ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me buy the right Bilsteins.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Hi chaps,
My front dampers and absolutely shot so now is the perfect time to upgrade. Fernandez at Cazan has given me a price for Bilstein B6 and B8s, the B8s being shorter dampers for lowering springs. My problem is, when i come to sell the car many buyers frown upon lowered cars so i'll have to switch back to standard springs. The Bilstein website says the longer B6s are only suitable for upto 30mm springs and i was planning on using H&Rs (45mm).

On the flip side if i go for the short B8s, when i put the stock springs back on am i correct in thinking they will have loads of preload and ruin the ride.

Has anyone used 45mm springs on standard or B6 dampers? Any issues?
It's a mk3 ph2 1.2 by the way

What would you do? I want to get these ordered asap.

Cheers
Dom.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Quite a few folks are running or have run 40mm springs on standard shocks. That's about as far as they can take.

Bilsteins are mega money for what is essentially a 1.2.
I'm running AP coilovers on my DCI but then it's used on track, running 17's and isn't slammed.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I know i know, hold the renault sport comments. I still have over a year left on the finance so the 1.2 is staying. Regards to bilstein costs, oe dampers are only £40 less a pair and with snakes pass in my weekly commute, i will be able to appreciate the handling, despite not going anywhere very quickly haha. I'd like to have a go on a track too, again i won't be quick but i'll be smiling.
Cheers JP83, it's a tough one. I'm considering going B6 (short) then offering them up to swap for OE when the time comes. If i could get away with the longer B8s that would be great but I've read on their site that above 30mm the springs can pop out. I guess i would have the same issue with OE dampers?

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Also not looking to slam it so would be open to other spring suggestions. I only want to reduce arch gap and improve handling. Not bothered about a 'lows' ride height, it's just an inconvenience.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I can't comment personally on the spring situation but if you search the projects section there's a fair few mk3's who have used 40mm lowering springs on their standard shocks.