ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

group N cam timing

stumac

ClioSport Club Member
I think everyone thought I was a liar when I said just how much of an improvement it makes tbh mate. Who's got egg on their fuckin face now then eh?
Idle speed is easy to fix!!

You might get more interest in the group buy for the timing tool now!!

clio 182
This is awesome, thanks for sharing. I've always thought the group N timing sounds like a good idea, so good to see the curve. After the "added air leak" and calibration tweaks how is the idle? Is it still noticeably worse than standard?

dan's cast offs.
This is awesome, thanks for sharing. I've always thought the group N timing sounds like a good idea, so good to see the curve. After the "added air leak" and calibration tweaks how is the idle? Is it still noticeably worse than standard?

Nah, sounds a bit lumpy but have heard worse on standard cars when they've got an issue.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Would mapping costs be the higher rate that EFI charge for cams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So timing can be adjusted without requiring a new belt? So for those within range of @bloke it's re-time and then map to maximise? That torque curve looks sweet:up:
It's a bit moody re-timing it and not replacing the belt mate tbf. If anything fails after the timings been adjusted, the person who did it will be held responsible. Even if it's f**k all to do with them!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
My belts only 2 years old. I'm out:cry:
The grp n timing alters the dynamic compression ratio, so technically an old belt will be working a bit harder too.

With the basic induction and exhaust mods though, it's the best bang per £ you'll ever get from an f4r. I loved my old cup on grp n and they do/did a tool for the mk3 too. That requires a cam swap on the mk3 though to get the full effect. I have it all sat in my garage.....😂

Clio 172 cup
The grp n timing alters the dynamic compression ratio, so technically an old belt will be working a bit harder too.

With the basic induction and exhaust mods though, it's the best bang per £ you'll ever get from an f4r. I loved my old cup on grp n and they do/did a tool for the mk3 too. That requires a cam swap on the mk3 though to get the full effect. I have it all sat in my garage.....😂
The low down torque is so much better isn’t it mark

172 Cup
Very interesting indeed. It would have been nice to have seen the bhp figures too - give a % gain if nothing else.

dan's cast offs.
Would mapping costs be the higher rate that EFI charge for cams?

yup as it's a full map.

So timing can be adjusted without requiring a new belt? So for those within range of @bloke it's re-time and then map to maximise? That torque curve looks sweet:up:

in theory yes as you're not retensioning the belt.

Very interesting indeed. It would have been nice to have seen the bhp figures too - give a % gain if nothing else.

figures are irrelevant. the graph is what counts.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
yup as it's a full map.

in theory yes as you're not retensioning the belt.

figures are irrelevant. the graph is what counts.

Cheers, just adding up costs will drop you a pm.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Looking forward to getting my car out on track now , as the engine I just fitted (Frasers old one ) has group N timing and efi map.
Im just hoping there was enough fuel in the map to compensate for any changes caused by my different exhaust.

Clio 182 Trophy
My belts are due so I've been looking at 438/421 catcams (track car) with the view longer term to go throttle bodies as well once funds allow.

Would these be a good alternative or better off going with the Catcams. Money isn't the issue, I just want the best I can get rather than just making do for the sake of a few hundred quid.

Cheers

dan's cast offs.
My belts are due so I've been looking at 438/421 catcams (track car) with the view longer term to go throttle bodies as well once funds allow.

Would these be a good alternative or better off going with the Catcams. Money isn't the issue, I just want the best I can get rather than just making do for the sake of a few hundred quid.

Cheers

get 438 in and then when you get bodies get them re timed to 421 set up.

dan's cast offs.
438 better without bodies though? Then change timing to 421? Would I need to factor in a full belt change and map again? @bloke

will need mapping anyway as you'd be going to bodies and no real need for a belt change as you're only moving exhaust cam timing, you don't let the tension off the belt for that.

Clio 182 Trophy
Ah yeah fair one haha, I'm in nightshift mood so don't judge 😂

Sweet. Looks like that's going to be my plan of attack then lol

Looked on PMS website and I think there was a few different types of 438s ... I may be wrong ... ?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So is anyone offering the Grp N setup with belts and dephaser, etc?

I'm potentially buying a 182 cup tomorrow, and it needs belts changing at the end of the month, so if this is available i'd definitely be interested