ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

handbrake not tightening after new pads

Monaco 172
i replaced the read pads on my car on saturday. on thursdya handy B was tightened to about 3 clicks, brilliant so after replacing the pads its not up to about 6 and thats an iffy grip too. the caliper pistones were screwed out as far as possibly so it woulda all fit together again, but still handbrake wont tighten to where it was.

any idea why this is

cheers

LY 182
i replaced the read pads on my car on saturday. on thursdya handy B was tightened to about 3 clicks, brilliant so after replacing the pads its not up to about 6 and thats an iffy grip too. the caliper pistones were screwed out as far as possibly so it woulda all fit together again, but still handbrake wont tighten to where it was.

any idea why this is

cheers
back the handbrake cable right off as far as you can then pump the brake pedel up. if the handbrake levers on the calipers are being held on even slightly the ratchet mechanism cant catch the next tooth and wont ratchet up.

Monaco 172
do you mean slacken it off at the adjuster under the heat shield? will this tighten it up again?

the cables could be stretched ? take the leather/surrounding stuff away where the handbrake is and put the handbrake on normally and check for slack in the cables, if its dont properly they should ne none/very little

BMW M135i
do you mean slacken it off at the adjuster under the heat shield? will this tighten it up again?

No he means to take the handbrake off and pump the brake pedal a bit. When I changed mine I found they won't bite until you've pumped the brakes a few times to wind the adjusters out for the handbrake.

And the handbrake was a little iffy until the pads had seen some use, it got a lot better after a couple of miles ues.

Monaco 172
yeah, i just find it strange that new pads made it looser and the handbrake is poo in comparison to before i changed it

LY 182
loosen the cable off under the heatsheild, pump the break up, then tighten the cable back up to the desired amount of clicks.
if the cable is holding the handbrake lever on the calipers out even slightly the self adjuster ratchet in the calipers cant work

Monaco 172
cheers ill give it a go first thing tomorrow morning no doubt! cause the brake was pumped up as described when the pads were fitting but handbrake was still very loose

LY 182
yeah it happens all the time, it usually starts off with somebody changes pads and has the same problem as you,, to combat it they wind the handbrake cable adjuster up which seems like its sorted it at the time, but wont self adjust as the pads wear and to add insult to injury the next pad change the person attempting it is left scratching there heads as to why the cables on the end of its adjustment and they cant get the handbrake to work

Monaco 172
yea see where your coming from, though cable is only about 3/4 the way down the adjuster screw. but ill give it a blast tomorrow. cause i dont think theres any adjustments on the rear calipers that i can see or is there?

cheers

Last edited:
  Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.0
i had this problem today in work on a 206 i disconnected the handbrake cables at both sides of the calipers started the engine pumped the brake pedal up a good few times hard pushes turned off engine connected up the handbrake cables adjusted the handbrake to its normal state and it worked perfect owner was complaining of handbrake failing on hills scary haha :rasp:

Last edited:
  Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.0
dont no if clio and 206 brakes are simaler but i disconnected the cable at the caliper juped in car pumped pedal and thn adjusted handbrake in car at the actual handbrake not caliper and it worked fine

Monaco 172
cheers guys, i just slackened off the cable there pumped the footbrake and tighteneed the handy b back up again till there was a wee bit of rubbing. its now half the length it was before...fantastic!

LY 182
cheers guys, i just slackened off the cable there pumped the footbrake and tighteneed the handy b back up again till there was a wee bit of rubbing. its now half the length it was before...fantastic!
good, and dont worry it took me about 2 hours pissing about with an xtype the first time i came across it trying to work that one out ;)

Fiesta ST3
so excuse me being thick but what did you do exactly in the end? because i have the same problem and i was planning on adjusting the cable under the heat shield...
which bit did you slacken off?

Last edited:
  Monaco 172
loosen it at the heatshield, like out a good bit. then start it up and pump the footbrake a few times. then back under the car to the heatshield and tighten it up. i tightened it until the wheels were rubbing the pads which is what you do with drums and itll sort itself out there. and that was it. handy b nice n tight

Fiesta ST3
so i just back off the adjuster under the heat shield a little, pump the brakes and then tighten the adjuster until the rears rub ever so slightly?