly it sounds like the new Clio will be priced out of its current buyer market :(

It wont be sub 13k will it.