ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

harnesses and the law

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hi, im wondering what the law is with harnesses on the road. i was told about a year back from someone who thot he knew it all that the police could do you for not wearing a seatbelt if you were only using harnesses and not using the factory fitted seat belt i didnt beleive this but just thought id check before i get them to make sure.

cheers

BMW E46 330i Touring
Not sure, I think the original seatbelt has to be in the car to pass an MOT... dunno about actually using them on the road.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i would have thought harness were ok, if they are bolted in ok, and pass the mot with them. i would remove the standard seatbelts though.

80MPG BEEZA
i just had harnesses in mine and had no problems aslong as the harnessess are bolted into the right places and not bodged in

340i
IIRC the only rule is you must have a working and correctly installed means of securing yourself, weather it be seatbelt or harness.

Banana
Harnesses are perfectly legal to use on the road. I've been stopped about 4-5 times for not wearing a belt and sent on my way when they see the harnesses. Seatbelts must be fitted for the MOT though. You can remove the belts in the back if you remove the seats though.

I've had buckets and harnesses in, back seats out, along with all the seatbelts, went through 3 mot's fine, no problems at all

BMW 320d SE
^ Yeah you don't have to re-fit your seatbelts for an MOT if you have harnesses - think of all the Caterham/Westfield owners out there that would be stuffed if that was the case!