ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GTI-6, Ibiza Cupra R, or Cup

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Having a bit of trouble deciding on my next car, tempted by any of the 3 above. I know this is a Clio site, blah blah, biased but still, opinions are always welcome!

GTI-6 can pick up minters for 6k, lot of car for the money, 167bhp, 6 speed, not bad as standard, not amazingly quick?

Ibiza Cupra R, 180bhp turbo, very good engine, solid built car, not sure about the looks, easy to tune into monsters.

Cup, 10k for a decent 2nd hand un, terrible build quality but best modern hot hatch around. The build quality is what really puts me off on this!

If anyone else has any ideas of a decent, modern (around 98/99 plate or newer) hot hatch, for 10/11k or less, thatll be reliable enough to do 60+ mile a day and hit 60 in 6/7 seconds with good handling.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by zedx19 on 21 November 2003

terrible build quality !!
Compared to what that would be around £10,000

Get the Cup, yes this is a Clio forum, so yes we are bias. But you do get alot of car for your money when you buy a Cup. I was 2 weeks away from taking delivery of my 206 GTI 180, when my dealer and I had more than a disagreeement and I cancelled.

Im quite glad I did because the very next day I went and tested the Cup, sh*t off a teflon shovel. FUN FUN FUN

If you want great build quality buy an old** golf, if you want to fun for those 60 miles a day get a Cup.

Dont know much about the other 2 cars to give an opinion that would assist you in your choice, but if you really do get enjoyment out of driving itself, there is not a car that comes near for the price.

BTW build quality in most cars these days has suffered due to cost cutting, you only have to look at the stats when comparing reliabilty these days, all the german manufacturers that where reknowned for engineering excellence are at the bottom of the pile due to there "modern engineering techniques" ( saving money )

The Cupra R was a limited edition version and was considered to be overpriced at the time, with identical stats to the Mk2 172 it was tested against. The standard 156bhp Cupra is not exactly cack, but with a Polo chassis it isnt exactly at the top of the class either.

Clio v6

Dont know what they drive like, but if the Cupra is as well built as my family car. I would add it to my list.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Get a 2nd hand Ibiza Cupra (not the R) and chip it to over 200bhp...

Did I foget to mention that I think you should get a Cup. Loads more driver satisfaction.

Also, despite what people may lead you to believe, theres not really that much difference in accelerative and speed terms between the sort of cars youre talking about. Certainly, the 306 GTi-6 is not out of the Cup/Cupra R ballpark.

Weeman sucks ****

Right, youll probably say go away here but Ill try anyway.

If you have build quality in mind then I reckon you should go for a Lupo GTi. I know theyre not as fast as the other 0-60 in around 8 seconds but they are a superbly built car. And, IMO in this day and age exclusivity is a major factor in motor cars and theres not that many about.

I friend of mine had one, he down graded from an Elise, but I personally liked as much, if not more. Its the quickest GTi VW do and its a cracking car. I had to borrow it while I waited for my cup and it was a real treat. Everyone looked and a few even asked and commented on it.

Obviously, they look a bit different, but I think they look quite mean. And, the petrol tank is tiny, but apart from that a superb car...trust me, try one out.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Thing is with the GTI-6, the figures seem to vary from place to place, even the club sites differ with there figures, Ive seen figures of 6.7 to 60, 7.5 and 8.5 for the GTI-6, if its sub 7 Id be happy seen as you have to switch to 3rd for 60. 8.5 is a little less appealing.

The Cup was top of my list, bangs for buck it cant be beat, but the problems but me off, I travel to Derby from Mansfield everyday for work so obviously I need summit thats gonna be able to do this without me having to take days off cos its at the dealer gettin the 4k problem fixed, dodgy wiring done and other stuff thats common place on the Cup. If I was to buy a Cup, think Id get one with 10k on the clock 2nd hand, then hopefully all the little niggles would be sorted, but then again you gotta ask why someones selling a car so young!

Ibiza sounds best bet, but i dunno much about them!

Go with the Cup if you are thinking about doing any track days.

If you are looking for a daily driver think about whether you can live without the rear wiper, my only gripe thus far...

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I will be doing some track days in the cars for sure, just looked on autotrader and theres some mint low mileage Cupra R for 10k and less. Oh yeah, gotta be standard as well!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jean Ragnotti on 21 November 2003

Go with the Cup if you are thinking about doing any track days.
Why?!

The 306 is a fantastic handling car, one of the best!

build quality is luck of the draw, in every range of car on the market theres friday afternoon cars, you only every hear about bad luck stories.... I have just hit 3000 miles in my new 172, i drive 70 miles a day, so far 100% reliable, not a single thing to moan about, so with that in mind the CUP gives the best bang fer yer bucks and hope for a good un!!

p.s. my mate has a new CLK 500, he says its the worst purchase he has ever made, its always back at the dealer!!!!!!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by Rich Clio16v on 21 November 2003

Ibiza all the way!Be mint if we both get one!
No mate, itll be gay!!!! You go buy your beemer and Ill buy 1 of the 3 above:)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 21 November 2003

the CUP gives the best bang fer yer bucks and hope for a good un!!
Not really...

I just sold a mint 306 Rallye for £6k and it was not far off my Cup in terms of performance, yet a LOT cheaper, so the 306 is actually more car for the money!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ok zedx19 here are the proper stats...

306 GTi-6:

0-60 - 7.2secs
0-100 - 20.1secs
Speed - 135mph
Weight - 1215kg

306 Rallye:

0-60 - 6.9secs
0-100 - 19.2secs
Speed - 137mph
Weight - 1163kg

The Rallye is virtually the same as a mk2 172 performance wise and you can pick a minter up for about £6k but its if you can live without any luxuries at all?!

Here it is >>>

http://www.peugeotperformance.net/gallery/306/richdzidek306rallye/richdzidek306rallye.htmlhttp://www.peugeotperformance.net/gallery/306/richdzidek306rallye/richdzidek306rallye.html

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

RS? You from another country and on about the Cup? Or some other RS like the Focus or summit.

Cheers Rich, them figures sound more appealing. Thing is, I cant live without any luxuries, want similar to what me RTs got now (leccy windows/mirrors, RCL, power steering). Hmmmmmm, guess Im just gonna have to take all 3 for decent test drives :D

now i dont know everything about sccobys

but i think thats a import WRA model ie wrx version5 in three door

is that a roof scoop i c

looks the nuts that car canfordcliffs very lucky to owned such a car

Yeah...the P1 is pretty much based on a car that was around quite a while before it....much cheaper...quicker too due to shorter gearing....boy do I miss it!...Sti V(ersion)6 Type R V-ltd.

Rich-D why a second Cupra but not Cupra R?

Im just wondering as I fancied a Cupra R so im intelligence gathering on them;)

Golf GTI Ed30

Between the Cup and the Cupra R I reckon. Id probably go with the Cupra R myself, though it would be close. Very very tunable too. As for the 306. Great car but in this company it would come last IMHO. I raced a few of them when I had my 106 GTI and always come out on top. Especially to 80mph. That 7.2 to 60 seems a bit optimistic I reckon. The Rallye is a quick though...

In my experience with my pals Ibiza Cupra 195 hp/240lb ft is totally even with a standard Cup on the road 30-1??!!! When I got the R Sport ECU I was eaking away from him! Personally if you have a fare bit of cash and plan to do some serious mods to your next car get the Ibiza, but if your just going to go down the Chip/filter/exhaust route get the Cup its so much more fun. And before im shot down ive driven a Cupra R Ibiza and normal Cupra and a chipped Cupra.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 21 November 2003

Rich-D why a second Cupra but not Cupra R?

Im just wondering as I fancied a Cupra R so im intelligence gathering on them;)
Theyre like rocking horse sh!t (rare) and cost more...

OK just wondering - theres one forsale locally to me and I fancy a test drive but its over priced. I need to wait a few years yet.

How about a Seat Ibiza 130 diesel Import (~11k) or a Skoda Fabia VRs (from a drive the deal time company for about 10k

The engine in the two cars is the same but gearing on the Skoda is lower T 35mph/1000rpm. Power is ~145hp stock and 250lb torque. With a remap though its 180hp along with 300 lb torque. Tey bvoth have 6 speed boxs on them and are better built than Renaults plus have 3 yr warenties unlike the other cars mentioned.

Plus you get 55mpg all the time unlike a petrol which will get lower and doing 60 miles a day the saving will add up.

The Seat Cupra R is comming out soon so should lower the value of Seat 130PD the Cupra model has the 150 engine in it but prices will be about £15k I think

Insurance will be less as well as there about group 7 instead of 14 for petrol cars.

EDD

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 21 November 2003

theres one forsale locally to me and I fancy a test drive but its over priced
Yup... the "R" seems to add waaay too much to the price!