ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

grinding from rear drums

t3 corolla 116bhp
lately ive been getting a bit of a grinding noise from the passengers side rear drum (possibly drivers side as well but passengers is louder) when i apply either footbrake or habdbrake whilst driving.

the thing is, the brake shoes were replaced on both sides, along with both wheel cylinders, within the last 18 months.

car has done around 15k in that time, is this normal life expectancy for the shoes? the handbrake lever inside still fels fairly tight and it doesnt travel up excessively in order to apply the handbrake securely.

any thoughts?

RS CLIO 197
if it doesnt go off after a short while its probably not damp build up causing a slight rusting of the brake drum surface - i would have a look could be a broken adjuster spring etc

i have also had the brake lining come away from the shoe but thats mainly been on old linings :D

t3 corolla 116bhp
how long is a short while, like after a few miles of driving etc? hasnt had an awful lot of use over the last 3 months at uni would have been sitting parked up for days at a time in some instances. would that have any bearing on it?

RS CLIO 197
how long is a short while, like after a few miles of driving etc? hasnt had an awful lot of use over the last 3 months at uni would have been sitting parked up for days at a time in some instances. would that have any bearing on it?

could do with the damp weather - need to drive up the road and pull the handbrake on a few notches until you can feel it dragging and see if it goes off after a short while - if its rust build up due to damp then the nosie should stop :D

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
ive had this as well. It seems to occur for me only after its been raining heavy. It clears after they have been used though. Seems definately rust, to me.

t3 corolla 116bhp
took it out last night for a quick run and the noise does go after a few jabs of the handbrake so prbably just surface rust etc. thanks

Audi TTS S Tronic
Be careful with this.

When I got my Clio.. one of the rear brake shoes slipped... the lining came off the shoe.. jammed the rear left wheel up solid... was a pain to get the drum off and everything, took around 4 hours to do it. Luckily I was only going 20 mph in a 20mph limit!