ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone ever carbon wrapped wheels?

Stripped yozza'd cup
This may be a ridiculous idea.... But Carbon rims look incredible.

Would it be possible to wrap the 'rim' part of the wheel, leaving the spokes bare? I'm not sure how you'd go about it without having a bare carbon edge on the outside of the rim, as im guessing you couldnt wrap it round the lip as it would ruin the airseal.....

Any ideas?

The best thing about CS, if you're being a fool, you're sure to be told. lol.

Just to clarify: I mean proper carbon fibre, not that 3M vinyl stuff. And my wheels are OZ ultraleggeras, just for reference.

Last edited:
wouldn't it look a bit sh*t having the viewable difference in the layers on your wheel? aka seeing that the cf is raised? and also how exactly would you decide how far to go upto/on the spokes? can't quite picture it!

Stripped yozza'd cup
like so....

Unfortunately, these are £2500 each

54dc6717.jpg

Stripped yozza'd cup
Look nice, but I've had a go at carbon skinning and I would find it impossible for me to do!

I'm sure it would be very difficult and no doubt expensive.... There's a couple of people on here that are very good at carbon skinning, I'm hoping that one of them may be able to have a stab at this!

LY200
Like addicted said.. It would be hard to make the carbon not look out of place on the rim as it would be raised around 1mm because you've got the epoxy resin, then the carbon, then 4 coats of clear epoxy resin and then 2 coats of lacquer. It's gong to be a difficult one. But well worth it if it gets done nicely!

Stripped yozza'd cup
I wonder if it would be airtight if the carbon wrap went around the whole of the outer (like the picture)?

It would look incredible, but i'd be running the risk of ruining my new ultraleg's if it went wrong.....

DCi 100
Depends how you do it really.

But either way it'll look shat unless you did the whole wheel from carbon. Which like you posted about the other wheel is ludacris in terms of cost. Those will more than likely be 100% carbon rims with painted spokes tbh.

Stripped yozza'd cup
They're carbon Fibre outers and the spokes are Magnesium.

So you think it would be too difficult for it to be viable? I don't really know very much about carbon skinning to be honest....

Wouldnt be interested myself in having carbon "covered" alloys because the look defeats the actual object of being light... you would be adding weight for look,

The fully carbon built wheels are obviously rediculously light and therefore have a purpous but it would be plain obvious to have near bog standard wheels with a carbon weave i think...

But just thought id heads up anyone who did actaully want to look into this, i was offered a alloy refubishment, where after they would dip the alloy in a machine and it could layerprint nearly anything i wanted on an alloy... most looked dog s**t, but there was one carbon print with a dull lacquer that looked very believable, however it was on a non sport clio alloy so looked kack!

e.g. bottom left but the dull lacquer gave it a realistic look.

multiwheelcut%20copy.jpg

Its still pointless on most alloys though imo

Stripped yozza'd cup
They're OZ ultraleggera's so not exactly a 'bog standard' rim.... But I completely see what you're saying, it would look shocking on a crappy wheel.... I was hoping that maybe my wheels would be good enough to pull it off.

Fair comment about the weight thing too, I normally hate 'fake' carbon fibre, but in this case, the real items are just too expensive to consider.

The trouble with the printed carbon effect is the way it bends around the contours....

Stripped yozza'd cup
Prepare to drool:
http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/2010/11/23/a-personal-favorite-dry-carbon-protec-wheel/

These are dry carbon covered wheels, so it's real carbon and seems to increase the rigidity of the spokes adding almost no weight. It's VERY costly, a set, if you can find one, would probably costo more than a brand new Clio RS...

WOW.

At least it shows it's possible! It does mention that carbon layering on wheel faces can be done.... It seems like it might be slightly out of my practical price range though :(