ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight Correction, without the drill

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, My front headlights are starting to cloud up, they arent too bad, but they do let the car down. I've tried to bring them back with some Polish I had around the place (Auto Finesse) but thats not made much difference. I heard good things about the 3m Kit, but it requires a drill. Im not sure what RPM my drill is, and Im a little scared to use such an aggressive approach as my lights are no where near as bad as the youtube video's make out?

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Headli...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item2a2ce0b04d

Are there any "by hand" options which offer the same results?

Thanks

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Cant you just buy the same grade paper as the kit and do it by hand, prob cheaper but hard work..

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
I used that kit with a £10 Homebase mains only drill and it was fine. Only used the kit for the 3000 grit pad and polishing though. Used 500 grit paper and 1500 then 2500 wet and dry with plenty of water and found that easier and quicker. 1 hour to recover both from a state that would have been an MOT Fail.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Higher the grit the less abrasive. Start with a low number and work up. Need less time with the rougher as it cuts quicker, so i just wipped it over with the 500 really. then did more as i stepped up each grade. Would recomend the kit though, just the rougher stuff scared me on the drill as if you stop on one bit too long you burn and gouge it a bit.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Higher the grit the less abrasive. Start with a low number and work up. Need less time with the rougher as it cuts quicker, so i just wipped it over with the 500 really. then did more as i stepped up each grade. Would recomend the kit though, just the rougher stuff scared me on the drill as if you stop on one bit too long you burn and gouge it a bit.

Thats what Im worried about, mine arent too bad, might skip the first stage of it

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I fucked up with the drill and am currently working my way repairing it by hand lol... to be it looks great now. I spent about a fiver on eBay on different grades from 1000-2500 and spent one hour on one light. Oh and plenty of Scratch-X!

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Wet'n'dry, 1800, 2000, 2500 grit. I went to 3000 grit too.

Then polish either by hand or by polisher with Megs Scratch X.

Done.

Can't argue with this. As I say I did my second one with 500 lightly then 1500 followed by 2500 wet and dry by hand, then finish with 3000 and polish using drill as I don't have a polisher.

The drill or anything coarser than 3000 is so easy to get wrong!

N

Nathanwilliams772

I'm doing mine but mine is all by hand and I've got 1500 and 2500 wet and dry then gunna put loads of megs scratch X on it to bring it up again. Hopefully it all works out otherwise an expensive mistake

I do love some of these replies. 3000 if desired... 500 grade up... Utterly hilarious.

If a job's worth doing...

500 is far too coarse. But people use it as they see results more quickly.

3000 and 4000 should be used to remove the marks imparted by 2000 grit.

People expect immediate results, hence the "botch job" 3M kit sells so well.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
done mine by hand 1500 wet and dry (wet with water) then used g3 look spot on didnt take much work.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
500 is far too coarse. But people use it as they see results more quickly.

3000 and 4000 should be used to remove the marks imparted by 2000 grit.

People expect immediate results, hence the "botch job" 3M kit sells so well.

So what should I start with? 2000, work upto 3000, then 4000, then Polish with Scratch x?

Dynamique 1.2 16v
I did 1200-1500-2000 then used scratch x and super polish resin. Allot of elbow grease and water ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371332975.356869.jpg

Clio
I bought the 3m kit but my drill packed in so just used the 3m stuff and did it by hand. My headlights were horrendous and they came up pretty well!

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Cheers, so you work UP the grades not down?

Yeah so go from 1200 up to 2000 :) use a lot of water, and make sure to rinse the headlight off every so often because of the gunk that comes off it, makes it easier to see where you need to focus more on and work more on :) PM me if you need to mate will be glad to help you

FF Racing Blue 182
How many packs of each grade will i need to buy and do i just dunk the paper into water every so often