ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a bump - insurance advice

RB 182
Ive slid into a Ford Ranger tonight, all 4 wheels locked in the snow on a hill at about 5mph and ive just had no control. Im not bothered about the damage to my car atm, but his was a 2008 Ford Ranger and its stoved the front bumper in.

Now my excess is £750, but ive since heard that if only he claims i dont have to pay an excess? Also, ive 6 years no claims, unprotected. Will all this be wiped out in one fatal swoop? Im with Tescos

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Not sure mate but extremely unlucky. Goes to show the snow is a fucker no matter how good a driver you are.

RB 182
Not sure mate but extremely unlucky. Goes to show the snow is a f**ker no matter how good a driver you are.

Don't even get me started with unlucky! I was only in the area because i was trying to save myself £5 postage on something i bought on eBay!! :mad::mad:

I even had enough time to put it into reverse and floored it but still slid forwards!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
As far as I know.........(someone will correct me if I am wrong).

If there is n damage to your car, then you won't have anything to repair, so no excess.

If he claims, you'll loose your no claims bonus if it isn't protected, well, kinda. Some insurance companies knck a couple of years off for each 'incident'. It will be in your policy docs.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
my mate had a similar incident last year he spoek to the owner of the car he hit and they agreed not to take it through the insurance and jst paid it in cash so he kept his no claims

Da

Less
I'm sure the standard is you lose 2 years for a claim.

Unlucky though dude, no chance of you paying for the repair??

RB 182
my mate had a similar incident last year he spoek to the owner of the car he hit and they agreed not to take it through the insurance and jst paid it in cash so he kept his no claims

Yea, im a mechanic so ive already mentioned this to him but as its a company vehicle he needs to speak to his boss. Was silver and an XLT so they're not uncommon, just have to try source a bumper

Trophy Turbo :)
You will loose ALL your no claims bonus if NOt protected. and YEARS ago when i crashed i didnt pay excess as i didnt go through my insurance for my car

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
It will be cheaper in the long run to pay for the 2 cars to be fixed! Get you're NCB protected!!!

there is no excess payable for a third party submitting a claim against your policy, excess is on your own repairs.

as gaz says in future protect your ncd, costs a little more but i currently have 9 years protected.

I've not heard of losing just a couple of years no claims, always used to be you'd lose the whole lot. Not worth it. PLUS with every new insurance application / reapplication you have to indicate if you;ve had any accidents over the lat 3 years, putting your insurance up even more.

Just settle without getting insurers involved and pay for the work to be done on his car.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure the standard is you lose 2 years for a claim.

This is the norm

Standard bonus discount is usually maxed out at 5, so most companies will drop any ncb of 5 or more years to 3 if you have 1 fault claim in.

Just got this from my dad who works in insurance btw.

As for paying cash, unless its a small company i doubt they'd be interested :(

i suspect most people like when my 197 was hit would prefer matter put through insurers so no risk of getting bumped by guilty driver.

ph1 black 172
i had my impreza wrx stolen from my house a few years ago. when i claimed they only took 2 years no claims and that was with elephant or admiral (which are the same company anyway)

clio 172 cup
u got your car stolen and because u wanted your money back they took your ncb,isnt that why u pay for it?

ph1 black 172
u got your car stolen and because u wanted your money back they took your ncb,isnt that why u pay for it?

lolol. no i didnt want it stolen. but yes thats why they took the no claims. but if its stolen or damaged i think it is the norm to just remove 2 years of you ncb.