ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport 182
ive searched about loads of problems with the heater matrix. where abouts is it located? i started another thread about about my windscreen steaming up on hot fans and its possible mine might be leaking. i have read its a pig of a job to do but just wanting to know its location.

im going to keep an eye on my coolant level to see if this drops but its only happening every now and again, mainly coming on/off roundabouts fast :) but when it steams up its extremely bad to where i cant see a thing!

i also have opened up the panel where the pollen filter goes and there is a puddle in there. what is the min radiator in there? i assume the air con? outside of this box is bone dry but in there is quite a lot in there so what can cause this puddle to form in there?

any help please as it absolutely stinks when it happens and is dangerous as its so thick its not possible to even see taillights through it!

thanks

172 Ph1
First things first , are you using the air con ?
This will help in clearing the screen .

2nd : there is a possibility that it could be the water that is generated from the air con and is not draining from the box . Reason I say this is because you say it stinks [emoji40], stagnant water from the a/c does stink if it's not draining.
Mix that with warm air and you've got your issue .

Also it could be that the coolant is also poss leaking from the matrix and again causing your issue.

182cup & 172 racecar
I would suggest you check your scuttle water drains first, before you do anything else, there is one each side of the car, and one in the middle.
The middle one is more than likely blocked, then this will allow water to get in through the air box and into the heater.

Remove the sound proofing at the back of the engine bay, and you will see a tube running down, pull this off and see if it's blocked.

The heater matrix on these cars are very rarely any trouble.

182cup & 172 racecar
On another note, does your "recycle air" button work, is it set on closed or open?

Test this by turning the fan on full, press the button, you should hear a change in note as the flap closes, and then again when it opens.

Clio Sport 182
Ok thanks for your help guys.
The scuttles are free and clean and its bone dry in where the scuttle pipes sit, the only water is under the pollen filter in that sealed box. This was my first idea as its such a common thing. Also my footwells are dry which also helps me to believe its not these that are my cause?
Putting the a/c on to clear it does work but that's only after the steam stops pouring out of the vents :( its not like normal condensation I'm getting it will be clear glass to thick condensation within seconds.

Where and how could the water get into the pollen filter box? It doesn't seem to drain from here and I'm guessing this is the steam I'm getting. That mini radiator look alike the filter sits next to is the air con one I assume? If this leaks wouldn't it evaporate and leave a green stain? It was only gassed 5 months ago and definitely has green dye in it.
Two days in and I've run the heating for as much as I can and don't appear to be losing coolant so ill rule the matrix out for now.

Any ideas? I'm stumped from the water in the box as I've looked as best I can and it does seem watertight from the top

Clio Sport 182
And tony regarding the recirc button ill give that a try after work, as far as I'm aware it does work as when pushed the fans gain extra power, if that's the best way to describe it. Its not something I have on though.

PH2 172
Where and how could the water get into the pollen filter box?
Any ideas? I'm stumped from the water in the box as I've looked as best I can and it does seem watertight from the top
Rain water running down the windscreen past the seal at the top of the scuttle panels?
Refit the panels using some silicon to seal them.

Clio Sport 182
Rain water running down the windscreen past the seal at the top of the scuttle panels?
Refit the panels using some silicon to seal them.
That's what I've been thinking but it doesn't look like water could get into the box as it seems sealed at the top but I've already got the silicone and going to give it a go anyway.

Clio Sport 182
Can you get a video up , this is entreiging so to speak.
Renault's love a little water loss and water entry lol .
Yeah I can see how well they like water haha but it's one of those situations that come out of no where and catch you out by surprise so I doubt I'll catch it in time but may be able to get a pic of it steamed up.

Clio Sport 182
Quick update after a lot of playing around. Started playing up again and been caught out a few times and today it was quite a bad one but recently it's just been about 30% covered in condensation. All again coming off roundabouts at a little speed (motorways) compared to your normal roundabouts in town where it doesn't seem to happen. Still can't find a leak either which is annoying! I got a picture finally too! I took it fast and don't know how to downscale the size as it's 23mp and won't let me upload on here so here's a link.
This is with air con on and heat on full after about 15 seconds https://postimg.org/image/iy60zp7l5/