ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Decided the engine bay needed a bit more colour.

20190509_140742.jpg

Where are your engine mounts? :)

Already seen how it's mounted. It's purely mounted to the subframe? Is this done for ease of dismantling? I'd say that the original engine and gearbox mounts would be a lot more around the center point of the engine. Now, there is a lot more weight hanging on the dogbone mount. What's your opinion on this?

Last edited:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I would guess it was done on the cup cars to ease engine removal and also clear access for working in the bay. Plus with the sequential box you really need the engine solid mounted

To drop the engine its now probably a 25 min job once the car is in the air.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh it give a good bit more room.
I did think about chopping out the frame work on the inner wing , but decided to keep it so could put a standard engine/box back in if needed.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh it give a good bit more room. I did think about chopping out the frame work on the inner wing , but decided to keep it so could put a standard engine/box back in if needed.

Would be nice to remove it, visually and for access to the engine but I think you have done the right thing for sure, always good to have an easy back up option.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I fitted one of the cup racer lower arms tonight to the passenger side.
Without getting a before and after alignment I wouldn't say there looks to be a big change to the caster over my old polybushed cup bottom arm.
I do think they may be slightly longer though.

Before
20190510_193139.jpg

After
20190510_204952.jpg

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Looks the same to me. Guess you’ll find out when you get alignment done.

You out on the CSOC night in the 3rd Neil?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Scott yip out on the 3rd to give it a run but will be more of a test/shakedown.

It's not much of a change but the actual bush design is better so will have less play.

Cup top
Cup racer bottom

20190511_194051.jpg

The inside as it sits justnow , but if anyone knows of a lhd dash top. I have a plan for the inside

20190507_131833.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Little more done today with a v band and flexi fitted to the manifold.
Badly need to re do the heat lagging on the bottom section of the manifold. But the exhaust now seals up well and little less vibration in the car.

20190521_232609.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Think that's the car now ready for alignment. Eventually got the dash2 set up with all sensors working and speedo pick up fitted.
I still have to calibrate the fuel sensor but the tank is full justnow.

20190527_163919.jpg
20190527_163756.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Had the car in for alignment today took it to a local place I've used in the past with a hunter machine, so haven't had it weighed or corner weighted justnow.

Looks like the cup racer lower arms dont give any more static caster than the regular cup road car ones, they just have a uprated bush design. This is handy as means I can keep my old arms as spares.

20190530_163450.jpg
20190530_113517.jpg

Back on the dyno tomorrow morning to re check the dueling after I balanced the bodies and changed the injectors. This seems to have sorted the hesitation at 2000 rpm.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Well things didnt go to plan today but in a good way I guess.
After changing the injectors to qure the low down stutter , I wanted the map checked. Instantly the AFR was different ,so started to adjust the map and re scale the TPS to give good low down throttle control.
The car was making less power than before but still 175 ATW , but then the full rev range went lean on the second last run. Adjustments were made to the map but it still wasnt as safe as liked to be.
Plan now is to change the pump as it looks to be dying when It gets hot.
I will fit a gauge to the rail , replace the pump and re check it. If the standard injectors are getting too close to max I will fit my larger ones.
Lucky I got it checked or could of easily melted an engine if pushing on track, as it was getting towards the dangerously lean stage.

Did get some cool flame video

On getting home I pulled the pump and found a fair bit of dirt in the bowl which wouldn't be helping either.
20190531_140217.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I've fitted a new pump and added a temporary fuel pressure gauge to the end of the rail to monitor pressure while it's on the rollers.
Justnow its showing 3.5 bar and seems steady under light load.
Apart from that I've not touched the car apart from moving it off the trailer as I needed it to move a kids play house .
Been too busy with it's new garage mate.?

20190712_152225.jpg
20190712_152229.jpg
20190712_152247.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Very lucky on getting it checked, deffo better to be safe than sorry.
Hope you get to the bottom of it easily and out a couple more times this year.

As mentioned elsewhere I think I may be bothering you about the loom bits as I think I have more issues....

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped the car off yesterday to get fueling checked after changing the pump as I'm booked on track on Wed night.
Got a shout from Simon at Sitch this morning to say he ended up fitting my larger injectors and adjusting the map to suit and it was responding well with smooth curve and 173 bhp so will pick it up tomorrow.

20190722_203250.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
That was at the wheels so will be close to 200 at the fly I would think.
Looking forward to eventually getting it out on track tomorrow eventually to give it a shake down.
Only thing I need to do still is sort and calibrate the fuel gauge , but may just have to top up the tank each session tomorrow.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
That was at the wheels so will be close to 200 at the fly I would think.
Looking forward to eventually getting it out on track tomorrow eventually to give it a shake down.
Only thing I need to do still is sort and calibrate the fuel gauge , but may just have to top up the tank each session tomorrow.

Good times, best of luck tomorrow chap. Thank you for looking at the dash for me. Much appreciated

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
similar cars similar problems... :confused::cautious:
My rev counter was working fine , I wired and calibrated the fuel level sensor yesterday so probably just messed something up in the dash 2 file. If i had my laptop with me i could of checked revs from the ecu and messed with the dash.

Sadly no onboard vids as i didn't bother fitting my go pro

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
My rev counter was working fine , I wired and calibrated the fuel level sensor yesterday so probably just messed something up in the dash 2 file. If i had my laptop with me i could of checked revs from the ecu and messed with the dash.

Sadly no onboard vids as i didn't bother fitting my go pro

Ah thats good to hear then, all in-hand. I'll head up when mine needs calibrating ;)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Couple more pics from last week.

I'm going to try and get a couple of track days booked for Sept before the baby comes then will probably shelf the car until next year.
It really could do with a quick blow over to freshen the paint up again but will hold off on that until I know if I will be keeping it long term.

FB_IMG_1564242289038.jpg
FB_IMG_1564176197046.jpg
FB_IMG_1564176316040.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
If I ever do decide to get rid of it , i will probably break or at least despec it considerably.
Just now Im hoping to use it when I can as that's the spending finished on it at least.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
If I ever do decide to get rid of it , i will probably break or at least despec it considerably.
Just now Im hoping to use it when I can as that's the spending finished on it at least.

I’m sure I’ve heard you say that before..........

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
My old engine with this box would of been brilliant, its actually easier than i thought to use the box on track.
I must nip up Neil..... I’ve only been out once this year, so hopefully I’ll make it up at some point to catch up