ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gti 180 to 182 cup????

PEUGEOT 206 GTI 180
Hello people im new here!

Ive had my 206 gti 180 since april this year love the car to bits but fancy a change, and i was thinking about going for a new inferno red 182 cup :D

Do you think im mad?? i had my eye on an astra vxr but they want mega buks per month unless you have a hefty deposit!

I stand to loose a fortune because i bought my pug on finance so trading it in is gona be a killer!! due to deprieciation etc

I want a clio!!! any advise would be much aprieciated!

thanks

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
If you're going to change, why not go for a late spec 172 as performance is not far off the 182 and would be much cheaper which would help seeing as you will lose alot on the GTI.
I would personally wait a short while as values will continue to tumble with release of the new Clio and the forthcoming RS.

ST
len_beach said:
If you're going to change, why not go for a late spec 172 as performance is not far off the 182 and would be much cheaper which would help seeing as you will lose alot on the GTI.
I would personally wait a short while as values will continue to tumble with release of the new Clio and the forthcoming RS.

To be fair you can pick up a mint mk2 172 with -20k on it for around the 7-7.k mark these days, but yeah when the new RS comes out the current RS will be worth buttons.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
keep your 180 for a whie yet matey. i don't think it would be worth it as you won't get any real gain in performace and the 180 will hold its value better probably and there are less of them about also

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the GTi 180 was ment to be boring to drive compared to the 182 though? Look at all the hot hatch reviews you hear about, never really hear the GTi180 getting mentioned usually only the 182, type R and focus ST170

Mini Cooper S sport
If you've only had the 180 since April, I'd hang to it a bit longer, especially as it's on finance. They are nice cars and you could do a lot worse. Maybe wait til the new RS Clio comes out next spring? At least you'll have had your car a year then.

PEUGEOT 206 GTI 180
I wouldn't say it was boring atall but far more performance than an st 170!! and quicker than a cooper-s, I used to have an st 170 years ago and found it sluggish! I chopped that in after a year and i dont miss it!

Acording to test drive magazine i can haggle the price of a new 182 cup down to 11400!! and probably come out better in terms of monthly payments

surely renault will be willing to let the last few new 182's go for peanuts to make way for the new rs clio????

MKIII 138
lee_180 said:
I wouldn't say it was boring atall but far more performance than an st 170!! and quicker than a cooper-s, I used to have an st 170 years ago and found it sluggish! I chopped that in after a year and i dont miss it!

Acording to test drive magazine i can haggle the price of a new 182 cup down to 11400!! and probably come out better in terms of monthly payments

surely renault will be willing to let the last few new 182's go for peanuts to make way for the new rs clio????

st170`s are awesome at cornering though.

i like the 180gti`s there overlooked yet are fairly light and have 180bhp also have more tuning options for then in fact cheaper tuning options that renault have, its taken years for renault to get any decent tuners out there, thank god for GDI, Angelworks, Yozaasport, RenTech, Hillpower, BBPT prices are coming down for tuning options.

saw a throttlebodie kit on eccosse for like £2500 inc vat and fitted ! over £1800-£2000 less than Clio version

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'm sure a 180 would be a good laugh to drive. depends on what you want. i wouldn't mind a spin out in one. i reckon they would very similiar.

MKIII 138
seb182 said:
i'm sure a 180 would be a good laugh to drive. depends on what you want. i wouldn't mind a spin out in one. i reckon they would very similiar.

agree, obviously the 172/182 are sooo light compared with most cars their power to weight is very very good but there are downsides to this stripped style of supermini, the 206 is a supremini but its proportions are closer to hatchback inside than the tiny clio, also may not mean much but its a bit better plastics and and niceer in the rear etc..

PEUGEOT 206 GTI 180
Ive never driven a clio never mind a 182 cup im sure there great fun i like small cars after owning 3 205 gti's.

I Should have test drove the 182 before i bought the 180 then maybe i could have been happy in the fact i made the right choice?

MKIII 138
lee_180 said:
Ive never driven a clio never mind a 182 cup im sure there great fun i like small cars after owning 3 205 gti's.

I Should have test drove the 182 before i bought the 180 then maybe i could have been happy in the fact i made the right choice?

could you be happy in the fact that you own a new car thats nice and much better than what alot of people can afford to run maintain.

btw what colour is it ?

PEUGEOT 206 GTI 180
Its onyx black here is a few pics of it :D

100_0145.jpg

100_0148.jpg

000_0476.jpg

100_0150.jpg

100_0151.jpg

Anyone want to swap??? :D

Racing Blue 182
For some reason i cant get insured on one of those been 19 but i can get insured on my 182, dont make sense if you ask me

Ad

MK2 FRS
Look at one before I returned to the RS range. People will critise it on here, but theyre a really nice motor.

To be honest I think if you got a 182cup you might struggle with the interior compare to your GTi180!! I really like the interior of the GTI180 but couldnt put up with the cups interior.

For me the 182 has a bit more raw alround abilty than the GTI but expect residuals to be better on on the GTI.

Would have had to be blue for me as well!!

PEUGEOT 206 GTI 180
people will critisise but each to there own really at least its french and not a jap car its more of an ally than a rival.

interior is nice but doesn't bother me if i was to loose out on it. If i wanted comfort and gadjets i would of bought a jag lol.

going to speak to renault stealer in kettering tomorrow ill let you know how it goes. I dont like the look of the new clio sport? maybe it will grow on me

13.jpg

10.jpg

08.jpg

05.jpg

03.jpg

01.jpg

c85m5innovat20rh.jpg

c85m5innovat67ku.jpg

c85m5innovat440px.jpg

Ad

MK2 FRS
Honestly would go for the full fat version cupped. if you want a cup, 172 cup all the way!!!

Clio 197
This is my old 206 GTi (138).

It was great fun, but it really lacked torque... and it had huge amounts of tyre roar - so I couldn't hear the engine as much.

It did just over 60k and it wasn't in a good-state IMO.

That said, it was lots of fun, just not as much as my 182.

They must have done a fair amount to the 206 since I gad mine, so obviously not all of this applies...

(YES: I do miss her)

pug206b.gif

Boz

Arctic 182
The main let down with the 180 is the handling. If I were you i'd keep it but spend some money on aftermarket coilover suspension to sort the handling and lower it.
I'm not an expert on this but search pug GTI forums for advice on the best kit. I believe Leda / Blisteen make the best kits for the 182.

Ad

MK2 FRS
lee_180 said:
Whats the diffrence??

182 with cup suspensions and spoilers comes with all the gadgets, Xenons leather climate etc.

182 cup is basically a dynamique model with 2.016v engine.

172 cup was a limited run in blue (a few silver) Came with Speedline turninis own interior, but the fastest RS model made to date. no ABS though some later ones had AC or climate.

You are arguing over a few tenths (7.0, 6.9 and 6.8) in the order above, think Im right figures but its defo that order.

I personally wanted a few luxuries and they are things you will have got used to on your GTi 180.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
When looking for a new toy recently i had the pleasure of driving the two back to back (along with a CTR), being a lover of all things pug, ie 2 x 106gti's and a 306 Rallye, i would have loved to get a gti 180. But it just didnt cut the mustard in my opinion, here are my write ups:

206 was very nice, but whilst the Aegean blue colour is gorgeous, I just couldn’t get on with the external looks or the hideous ‘leather’ parts of the interior - seats were excellent though! It pulled well with a smooth power curve, but little in the way of out and out excitement or any noticeable kick in the rev range (and yes it was warmed up), steering was nicely weighted, but felt quite detached and gave poor feedback I thought – no doubt due to the variable assistant malarkey. I decided that it would make an excellent motorway cruiser, but not quite exciting enough to make me lust after one. I think my mums gonna be receiving one soon though, as my dad fell in love with it on the test drive and it looks ‘sporty and nice’ – looks however can be deceiving for those after the biggest thrills, like myself.

Civic Type-R, very comfy, and the gearbox was lovely with good positioning on the dashboard, but didn’t do anything until 10 million revs and the steering was very artificially weighty which I didn’t like. The thing that put me off the most though was that it was like driving a rocket powered Renault Espace, it felt and looked like I was driving a family bus. A good car for a young couple with a newborn child, lots of space and practicality but with decent driving fun for the weekends – great for the guy who refuses to grow old and buy an estate car to please the wife and kids.

Clio 182 ‘full-fat’ with both cup packs. I got in, turned the traction control off and pulled away …. it felt alive, excellent steering, with feedback bombarding you from all angles. Reminded of the first time I drove a 106 gti, just like a go-cart with the potential for much grinning and idiotic driving. Hit 5k rpm and it took off, spinning round to the redline before you realise its time to change gear. Awesome fun and just what I want, im losing the outright speed of my car, but the buzziness and handling ability more than make up for it . . and it’ll cost bugger all to buy & run. Brilliant, im off to find one in inferno orange . . . i actually bought one in racing, but hey i much prefer it now :D

Owned it for 5 days and absolutely love it!!

106 GTi
After Years and years of owning Peugeots, the 206 180 being the car it was is why I ended up getting my 182. For me the the two cars felt worlds apart on the road. Will you not miss all the toys getting a the cup model after having a decent spec in the 180?

Like you said you should have driven the 182 before buying the 180, i'd chop the 180 in for a 182 myself though!

When I purchased mine it was between the 182, 180 and Civic type R, the 182 left me wanting to buy it after the test drive the other 2 didnt.

adtmits said:
182 cup is basically a dynamique model with 2.016v engine.

LOL what a spanner - its the same car without the half leather seats, and it's missing a few 'toys' which means it wont spend as much time in the dealers getting them replaced ;)

Ad

MK2 FRS
Roy Munson said:
LOL what a spanner - its the same car without the half leather seats, and it's missing a few 'toys' which means it wont spend as much time in the dealers getting them replaced ;)

Not denying it roy, hwoever, 13k on clock and not one warranty claim on mine. I just found it difficult to understand why they put the exact same seats as a dynamique in it!!!

For me the 1k less or slighly more on list price for a cup leaves you with a lot more options missing than the savings made. Each to there own, but I personally found the difference in prices second hand not worth taking the cup, for £200 more you get full spec.

Howd you get on the dealers lee??

Ph1
Got talking to a lad who owns a Pug 206 180 and he said he's lucky to get out of the 20's when it comes to mpg !!!