ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handling issues

Clio 182 cup
My clio over the past month has started misbehaving, it feels wobly at speeds above 50mph and kinda moves sideways when going over potholes or cateyes, it also drifts occasionally towards the kerb. Since this I've changed top mounts, wheels, tires, had tracking done and replaced the rear dampers, where should I look next? It started a week or so after changing the dog bone mount could that cause this?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Have you checked:

Wishbone bushes
Bottom ball joints.
Track rod ends inner and outer
Steering rack bushes
Play in the steering column

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Check all of the above.
Did you upgrade the dog bone to a black series bush or purple? Sometimes upgrading in one area can expose worn or weak bushes in other areas.

Clio 182 cup
Have you checked:

Wishbone bushes
Bottom ball joints.
Track rod ends inner and outer
Steering rack bushes
Play in the steering column

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
I've checked them visually and seen nothing alarming, it does clunk occasionally on the drivers side front. But the bushes all look OK when had it on a ramp earlier

Clio 182 cup
Check all of the above.
Did you upgrade the dog bone to a black series bush or purple? Sometimes upgrading in one area can expose worn or weak bushes in other areas.
I upgraded to the purple, oh I see could a worn engine mount cause steering issues

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
You say the bushed etc all look OK but if they are the originals they most likely aren't and adding more resistance at one point will enhance the weakness in another. I'd start collecting parts for a full suspension refresh.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
I think I’d focus my attention on the list eddie555 posted rather than engine mounts but it’s good practice to check the lot.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Also, LOOKING at bushes won’t tell you much about there condition. If you have use of a ramp you need to get hands and pry bars against these areas to see movement.

Clio 182 cup
You say the bushed etc all look OK but if they are the originals they most likely aren't and adding more resistance at one point will enhance the weakness in another. I'd start collecting parts for a full suspension refresh.
Haha great more expense, I'll start pricing them all up now. it was handling perfectly before I put it on wish I hadn't bothered now

Clio 182 cup
Also, LOOKING at bushes won’t tell you much about there condition. If you have use of a ramp you need to get hands and pry bars against these areas to see movement.
Thank you for the advise I'll pop back to my partners dad's on Monday and have a proper go at them

AE3E9C0D-2B78-4524-9D41-54A04F7B318C.jpeg

A52FD8A3-5BF5-42DD-92D2-A604E454077C.jpeg

701DE375-8864-4E52-9D78-422212D21165.jpeg

Clio 182 cup
I've had a look could the anti roll bars be the culprit as the inner rubbers look quiet cracked

Clio 182 cup
Well in any case it sounds like they need changing. Have you grasped the wheels and checked for any movement in any direction?
Yeah no movement at all, the only other thing I can think is when I had the top mounts done the garage snapped a spring because the nut was seized so they replaced the spring for free could it be the one spring is old and one is new

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah no movement at all, the only other thing I can think is when I had the top mounts done the garage snapped a spring because the nut was seized so they replaced the spring for free could it be the one spring is old and one is new
Me personally, I’d never replace one spring without doing the other but I’m unsure if there would be any major effects from what they have done.
Do the arb bushes, eliminate them as they need doing anyway. Test the car and look to the next area if needed.

Clio 182 cup
Me personally, I’d never replace one spring without doing the other but I’m unsure if there would be any major effects from what they have done.
Do the arb bushes, eliminate them as they need doing anyway. Test the car and look to the next area if needed.
Just a quick one my mate just said could the garage gave put the wrong spring on the car as mine is cup packed, would putting a normal 182 spring on make a difference?

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quick one my mate just said could the garage gave put the wrong spring on the car as mine is cup packed, would putting a normal 182 spring on make a difference?
I imagine it would make a difference as there are differences in spring rate between the two. There should be coloured markings on the springs, check that they match.

Clio 182 cup
There's a good chance they have put the wrong spring on. Ask if they have the part number for what they fitted. Iirc cup springs are quite expensive from renault now @renaultpartsdirect ?
I'm fitting some lowering springs today so they all match hoping this cures the problem we noticed it looks slightly wonky the drivers side being slightly higher which I'm sure can't be good for handling haha

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Longer spring on drivers front = pikey corner weighging🤣🤣. At least when you've got your new set on that'll be one thing to cross off the list 👍.