ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help 182 no Brake Pressure

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Changed front Discs and pads this weekend on my 182 and while the calipers were off thought I'd touch the paintwork up. Covered the ends of the brake line to try and minimise fluid loss. Still had a nice pool of brake fluid. Any way put everything back together ready to bleed the brakes but can't get the brake peddle to go hard no matter how many times I pump the peddle, seems as if there is no pressure in the system. Checked and topped the resevoir up so had plenty of brake fluid before I started. When the nipple is losened nothing happens when connected to bleed kit but when you just open the nipple fluid comes out no problem so it's not blocked.

Any ideas or is this a job for renault

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Did you bleed the entire system or just the fronts? You need to bleed the whole lot.

Are all the joints done up tight? Squishy pedal could be down to a leak in the system.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
tried that drivers front seemed to work a treat, then the passenger front is where things just aren't going to plan. thinking of getting a vacuum pump bleed kit so can suck the air and fluid out rather than the good old fashioned way of pumping the brakes as the peddle just is not getting stiff.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
There was still fluid in the resevoir so as far as I'm aware it wasn't drained completely as the fluid still came out of the brakes lines when I removed the covers I put on to minimise fluid loss.

Only did the front two drivers side worked well even though peddle wouldn't stiffen passenger side things just went down hill so didn't bother with rear. The front was the onl part of the system to be losened removed and all appears tight

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Bleed the whole lot. Start from passenger rear, then passenger driver's side, then front passenger side, then driver's side front. In that order.

Sounds to me like you have a leak.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Gonna give it another go tomorrow from the rear first if that doesn't work will get a vacuum bleed kit and then if all else fails as much as I hate to....... give renault a shout the rip off merchants.
For something so simple it's becoming a nightmare.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Check for leaks first. A vacuum bleeder will just make it easier, it won't be any more effective than the old 'down-hold-up' malarkey.

Did you bleed the brakes then start the car, to get the servo running? I only ask because the pedal will feel different once the engine is running.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Done that to check the servo bit push the brake - start engine - brake peddle moves easier, problem is feels as though there is nothing there when the engine is running. Will give it a go in the morning starting from the rear as most on here say and not the way Haynes manual says.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I was always taught to start from the caliper furthest away from the servo and get closer.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Thats the plan tomorrow was just thrown as normally after five or six pumps of the brake it goes stiff - well this one isn't which makes me think there could be a leak somewhere - will do the spit test around the bits that have been taken off if I get no joy from starting at the back first.
Will have this all to do again once my new brake lines turn up - just wanted to make sure this was working after putting the brake calipers back together since changing the front discs.

Also just realised been spelling pedal wrong - oops

Last edited:

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Similar feeling although dare not take it on the road as it won't stop. Changing brake lines tomorrow for nice braided orange ones (It's a colour scheme thing) I know you won't see the rear ones however when changing the front the rear need changing as well otherwise tey may become the weak point. Then will start at the rear passenger side as per forum recommendations and start to re-bleed again.
Otherwise might have to get renault to collect it and purge/flush the system and probably charge me for some unrelated item they had to change in the process.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Bleed the whole system as said many times up, but follow the next order

Rear Right
Front Left
Rear Left
Front Right

That is the order as specified by Renault that someone pasted somewhere in the forum. That is the Renault order.

Do it with your swith/car off, you will need help, open the bleeder just a bit, have someone pump the pedal until you get a steady flow coming out then leave the pedal pushed down, tighten the bleeder, release the pedal move to the next and do it again

You will feel by the end the pedal is rock solid but doesn't car, you don't need much travel for bleeding the system. You can also get a hose to recover the bleeded fluid, just in case you want to save some, other wise, just do it.

Cheers

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
^^ that may be the only option - but will try anything first

"Bleed the whole system as said many times up, but follow the next order

Rear Right
Front Left
Rear Left
Front Right"

Different order always worth a try I know the brakes work in opposit pairs ie front right rear left so hopefully weather tomorrow will be ok as not much room in garage to move about with.

Last edited:
  PH1 172
I have been told to start with the brake that's furthest from the brake fluid bottle so when I did my brakes last I did

Rear Drivers side
Rear Passenger side
Front Passenger Side
Front Drivers side

as the bottle is on the driver's side and this worked a treat...

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
hopefully it's just air trapped in one of the rear brake pipes thats stopping me getting any pressure, bought one of those bleeding kits that blows the brake fluid through from a pressurised bottle attached to the resevoir thats pressurised from your tyre.

Out of interest any one know how much Renault charge to sort the brakes out when they plug in the CLIP gadget?

They'll probably have to collect it thought............ got no brakes.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
I had mine done by Renault the other day. SimilAr problem.
They flushed through with new fluid and bled using clip system to
Open abs valves. Cost £80 all in but pedal still doesn't feel that solid.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T

At least got a rough price, with mine there just is no pressure and no braking even at slow speed edging it back in the garage got to chock it so it doesn't roll in to the wall or on to the road when take it out to work on it.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Just had someone sugguest a gravity bleed open the bleed screws top up the resevoir and leave it to drain through for 20 minutes recheck resevoir top up then tighten up screws again this should enable you to get pressure back in the system........ anyone tried or heard similar?

That does kind of work but a pressure bleeder (eg Gunsons Eazibleed) is the easiest and best to use. To properly bleed through the ABS unit I think pressure is required. The footdown two man method isn't as good IMO, it can also wear the M/C seals out.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
That does kind of work but a pressure bleeder (eg Gunsons Eazibleed) is the easiest and best to use. To properly bleed through the ABS unit I think pressure is required. The footdown two man method isn't as good IMO, it can also wear the M/C seals out.

Hopefully it will have stopped raining tomorrow so I can get the car out change the brake lines and then try the pressure bleed, (using Sealey Automatic Brake & Clutch Bleeder - £11 from Car and Karting in Cramlington for those in the area much cheaper than Halfords) fingers crossed.
Luckily don't need the car in a hurry.

Last edited:
  Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Bleeding brakes is best done with help. its a tricky job to do properly on your own. Remember, the brakes are your only means of stopping the car so make sure its done properly.

Renaultsport Clio 172
I have been told to start with the brake that's furthest from the brake fluid bottle so when I did my brakes last I did

Rear Drivers side
Rear Passenger side
Front Passenger Side
Front Drivers side

as the bottle is on the driver's side and this worked a treat...

That is if the system is set up in simple and straight forward manner, ABS systems work in tandem, which make the wheel you think is furhter away isn't.

The order I posted is Renaults order taken from dialogys

I paid a similar amount at Renault too iirc.

And when I got it back, it still felt odd, but then so did my 182. All sports I have driven have had similar feelings on the peddle.

Renaultsport Clio 172
hopefully it's just air trapped in one of the rear brake pipes thats stopping me getting any pressure, bought one of those bleeding kits that blows the brake fluid through from a pressurised bottle attached to the resevoir thats pressurised from your tyre.

Out of interest any one know how much Renault charge to sort the brakes out when they plug in the CLIP gadget?

They'll probably have to collect it thought............ got no brakes.

Clip is just a tool that allows to connect to all modules in the car, I am positive it won't bleed the brakes unless is an android;)

And believe, you just need to bleed them, I did this on the weekend, I was a bit scared as thought I had messed the bakes but I did not, it will take you 00.05 hours, very easy, just have someone to help you with the brake pedal

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Yeah the clip tool just opens the ABS valves while the mechanic bleeds the system manually.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Changed the brakes lines and bleed them again today, feels firmer than they did the other day until the engine starts then they go very slack. You have to push your foot through the floor to stop at slow speed, wouldn't dare take it out on the open road at the minute. Brother in law coming over tomorrow so he can give me a hand using the old pedal pumping method. Fingers crossed otherwise Renault here I comes grovel grovel...

Da

Less
Steve, did you manage to sort this in the end? Intrigued as I plan on changing my lines soon...

Clio 182 cup
What was the outcome? How did you sort the problem?
Just done my brake fluid today with the gunson ezzibleed thingy....
and spongy pedal then drops to the floor when engine is running.
Think i let to much old fluid out bfore topping up..oops.!
Still got some brakes if i push my foot through the floor.
Going to take my life in my hands and crawl to dealer in the morning.

Clio & Audi A3
Check the brake Servo, On my A3 my brakes wernt right, and the Seal on the Servo holding the the vacum pipe in was split and air was leaking from there bud try having a look at that?

Clio 182 cup
I know the thread was old but was only one that had my exact symptoms.
Thanks for the info Fastchip and Tommy, But my friendly local dealer plugged it into his puter
fired the ABS and got the air out.
Cost £0 which is nice.

Pedal now feels like it did before... softish for that first inch or so then bites.
Will see how Green stuff, brembo HCs and ATE super blue work when bedded-in.