ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

halfords f*ck up........!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
ok, so i bought a new sony headunit to replace my standard one in my ph1 172, decided against fitting it myself and thought id pop down to halfords and get them to do it. boy at the desk was the manager and he said i cant book u in just now but i can have a look at it for you, so we went outside and he had a quick look at it as i had already removed the original one and he then started to connect the new one up and was saying "we usually charge 30 quid for this" and was just going to do it for me for nothing as it was a 2 minute job so he connects it all up but cant get it to clip in due to all the cables behind the h/u, so hes pushing and pulling for ages then eventually gets it in but it wont now come on, no power. so he tries the original h/u again, same thing, no power. checks the fuse box, its fine. hes stumped. says "oh ill have to book u in now but dont worry u wont be paying" so now i have no radio, no display, oh and my red light for the doors being open is also on permanently which i told him too, he said its ok dont worry it will be connected my fitter will sort it out on saturday morning. any ideas as to what the problem could be? looked up on here and somebody has said that there are 2 fuses one which has a wing mirror icon on it and this may have blown? should of known better than to take it to halfords i suppose. at least they are liable for it and the boy that fucked up was the manager, he shouldnt of tried to fit it anyway as he isnt the proper fitter but was just trying to help out and its backfired.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH, its just life that jobs go wrong occasionally, its unrealistic to just expect everything to always work, and it sounds like they are being as fair as possible to sort it.
With it being such a big company, they will stand on the cost if something has fucked up im sure, the only worry is I guess that as you had already removed the original one, how does he actually know you are telling the truth that it worked at all?

Fingers crossed they sort it for you, but it does look like there is a pretty big get out of jail free card for them if they wanted to use it and just tell you that it must be something you did wrong removing the old one.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
it was working, and he had the new one working as well but when he tried to get the h/u into place in the dash properly it then stopped working, so he knew it was all fine.

There's a key on the right hand side of the keyboard - just below the delete key.
It adds a new line after a full stop - also known as a paragraph.

It makes reading things a lot easier.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
There's a key on the right hand side of the keyboard - just below the delete key.
It adds a new line after a full stop - also known as a paragraph.

It makes reading things a lot easier.
im at work mate and i wrote it in a hurry. thanks for your input though.

clio 182 black /gold
It does sound like a fuse which has gone. It should be an easy fix for yourself or them. It will be a blue 15Amp fuse i guess.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
would that cause the warning light for the doors to come on as well?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
guy that did it wasnt a student he was the parts manager.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
fingers crossed will all be sorted on saturday. going to try and blag them to fit my rainbow coaxils in the front at the same time mentioned it yesterday to the manager he said best speak to the fitter on saturday morning.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
99% of halfords staff are students. i wouldnt trust them with a cat

Dont know on the percentage but definately varies a lot.

There is an old boy in his 50s who works part time in the one near me, I would happily trust him with anything on my car, he's just built a nice XE powered nova rally car recently and previously did a RWD cosworth powered focus rs rally car, properly useful guy who just works there part time to fill his day up as he runs a small business that only takes a couple of hours in the morning, but by contrast you also get some clueless 16 year olds etc too.

Good thing is though, if one of the useless ones fecks something up, at least halfords will stand on the bill to put right without you having to take them to court first etc, unlike a lot of places.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Nah mate, me and Jezza are Straiton. Not my side of the shop anyway so I would of laughed!

Exactly right Chip. There's an 18 year old student working in my store and would happily trust him on anything car related. His knowledge (allbeit Jap cars) is second to none, his life is cars. It's about who they are, not where they work.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
hopefully it will all be sorted tomorrow at 9am when im booked in with no issues, driving in to work today with no radio/music was murder. car is standard so cant even listen to induction/exhaust noises to pass the time.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
oh meant to say the buy said the fitter who will be sorting it tomorrow also owns a cliosport so knows the cars inside out. wonder if hes on here?

Halfrauds fitted my dad parrot kit, no problems there but to be honest I don't like the staff in the local Halfrauds they are a waste of flesh and blood and blatantly don't care about your car problems and fixes. There is one older gentleman there who is actually decent the rest seem to be college drop outs with no clue :(

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
oh meant to say the buy said the fitter who will be sorting it tomorrow also owns a cliosport so knows the cars inside out. wonder if hes on here?

I was gonna mention it. Has an RS192 zorst iirc.

1.2 16v clio
i guess they didn't realise at the back of the clio's aftermarket headunits have trouble fitting as the connector blocks have to be pushed out of the way for the headunit to slot in correctly.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
yeah he was pushing and pulling the wires behind the h/u trying to make room for a while he said he used to own a clio and knew they were a ballache to fit.

1.2 16v clio
yeah he was pushing and pulling the wires behind the h/u trying to make room for a while he said he used to own a clio and knew they were a ballache to fit.

well he has made things worse from trying to force the headunit in as god knows what he has done to the wiring

might seem abit over the top but when i fit a headunit in my clio i take off the top of the dashboard so you can atleast put your hand behind the stereo and move the wires rather then pushing and forcing and hoping the wire will find a hole

Lets not turn this into a Halfords ranting thread. Have a search for that thread if you want it.
You can't tar all employees with the same brush. Chip got it spot on in the second post imo.
Sure they'll sort it for you tomorrow, just one of those things.

Clio's are actually piss to fit headunits in once you work out the knack of what to do with the wires. And if you have small hands.
Everyone complains but they're not that bad

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I put as many of the wires as possible underneath, behind the heater panel. That way you have as few wires behind the stereo as you can get, so it goes back easier. That said, mine still sticks out about 1mm.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
why has this thread been dragged out so much!?

halfords fucked up and theyre going to sort it!

/thread

2003 1.2 billabong
i had this when i changed my head unit, i checked the fuses and they were all fine, took it to the audio shop, and it turnt out to actually be a blown fuse in the end

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Happy to report all sorted now. Was a blown fuse think it was the one for the interior lights. The fitter was sound, has a black 182 himself, he also fitted my speakers. All good now. :)

So you slated them for not doing a good job when he did it for free, and now it's done properly as it should have been you're happy?

Perhaps this thread was kinda pointless? I don't like Halfrauds as much as the next guy (most of the time), but in all honesty why not just give them the dollar in the first place and then you'd have no hassle lol.

So much b****cks in here, yeah the guy fucked up a little, turned out to be a fuse and it's fixed, and cost nothing.

End thread as far as I'm concerned.

You get alsorts of staff, trained at different levels, but tarring an entire company because one time you went in a part time lad didn't know an answer is frankly quite stupid.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
So you slated them for not doing a good job when he did it for free, and now it's done properly as it should have been you're happy?

Perhaps this thread was kinda pointless? I don't like Halfrauds as much as the next guy (most of the time), but in all honesty why not just give them the dollar in the first place and then you'd have no hassle lol.

Hold on, I went to get it fitted and pay to do so in the first place. However the guy came out to look at it and proceeded to attempt to fit it himself and fucked up, he even said today that he was shitting himself. He shouldn't of attempted it in the first place. I had to do without a radio for 2 days due to his error, so I was justified to moan about it! Some clowns on this forum!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Hold on, I went to get it fitted and pay to do so in the first place. However the guy came out to look at it and proceeded to attempt to fit it himself and f**ked up, he even said today that he was s**tting himself. He shouldn't of attempted it in the first place. I had to do without a radio for 2 days due to his error, so I was justified to moan about it! Some clowns on this forum!

but you didn't pay did you, if you did pay and this happened then they would of still of resolved the issue, simple mistake. so you went without a radio for 2 days jesus. i'd be grateful you got it done free of charge.

but you didn't pay did you, if you did pay and this happened then they would of still of resolved the issue, simple mistake. so you went without a radio for 2 days jesus. i'd be grateful you got it done free of charge.

exactly. and mistakes are made. it was rectified...no issues. Most of the guys at my local halfords are actually spot on, know what theyre talking about so I don't think you can base you one experience on the WHOLE of halfords.