ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

**HELP ME OUT!!!*** WTF IS GOIN ON*******

320d M Sport

right then, put £30 of optimax in, straight away car feels REALLY bad, chugging very badly, like its dying on its arse, whats more confusing is it souns well loud and very chuggy?! its hardly even driveable.

WTF IS WRONG WITH IT?!?!?!!! Could it be the cat? im sure i smelt Sulphur too? Plus i cant be sure but i thought i saw the engine warning light flash for a second?!

Anyone know, im counting on Ben to sort me out, otherwise ill have to go reno tomorrow.

:(

paddy i dont know why your using that optimax, when i used it in mine (only twice) it ran like a bag of s**t wouldnt even tick over properly very lumpy not what it should be like, since then ive never used it again, i only use (BP) super unleaded and the car runs brilliant.

Paul

Revels Mum & Sister

Try and Syphon the petrol out mate!

And replace it with some Super UNleaded. Wouldnt bother with Optimax! As Paul172 said!!!

See how that goes. If not send the badboy to Renault!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Do an ECU reset ASAP and see if it clears out...

If not, then it can only be bad fuel as it was fine before you put it in!

Have run my last 3 cars on Optimax and never had a problem.

Without sounding too much like a broken record it does sound like bad fuel. Ive ran my 172 on Optimax ever since Ive got it and had no problems, same goes for my mates 172 and my bros Evo. In terms of whether Optimax is any good didnt anyone read the test in Evo about a year ago (I think!?) they couldnt believe the difference, they ran all of their "long term" cars on other types of petrol for a month, did a load of performance tests and then ran them on Optimax for a month and repeated the tests. The results were v impressive, cant remember the exact figures but a CTR was 2 seconds faster to 100 on Optimax. Admittedly they did say it had been on Supermarket fuel before, having said that all of the cars saw significant improvements and most noticeable were the in gear times, shame that they didnt repeat the test for any other types of fuel but Optimax obviously does the trick.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Would people really bother driving out of thier way to stick Optimax in? even if you were wasting petrol just to get there and back?

Im very fortunate to have a good BP at the bottom of the hill!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

complain to the garage, had a m8 that had a similar prob with his scooby and he complained and got 30 quids worht of vouchers to spend on fuel

he didnt spend em as he was worried a call to headoffice got him a full refund and he kept the vouchers which he spent on food and air freshners :D

take the fuel out and fill up again, see if it does the trick, but shouldnt see why such a minute change would make any diff.

got me boggled

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

What about the fuel pump......

I only say this as mine died on the freelander today and it sounds pretty much the same !!!

PS. the 172 does have a fuel pump right ??? as i dont have a haynes manual, not because im a girl, but because haynes dont make one :oops:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 26 September 2003

according to a mechanic in work its misfiring, ie maybe spark plug or coil or summat?
You tried an ECU reset yet to see if it clears it out?!

320d M Sport

reno have it now, ecu reset didnt work.

i was thinking one of these:

sh*t fuel

fuel filter blocked

spark plug / coil fecked

something really bad?

god knows, anyone else had this, if it was an old banger id kinda expect it but its only done 19,000 miles.....

I had exaxtly the same problem but with bp petrol, i thought it was the petrol but changed the ht leads and it was fine after that. if you have a bad ht lead it will not spark properly causing it to misfire.........P.S DONT BUY HALFORDS HT LEADS, I HAVE HEARD VERY BAD REPORTS ON THEM

Revels Mum & Sister

When the My rocker cover gasket was leaking and pissed oil intot he PLug wells! She was missing and firing on 2 cylinders!!!

U problem may have just conincided with putting the petrol in. New leads and plugs to start!

A mate just had a similar problem! But his was cracked cylinder head (106 Gti) french build quality strikeds again!

Let us know how you get on!

320d M Sport

hmm, its a 172 though, never heard of it on these, plus its still quite new..... its starting to REALLY FCUK ME OFF

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 September 2003

it does yes............bless the female of the species.
Nah your wrong its gravity fed ;)

As for optimax I will go out of my way to get it as my car runs crap on anything but optimax, if feels lazy on super or unleaded, probably all in my head but whatever works eh ?

Ad

MK2 FRS

i gotta say mine runs much better on optimax, esecially in tickover, is nowere near as lumpy. I filled up with Bp Super Unleaded, it is was very expensive at 83.9 (Though BPs usually are in My area) and it was definitley not running as well as it does on Optimax.

Take it its still not sorted...??

I didnt think it was possible to reset the ECU without renaults computer or am I being dumb???

paddy i had a problem with mine a few month bk just like yours , my petrol tank had water in it causing it 2 rust all the injectors and causing it to not run propley?? just a thought

I read a review posted on a site about a 172 cup, he broke down and could smell sulphur - took it to the dealers and it turned out to be a coil

320d M Sport

hmm, thanks fellas.

wonder if its possible to drain the petrol tank, problem i have is what if reno says it is bad petrol then charge me a bomb for loking at the car?

im well pissed off.....

Ad

MK2 FRS

Have you told them you think its bad petrol, Im not sure it would even cross there minds, its not as if they look at anything that you havent requested, or fix anything cause they noticed it wrong.