ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grrr everytime i clean i find something! Spray painters opinions needed?

Ly Megane 230 F1
Thought i would spent tonight putting another layer of poor boys diamond glaze since the weather was nice.. but anyway.
When i was taking it off i came across this! :( felt like crying at the sight of it.

20120530_203249.gif
20120530_203300.gif

My question for the spray painters...

I was wanting to get a front end respray (bumper and bonnet) at some point in the next 3 to 4months..im sick of seeing so many stone chips and the scuff on the bumper you can see in the first pic.
I have been reading that this colour is a nightmare to match so i know it will be needing blending. When they blend it into the front wings would this wee mark get covered?

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
I'm not a painter, I may also be wrong but from working around painters I have always heard horror stories with liquid yellow. The colour is really hard to match and usually panels come out looking different regardless of the blending. In my opinion I wouldn't bother with something so small. Hope this helps

Ly Megane 230 F1
Im not respraying the front because of this mark..there is a scuff you can see in the first photo and the usual stone chips on the bumper and bonnet

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Paint will not fill that hole. It needs repairing or a new wing.

Ly Megane 230 F1
Am i not right in saying if i pay for a paint job and its obviously not matching that i dont have to accept it from the sprayer though? :)

I know there is so many things that come into consideration but does anyone know a rough guess on a price? i was guessing around £400?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just make sure you research your chosen painter.

Do you live anywhere near Gally? His place is supposed to be good. And the way he bangs on about how good he is at his job, it should come out better than new!

Ly Megane 230 F1
I dont know where he stays but i doubt it..i live nowhere near anyone lol. i stay in the north of scotland, i dont mind traveling 150 odd miles for the right spray job. within a 30mile radius of where i am there is atleast 8 spray painting places (not including main dealer garages).

Im guessing with this colour a full respray is the only way for it to look good again? so theres no miss match in colour.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No.

My mate is a very good painter and has recently done a LY clio. Front bumper, wing and back bumper from memory. He asked me to go and have a look as he knows i'm a clio geek and it was a 99.9% perfect match.

Its perfectly do-able, but as ever, it depends on the person operating the tools.

Ly Megane 230 F1
Think il get on researching close by places first then if im not convinced il stretch out to places else where. Thanks for the help guys

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
i had mine done and it was mint. as long as the painter is good and they use the right paint it will be fine
£400 -£500 is about right.
paint seems to chip off easy or it could have been painted before, one of me bump strips was like that

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A decent place will not have any trouble blending it in. The fist time I had bits done I rejected it, poor prep led to a poor colour so was very pale. They had another guy in the firm do the prep and paint and came out perfect. I later on had the front end re sprayed and again came out perfect. Yes it will need to be blended in but that is just a light misting almost. It won't be prepped as such so therefore may add colour to that patch but you'll still always notice it. Only way round that mark is to have it done properly. You may find they do it slightly cheaper as they would have to blend that panel anyway.

Ly Megane 230 F1
Thanks for the heads up mate :).. If you dont mind me asking what you paid for the front end respray? just so it gives me rough figures :)

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Id defiantly speak to gally about it as said above his place seems to have a brilliant reputation and as we all know gally is a perfectionist when it comes to cars.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yeah that was LY and the car daniel was refuring to.
i paid £400 for bonnet and the whole of the N/S to be done and blend in to O/s wing

inferno 182.
sorry to burst any bubbles!!! liquid yellow is a 3 stage pearl so repaint only! many bodyshops will steer clear and painters book holiday if this sort of colour comes in! it cant be blended as a 3 stage pearl!!! it can be done though! ive got a simalar mx5 colour coming in next month which is a 3 stage! it needs to be converted into a 2 stage!(so you can blend it) this can be done but you have to find someone who does know what there doing!advise is good so far on thread but beware and make sure they do a spraycard and show you what match they have before you have it done! pity your not closer!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hi chap, sorry I missed the thread first time round. We are a fair trek from Inverness but Ali was willing to travel from Aberdeen to use us. Sadly holidays did not suit. We would happily do the job for you mate.

I would certainly look at somewhere closer first, speak to the bodyshop and pay more if you feel the job will be right. Make sure the assessor knows what the colour entails and make sure he knows what he's talking about. I'm sure you'll be able to judge how well your car will be looked after.

It's not an easy colour to do but at the same time no garage should be turning it away if they price the job correctly it should be fine.

Can you confirm that picture is a hole or a chip? Imo it looks like water under the basecoat, led to from poor prep and painting panels without items removed. The basecoat and lacquer doesn't "seal" to an edge so the water can creep under the basecoat. Leaves an inking or milking effect.

inferno 182.
looking at the picture looks like a chip to me prob like gally says down to bad rep and chips easy as the paint hasnt stuck to the panel?
this could be down to poor prep or as the wing is plastic it hasnt been primed properley!
anyway! 3 stage pearl cant really be blended!
i will find out on weds when back at work if there is a 2 stage for this colour maybe in solvent based paint.
if we can find a 2 stage formulation you can have your bonnet and bumper painted and it can be flicked accross the top of your wings and through the front which will get rid of the damage to the front of your o/s/f wing.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Garage managed to blend my Petrol Blue which I think is a 3 stage too, took them three attempts mind

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Saner, What did you have done in Petrol Blue and what bodyshop did you use?
gally, are you in the spraying business also? Where are you based? Would you touch Petrol blue? (Front/ rear bumper etc?)

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Thanks saner. I'll take a look but I think gally is nearer to me from memory but don't know.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols definitely not close mate. Easily enough to do though mate, all about the quality of the paint and the painter imo. No colour is too difficult mate.

If the garage says it is, just leave. If they have no confidence then what chance has your car got!

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I have a bodyshop at my work at a main dealer but I wouldn't trust them with it on my pearl black, let alone to tidy my petrol blue one. Thanks for replies. (even though it was a semi hijack).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No problem mate. Be in no rush and try plenty of places. :)

inferno 182.
back to the liquid yellow guys! check my standox water based and a 3 stage so no go there but phoned around and theres a 2 stage version in ici nexa which is a solvent based product so can be blended more easy and you maybe be able to use as a touch up pending on transparancey! maybe gally could chase up this formula in scotland and any other painters around?
ive got some ordered and will do some sprayouts over the next few day with 2/3/4/5/6 coats and see if the colour changes with amount of coats and post my results! would be a result for all you ly owners out there with a paint that can be blended!!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yeah my painter used that he said he didnt have it last one he done and it was a nightmare but he said it was 2 stage and it was mint after

inferno 182.
will have some sprayouts done by the end of the weekend mate so pending results could send you a sprayout to see how it matches your one! anyone else?