ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP NÈEDED...172 running like a pig

2002 clio 172
Hi guys

Im at a loss here car was running very rough and had a severe loss of power....i parked it up and have spent the last few weeks changing timing belt aux belt dephaser and also gearbox due to a prev issue....now the car is back together it is still running like a pig...now it starts runs very bad strong smell of petrol and if revs are not kept on it dies and wont start........with revs it dies out after about 4 mins.....also with accelerator pedal pushed it runs rough at low revs and high but there is a point inbetween it runs well.

Thanks in advance for anybhelp with this....i am at my wits end

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
wow...lots of variables there....
you sure the timing is bang on?
compression?
you smell petrol so its fuelling, is it sparking?
had a codereader attached to it yet?
TDC sensor in the right place?
Lambda sensor ok?

2002 clio 172
Tdc sensor or lambada are my 1st thoughts code reader brings up p0130 bank 1 sensor 1. No compression test done.....happened just before i started any work which is making me think it isnt timing related.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Tdc sensor or lambada are my 1st thoughts code reader brings up p0130 bank 1 sensor 1. No compression test done.....happened just before i started any work which is making me think it isnt timing related.
Well lambda would be first thing i'd change then...swap it with the rear lambda and see if it runs better ( this will throw up a warning light though, just ignore it)

Have you run it long enough to get it warm?
If the lambda heater circuit is out it will run like crap until the sensor(engine) is warm.

2002 clio 172
Right il look at lamvada 1st. Yes ive had it running for as long as it would keep going.....i was getting tied up looking for faults in work we had just done i think i should look at this seperate as it happened the night before the work started.

Could be lambda sensor, coil pack, ht lead, spark plug, injector. The way to check the coil pack is when its running pull each ht lead off from the coil pack one at a time. If its ok you'll see a small spark, no spark on any of the leads then that might be your issue. The fuel smell is the unburnt fuel from the cylinder that's not sparking. Could be a spark plug or HT lead, that would give you the same fuel smell as its not being burnt. Try the plugs, leads and coil pack first as they're the cheapest. Last time I checked a Bosch lambda was about £90 from gsf. Hope it helps

2002 clio 172
Ok injectors fine, coil pack fine and sparking, Ht leads appear in good nick and on in the right order plugs look to be ok no major markings to indicate anything. Still to look at lambada and crank posn sensor....any other suggestions?

Clio 182
Think timing is out, just a guess..., seen a few meganes that started but died due to vvt pulley issues...does it stay alive if you rev it

2002 clio 172
Back again....Right new lambda sensor has removed the emmissions light and when wee get it running it runs smoother...crank sensor is fine too soo after checking through some wiring looms i think I will go back and re do the timing.....just for giggles.

2002 clio 172
Right can anyone tell me if they see an issue with the position of these cams......not ideal pic but havent had time to get car jacked up and find tdc but any help from what yous can see would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20150929_210637.jpg
    20150929_210637.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  2002 clio 172
No its not yet. Havent had time to get it to tdc car just wheeled into garage then end caps off car has sat in my drive for months.