ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Clio 182 Aux belt

Clio 182
Hi I'm just re-building the car up from replacing the dephaser and timing belt etc, whilst doing this obviously I'm replacing the aux belt and tensioner but I'm a little stuck trying to get the aux belt back on. I understand that the tensioner needs to be fully off tension but do I need to put the top torx bolt back in to put the belt on or do I do it by put a pully on last.

Any tips or advise would be much appreciated as I just can't get the belt back on.

Clio 182
Hi thanks for that I have been using a 3/8 small extention bar and then conneting it to my cracker bar and I can get leverage but it still won't go on

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
3/8 extension should work so long as you can get the tensioner fully released.

Fred's tip about moving the alternator sounds worth a try although never needed to do it that way personally.

I use a jubilee clip on them, ive got one I keep to one side shaped specifically to suit and it makes the job a doddle as it leaves both hands fully free and no bars in your way etc, I agree with Fred that its a "ghetto" way to do it, but for me personally I find its the simplest method.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hi thanks for your advise with regards the jubilee clip technique how does that work

Sorry mate, only just seen your reply, hopefully im not too late.

Basically you just squash a jubilee to fit around the tensioner and then do the jubilee up to compress it.

(100mm jubilee IIRC but can check at the weekend if its still useful to you)

impreza wagon S2000
bttt for this thread...I'm stuck and have about enough; compressed the tensioner with a 90-120mm jubaliee but can't get belt on the altanator pulley despite undoing the top alternator fitting and loosening the 16mm as suggested by Fred.

Am I being an impatient fecker or can I set light to it in a justified fit of rage?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No idea why you are having a problem if you have properly compressed the tensioner and have routed the belt correctly and its sat cleanly on the pulleys.

Would need to see it to advise you what you have got wrong, it should be pretty straightforward so you have done wrong somewhere.

impreza wagon S2000
I think the jubilee could be too large...Ive checked everything else. I'll try ans source an alternative and have another go at it...cheers Chip :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You also need to make sure that the adjuster bit of the clip doesnt get in the way of the belt, as if you put it at the wrong point it will stop the belt sliding on.

impreza wagon S2000
yeah, I had it facing the front of the car...which size do people use normally Chip, if the 90-120 is too large the next size down is 70-90...does that sound right?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Think mine is about 100mm or so, I have a clip I keep to one side as its bent to fit, but im working away from home till the weekend so cant read the size off it.

impreza wagon S2000
no worries, will just buy the smaller size and see if that does the trick...thanks again.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Buy a 120mm one with the adjuster all the way along the clip and you cant go wrong then :) and you can always trim the excess off.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
is the belt genuine? what size does it have printed on it? If it's non genuine you need it to be a little longer (6pk1663) Genuine should be a 6pk1661 although sometimes they turn up as a 1660. Tiny differences, but non genuine belts are usually thicker, and this has the effect of making the inside length shorter

impreza wagon S2000
thanks chaps...the smaller jubilee did work it was still tight though.

Danny its a GSF part, matched the serials and size to the old belt...I'd imagine it would have been a little easier with a slightly longer belt.

Clio 182 cup
Hi gents im sorry for bringing up an old thread but planning on doing my aux belt tomorow as im replacing the steering pump. Does the aux belt tension its elf when one? Or do you have to adjust it your self

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hi gents im sorry for bringing up an old thread but planning on doing my aux belt tomorow as im replacing the steering pump. Does the aux belt tension its elf when one? Or do you have to adjust it your self

Its self tensioning and nothing you can adjust or set, but when they get old they start to jam and not tension properly anymore.