ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Great tangle with a Honda Civic Type R

Saw an old Renault 1916V up in front of me and shot up behind it ( I use to have one and fancied a play to see the difference ) only to find that he turned off straight away...Thats not fair I thought !

Just as I thought my luck was out, a lovely black Civic Type R filled up my rear view mirror. I pulled away slowly, making sure he was with me from every roundabout until we had the opportunity to open the cars up along a nice straight. Luckily we were both heading towards the A13 from Basildon and we both floored it in 2nd from about 25mph. I had the jump on him until about 70 - 80 when he was coming up ( but not as fast as I would have thought ). We continued to go all the way to just over tha magic 100 figure when I looked down and thought , thats enough fun for me, and I backed off to 75mph. The Civic driver obviously thoguht the same and stayed behind me for several miles with both of us flooring it when gaps opened up. The Civic was quicker above about 80, but below that I was surprised to see my 172 leaving him. ( ok slight exageration, but the Civic wasnt gaining )

Its the only thing I have come up against that actually gave the 172 a decent work out !.

I was very proud of the little 172, ( I have mine superchipped, although Im not sure it makes that much of a difference 5 - 8 bhp ? it was like that when I bought it ) given that the Honda has nearly 200bhp, I was surprised to see that the power difference wasnt that noticable.

A flash of the hazards ...and a good honest little race........thats what we like !

VW Transporter 174

Good Post Jungle

I personly dont think theres anything in it between a good 172 and a CTR ,you can quote all the bollox in the world about performance figs but i judge a car by its times round a track like castle combe and that tells the truth of how good the 172 is against a CTR.

Btw, were you at saddliers farm the other night about 7pm? theres not many black ones around and i clocked one.........or it slipped through the net ;)

Slayer

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 172 slayer on 06 May 2003

i judge a car by its times round a track like castle combe and that tells the truth of how good the 172 is against a CTR.
I agree with that...

But, it seems the CTR is in fact faster on track than the Clio, even the Cup!

Read the AutoCar group test times >>>

http://members.lycos.co.uk/pug306rallye/Autocar_Lap_Times_01.jpg

That was round Rockingham by the way.

Also, look how quick the little 1.6 boys are, with the Saxo VTS & 106 GTi being fookin close to the mighty Cup! :eek:

Slayer...Wheres Sadlers farm, I have heard of it but not sure exactly where you mean. ( Is that Chelmsord way ? )... Im often all over the place in Essex, but normally... Billericay, Upminster and surrounding areas !

Where are you from ?