ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

group N cam timing

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
This is great to hear! I've booked in with Chris for the 23rd of june and northloop is doing me a group n tool, I'm running jenvey 48mm bodies and gen90 so will be good to see what you guys can get out of it. Northloop isn't to sure what if any gains will be made as it's supposed to work with standard inlets and what not but it must surely still work.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Did my first trackday last week since fitting the engine with group N timing and efi map . I was impressed with the power delivery , and low down torque out of tight corners.

Has anyone ran group N timing with a turbo ?? As im planning on going turbo later in the year , would I be better to go back to standard timing for that ?

57DD66C6-5FE2-4403-8D7E-5E2E104569FF.jpeg

dan's cast offs.
Needs to be on stock timing for boost.

Could sound nice with bodies but not sure about gains though? From what we've seen though shouldn't drop any at least!!

Had another one done, not massive gains but almost hits peak torque at about 2,500rpm. Drops a bit after but then picks back up.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Ah oh, now I understand. So still have to Jack up the off side ofd the engine up. Put all the tools in retime it and then lift idle up to 1100rpm on the bodies so it will idle

dan's cast offs.
Might have to mess with your tps possibly but just depends on how it idles.

You've got to pretty much do belts as a full job if you crack the inlet cam off don't forget as you have to clean the oil away before you set it up.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Some good reading here, who is all offering group n timing then? From what Iv gathered in this thread its bloke and EFi? Is it just the labour involved for the belt change / timing setup and then mapping on top? Would be good to know a rough cost.

dan's cast offs.
Some good reading here, who is all offering group n timing then? From what Iv gathered in this thread its bloke and EFi? Is it just the labour involved for the belt change / timing setup and then mapping on top? Would be good to know a rough cost.

will pm you later but the price varies, phase 1 is cheaper though.

Is mapping necessary top take advantage of the Group N timing?

100% has to be mapped

dan's cast offs.
after the idle tweak, can it be driven to and from a mapping session?
say about 150Km?

Yeah, as long as you don't hammer it. If you've got much stop starting or at in traffic a lot be prepared for the fuel to be all over the place and slow to drop as well.

dan's cast offs.
just had this car back in for a 182 exhaust manifold to see what if any difference it makes. hopefully get it up for a run this week.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
If one had Cat Cam 428s already installed and were doing belts, could you:
a) Use Oe renault timing gear
b) Only use Cat Cam timing gear
c) Use Group N timing gear or
d) none of the above ?

dan's cast offs.
If one had Cat Cam 428s already installed and were doing belts, could you:
a) Use Oe renault timing gear
b) Only use Cat Cam timing gear
c) Use Group N timing gear or
d) none of the above ?

Would have to look at specs but fwir the 428 is sold as a fast road cam? They do a 420 (?) That I think they list as a group n cam?

All depends what the spec of the car, what you want from it and how much money you want to throw at it.

Messing with cam timing will generally produce some form of gain/benefit BUT you can either do it by working out that to set to and setting it once or doing it on the rollers and tweaking the timing to find the best setting, this was is the one that will cost silly money and is only really for when you are trying to squeeze every single bit of power out of an engine.

dan's cast offs.
don't think there are big gains from them but will have to have a quick look at the specs on them, not looked at them for ages.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
420 are the group n

duration @ 0.1mm
269°/256°
duration @ 1.0mm
231°/219°
valve lift
11.25mm/10.25mm
valve lift @ TDC
0.40mm/1.55mm

duration @ 0.1mm