ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed for my daughters 182

Honda CRV
My daughter recently had her 2004 clio 182 cup serviced. Renault dealer in Leicester quoted her £1500 for new cat and new driveshaft due to engine management light being on and ABS lighting intermittently.
Quotes from dealer :
"Can't change the reluctor (ABS) ring on a 182, needs a new driveshaft - £500 fitted"
"Tester showing catalytic converter functional fault, this combined with middle exhaust section rattle suggests the catalytic converter has broken up - replacement cat £1000 fitted"
Having read loads of threads on here:
a) sounds as though middle section exhaust rattle is common.
b) sounds like there may be an issue with lambda sensor and not cat.
c) Have found broken reluctor ring on offside.

Just been down to buy a reluctor(ABS) ring from local Renault dealer in Cannock who quoted me £211 for complete drivesahaft saying they "don't recommend just changing the ring as this can set all the airbags off"
Is this more b****cks or should I be taking a lot of notice of all these comments?
Seems to me that dealers are finding they can't sell cars and so are trying to make money out of servicing or repairs. All the above seems like a rip off to me, I can buy an ABS ring for £30, lambda sensor for £100, and a generic cat for about £250.
Any comments would be helpful as I am new to Clio's.

As a last question, what is the grease that they use to pack the cv joint with inside ther gaiter? Is it anything special or will any high melting point graphite grease do?
Thanks for looking.

SQ5
Any high melting point grease will do.

Renault have a very high labour charge, It'll take two hours MAX to change driveshaft so they seem to be charging it to you at around £140 an hour which is ridiculous!

As for the cat, any exhaust place will be able to do it fitted for around £250 I would imagine.

I would go for the whoel the driveshaft for peace of mind, but any £30-£40 ph garage will be able to do it for you!

172 cup
christ could get all that done for the price there quoting you just for driveshaft out my way. Even better do it yourself and itll cost about £300 in non gen parts

M2 Competition
Sounds about right for a renault charge, some of the franchised dealers are shocking. Shop around, theres a renault dealer near me thats spot on and honest.

Clio 172
i would source a driveshaft from a scrappy or ebay. Plenty of them go on ebay, then pay a garage to fit it.

The cat, well it could possibly be a lamba sensor but if the cat has broken up inside then it will definately need a cat as thats a problem to start with. Renaults dont like non genuine cats, well thats in my previous experience. By all means try one but i know people who have had to end up buying a genuine one

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Yozzasport out your way???

Freds not far, sure he could put on his superhero suit & tell you the facts :lol:

Bet he knows of a cat etc that you need;)

Thats why the term 'Stealer' is used a lot!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My daughter recently had her 2004 clio 182 cup serviced. Renault dealer in Leicester quoted her £1500 for new cat and new driveshaft due to engine management light being on and ABS lighting intermittently.
Quotes from dealer :
"Can't change the reluctor (ABS) ring on a 182, needs a new driveshaft - £500 fitted"
"Tester showing catalytic converter functional fault, this combined with middle exhaust section rattle suggests the catalytic converter has broken up - replacement cat £1000 fitted"

Just been down to buy a reluctor(ABS) ring from local Renault dealer in Cannock who quoted me £211 for complete drivesahaft saying they "don't recommend just changing the ring as this can set all the airbags off"
Is this more b****cks or should I be taking a lot of notice of all these comments?
Seems to me that dealers are finding they can't sell cars and so are trying to make money out of servicing or repairs. All the above seems like a rip off to me, I can buy an ABS ring for £30, lambda sensor for £100, and a generic cat for about £250.

As a last question, what is the grease that they use to pack the cv joint with inside ther gaiter? Is it anything special or will any high melting point graphite grease do?
Thanks for looking.

One thing that might be worth checking is the centre mount inserts (sp?). My exhaust rattled like bloody mad - roughly straight under the floor, between the two front seats.

The section there has two spring-loaded inserts. One had completely sheared through one end - meaning it was just flapping about and rattling against the vibration of the exhaust. The kit wasn't a lot - less than £30, iirc and not really a difficult job to do.

Those prices (even for Reno) that have been quoted sound very steep. If you're in the Cannock area, Birchdown are less than 40 miles from you - over in Malpas. I'd certainly recommend a 2nd opinion at the very least from Andy & Steve over there. Just for piece of mind, if nothing else.

As for the grease, I used the following:-

http://www.commaoil.com/Product%20Pages/Maintenance/cvgrease.htm

£4.99 from a local motor factors...

D.

Clio 172
i would hope that a renault tech would know the difference between a noisey mount and a broken up cat.

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Did you take it to Renault Leicester? I use Renault in Colloerton (Just past Loughborough on way to A42) about a third of the price normally

Skoda Fabia vRS
can i just defend the dealers here !

those prices on the parts are set by Renault, not the dealers, they cant do anything about the prices on them and those prices look normal to me, Renault OE cats are very expensive especially on any Renaultsport model

how many teeth are on the ABS ring on your vehicle ?.......44 ? if so i have a part number for a ring which *might* fit

i cant understand what they have said about airbags though, what has that got to do with the ABS system !?

the grease will be any moly based grease

and FYI our dealers sold more cars in Jan and Feb than the site has EVER done before, so were not doing too bad on car sales :)

Golf GTD Mk7
does sound a bit wierd has to be said. I'd love to know why renault OE CATS are sooooooooo expensive. Not even stainless. Hense why most people decat for about 100quid. You could get an orbisoud stainless system including cat for 1k. CATs are a bit rattly on 182s anyway, just live with it really.

Airbag due to ABS. Did your daughter take the car in and they thought they could get some money out of her? I know times are hard but thats rediculous. Could always get a second hand DS to save a few pennies.

Black 197
i got quoted £980 for a new cat on mt 182... Renault suck in spare parts prices.. Like your gonna pay dealer prices anyway

Honda CRV
Thanks for all your comments guys, it's the first time I've posted on the forum and the response has been quick and very useful.
Since I posted it has got even more interesting. I found this website
http://www.reluctorrings.com/renault.php
and e-mailed Gavin Moss in the contacts section of the website. I can get a ring for about £40 + p&p and it looks like the fitting is quite straight forward. But Gavin is an alright guy, rapid response, and in commenting made me aware that the ring that is on (44 teeth) is the standard 7.5mm wide ring and not the 16mm wide ring that should be on 182 shafts. Now, as both sides of the car have 7.5mm wide rings and it was working up to now, I can only assume that I have standard drive shafts on the car and not 182 shafts. I will be replacing like for 7.5mm like, I think, as it has been working previously.

Nobody said life was going to be easy, interesting perhaps, but not easy!

My emissions light comes on at least once a year, every year, for about 3-4 days and has passed two MOTs. In fact it passed its last MOT recently while the light was on, so don't go by that light alone. Most likely just a case of Renault replacing half the car again until the problem goes away.

Oh and pmsl at the ring setting all the airbags off. Rogue Traders springs to mind :dapprove:

Skoda Fabia vRS
ive never noticed a 16mm ring before, but ive not seen enough to know for sure

ill dig out the part number as im sure the Renault 44 toothed ring is cheaper than £40

Skoda Fabia vRS
44 teeth ring - 7700 856 416
£25.73+vat

i cant be certain this would fit though, this is one of the part numbers we have had in the past, and i know its got 44 teeth as i label them up when they come in

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Quotes from dealer :

Thanks for looking.

182 cat in the for sale section ;)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=405140

Honda CRV
Hiya Brun,
according to more info from Gavin Moss, the width of 182 reluctor rings is 16 mm and also it has a larger diameter than the standard 44 tooth 7.5 mm ring. I presume that 182 drive shafts are beefier than the standard drive shaft from this info.
Thanks for the info and part no for the 44 tooth ring. I presume those are renault part no's? I will be interested to see whether the local Renault mob charge me what you have quoted. I suspect not!!!:S

www.renparts.co.uk
44 teeth ring - 7700 856 416
£25.73+vat

i cant be certain this would fit though, this is one of the part numbers we have had in the past, and i know its got 44 teeth as i label them up when they come in

think that one is narrower than the 182 one.

PH1 172 Sport
If there telling you the cats broken up on the inside then I would personally take it off and expect it yourself. If you handy with a spanner its 4 bolts and on the 182 it is a really quick and simple job. If its not broken inside then its probably a lambda sensor.

Is the car giving bad fuel ecconomy as thats also a sign of a bad sensor?

M

mini-valver

I'd replace the shaft personally. ABS rings are a b**ch to get hold of the right one and its just so much easier. The rattle will be the manifold to cat bolts more than likely, emission light because of llambda. About 2 hours and £200, not £1500!