ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Had a busy couple of weeks with the car , having it on a stand at the Scottish car show 2 weekends ago then on track Monday, Wed and SLS on Sunday.

The car ran faultlessly on all 3 track outings , but did suffer a bit of 1/4 damage when i gave a friend a shot who went off at duffers
icon_sad.gif
, luckily it want too bad so a bit of pry bar action and rattle can sorted that quickly.

My best lap from the weekend was a 1.01.15 , but couldn't repeat that in the final , was still a good experience and showed that I have a lot to learn.

1.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Yip thats todays project Sonny , i have got one of the little button ones that Russ fitted.

1438270978.jpg

Just need to make up a small bracket to hold the pin on the grill.

Got some new hoses fitted and gave the car a coolant change over to genuine renault stuff

1438270981.jpg

Also picked up another set of OZ superleggeras, and sold my last set of 2118's.

1438270959.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Got the 3rd clip installed which now secures the bonnet to the bumper/grill and stops the middle flex.
Also had a set of rain sports fitted to my 3rd set of OZ's
So that's the car ready for its next track day when ever that may be.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Yip even over my last set of 2118's which were the lighter ones at 6.9kg , the OZ are almost 2kg a corner lighter.
I now have Red OZ Ultraleggeras with medium A048's
Black OZ superleggeras with new soft A048's
Grey OZ Superleggeras with new Rainsport 3's
So all the same offset ET37 and similar weights , which means I can sell my 15 and 16mm spacers and save more weight.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Went to the CSOC weekender at Blyton last weekend, was good to try out a new track and it couldn't be more different from Knockhill my local track.
The car ran fine all day bar the ebay header tank splitting in half, luckily that happened in the pits not on track . Thanks to Stu for lending me the tank from his car after his clutch failed.

21090817570_6077b0f980_h.jpg

20657768903_6f56b969b6_h.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks I think the gripper final drive must have a shallower gear cut as it sounds like it's semi straight cut.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Looking good Neil! Almost looks effortless to drive fast as well. :up:
Its very planted when your in it, it does go very well at knockhill with the undulations, it seems like it made short work of Blyton...... Good effort Neil, I must get down next year for a wee shot too :)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
It was a good event we arrived late so missed most of the Bbq.
Plans for over the winter are fit rear shim , get it corner weighted and hopefully get some tuition booked.

I would ideally like to fit a dash2 and get rid of all the standard Renault wiring but I hate doing car wiring.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Sadly Im now no longer the owner of this little beast , with being away so much with work justnow i wasn't getting in enough trackdays to justify having the clio and jeep/towcar and the porsche .
I was tempted to break the car to get the as much money out of it as possible and had a breaking list of over £11000 worth of parts priced to sell , but after all the hard work put into it I ended up taking a £££ hit and selling it complete to someone that I know will look after the car.

I ended up picking up a standard ST180 last week to use as a daily/track toy , in the week I've had it its been lowered and tuned to around 230+bhp. Its never going to be as quick as the clio but i have this for duel use.

1447435951.jpg

1447435955.jpg

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Stu's getting as bad as me with it too Neil...... Think it will be in the show and shine as well as the SLS next year!!

IMG-20151107-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20151107-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20151107-WA0003.jpg

I'll take the tyre shine up at the weekend lol!!!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I love the Fiesta mate.... I really want to build a wide bodied one of those or a Polo, rally cross style...... I am contemplating selling the Clio too to start one.......🙈 Love the way they look I've chased a few on track, they handle exceptionally well in standard trim...... Can't see it being long before the modifying takes off on you one :up:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I ordered the parts to take it from 180 to 230+ bhp on the way up the road from picking the car up lol.
For a 1.6 i was shocked how torquey they are even as standard, with the exhaust,cooler,intake and redo map its actually a fairly fast little car now and still returns 40+mpg on a run and 30+ around the doors.
Stock the ride is really harsh on them so i fitted the mountain springs , which are wound to take some of the low speed crash out , while still lowering and firming the cornering up.
I would love to go fiesta R5 style on one , if this one hadn't already been fixed before i bought it, it would of been ideal as both 1/4's needed a little repair anyway.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I ordered the parts to take it from 180 to 230+ bhp on the way up the road from picking the car up lol.
For a 1.6 i was shocked how torquey they are even as standard, with the exhaust,cooler,intake and redo map its actually a fairly fast little car now and still returns 40+mpg on a run and 30+ around the doors.
Stock the ride is really harsh on them so i fitted the mountain springs , which are wound to take some of the low speed crash out , while still lowering and firming the cornering up.
I would love to go fiesta R5 style on one , if this one hadn't already been fixed before i bought it, it would of been ideal as both 1/4's needed a little repair anyway.
Before I had the cams / bodies and remap done, I was chasing one with montune kit on it, not sure what that does to it but someone mentioned 212 to 215, couldn't touch it on the straights, that turbo just makes it effortless. in the bends it looked like great fun, not as planted as the Clio, but even sitting high and on road tyres it just seemed to grip!!

I must nip along and have a look or catch you at the track

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Fire along and have a shot one day if you want, i may do a hybrid turbo at some point which should see 280 bhp but thats as far as I would take it. Simon from Sitech was running 330 bhp out of his but thats a good bit more £££

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Ash likes the wheels on the fiesta Neil!

@cpaterson76 I thought you were on about the show and shine when you asked if I was doing SLS [emoji12]

@CallyTeee My wee yellow beast will sit in the corner till I get round to getting it painted and rebuilt... Lol!

Allready sold my other sunflower to make way for the green one :(

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I bought the rolling shell back from stu and the same night did a deal with Fraser for his s1 engine that has been mapped at efi after the cams were set to group n settings.
I've since picked up a centre exit exhaust and a sabelt steering wheels.
Also have gaz coilovers , shafts , gearbox lined up so should have all the parts needed to rebuild it soon. Still to sort a pure/bms shifter and a few other small parts.
I'm also going to have to tidy up and repaint a few parts where the paint has lifted when Stu removed the sls graphics he had for racing last year, the car will be going back to plain green with silver wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_8615.JPG
    IMG_8615.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 106

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to pick up a pure motorsport shifter second hand :)
I think that should be all the parts i need to get the car back out on track bar some new injectors and a fuel rail.

What site are people using to post pictures on here now after photobucket decided to charge ??

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks John will try that now :)

Looks so strange seeing the car with no stickers on it .
when i sold the car it had the red and black then Stu had his sponsor logos on the car since.
Looking forward to getting this back out on track , been about 8 months since i was last on track and that was in the Lotus which was a totally different beast to the clio.

23336371_10155015726251299_1391975515_o.jpg

The reason I went for the clio is I sold the Lotus and bought an Audi, which I do plan on trying on track but the clios cant be beat for the cost.

23509248_10155033187256299_7254260688173216660_o.jpg

Last edited:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Im enjoying it and tent to use it more than I did the Porsche, only had it a few months but started to get it how i want.
Standard
20245746_10154757031246299_6668011831184309228_n.jpg

Lowered + wheel spacers
IMG_8257.JPG

Black side blades
IMG_8460.JPG

Forged OZ wheels , new style caliper decals, carbon GT spoiler and rear panel ( now has audi badge on the back and center caps fitted to the wheels)

IMG_8781.JPG

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
But back to the clio :)
Its now tucked away until I get some time to build it back up , probably at the start of next year.
Just now is sitting on a set of Sparco Cromodora alloys that i have had sitting for a while that may become my wets , I also bought a set of OZf1's that will be going for re furb with cut slicks.

IMG_8806.JPG

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_8774.JPG

When it was ready for collection with a pile of bits. We dropped the engine and box I bought in to save moving loads of parts.
Will be weird to see the bay without throttle bodies.