ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport 182
Hi guys,

Another problem again lol, well ive had it since day one but just not realised it I assume.

Its a problem I've had with my coolant and overheating of the car in still traffic on hot days. The needle on my dash starts off normal and slowly rises to normal temp as the car warms up, but the needle has never gone past that even with the water boiling over. The thing is I never knew about it until I saw steam coming from the bonnet and I replaced it with antifreeze and water as I wasn't sure if the previous owner just used water but this didn't solve the problem as it was still over heating.. I plugged it into diagnostics and left the car running one day and I could see the temp rising degree by degree until it got to 95 and turned the engine off, but again the needle still was bang in the centre, the fan never kicked in. I then resulted to unplugging the rad fan and doing the little trick with a bit of wire and having it running constantly which seems to have stopped it boiling over. I've ordered a new temp sensor which is coming next week but I don't think this will solve it as it shows correct temp on the diagnostics as I mentioned before but does anyone know how to fix the needle problem as this seems to link to the fan not coming on automatically once it gets a little too warm?
any help or ideas please guys?

thanks

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I could be wrong but it could be that the water pump has broken and isnt circulating the coolant.

Clio Sport 182
that was what I was hoping not to hear :( is there anyway to test this or is it the replace it and see job?

Clio Sport 182
yes the fans come out hot, I also have the air con problem with the broken cog so I always get cooked, that's why I sort of ruled out the water pump as the heating will kick out hot air for hours? and I've held all of the hoses I could get to and they all felt hot which was another reason why I didn't think water pump

Clio Sport 182
and also the thermostat shows the right temperature on diagnostic readers, but the needle wont move past halfway on my dash so I assume its something other than the thermostat?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
the temp needle sits in the middle, doesn't fluctuate?

I say you have an air lock maybe or the sensor needs swapping

Clio Sport 182
it starts off at the bottom (cold) and as the car warms up the needle slowly rises to the middle (normal operating temp) but will not rise above this mo matter how hot the engine/coolant get, and goes down normally as the engine is turned off and cools.
It just doesn't seem to want to show hotter than the normal operating temp if that makes sense?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It does mate. I would do a coolant flush with proper antifreeze, the Renault stuff is what I use, cheap enough too.

Clio Sport 182
ok ill give it a go and see, so how comes the coolant temp digitally shows the right temp when plugged in, but the needle wont? I would have thought they was linked?

Clio Sport 182
ok Is there any way to fix this idiot gauge or whats causing it because I have no idea its going to overheat until I get steam from my bonnet? or is this just another typicial Renault thing I just have to live with?