ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed with my 182 track car

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all I am currently building a 182 track car. I have removed the rear seats and rear door cards and sound deading. I am thinking about removing the headlining carpets and a few other bits inside the car. I am running with bilstein b14 suspension, 1 degree camber shims (on the rear) and a white line rear anti roll bar and was just wondering by me taking more weight out of it will it make it a bit lively ? Would it be better to keep some weight in until I fit the cage and race seats ?
I will be fitting a cage at some point it's just finding one I like.
Any advise about building a track car would be great. :)
Many thanks
Ben

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
hi there, just rip everthing out you can if it is just a track car. it will improve acceleration/braking and corner speed as you have less weight to move.
you may need to make small adjustments the more you do and the more track time you do to suit your own driving style.
how much front camber are you running?

Clio 220 PH2
Well that's what I was thinking but i had one of them moments and thought best just to ask if I am about to make the car worst and then once the cage goes in I get a better balance
I believe it's about 2 degrees but I am have the car set up in the next couple of weeks as its been off the road for a while. Any recommendations on how much camber to run. I will be sticking a set of toyo r888r on it as well
Thank you very much for the advice
Also is there much demand for a 182 ff interior ?
Many thanks
Ben

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
if you are just on track then about 2.5 to 3 degrees on the front with a little toe out is a good place to start then do some track time to check the balance/ feel and then you can tinker from there.
whats you local track?
in my experience not much demand as there is alot of them out there, but if it is in good condition then you may get something for it.I ended up throwing most of mine away as i couldnt shift it.
have you done anything with your brakes yet?

Clio 220 PH2
Well that cars going to be road legal but will mainly be used for on the track. Having the camber set to that will I need to space the front wheels out to clear the suspension as its pretty close at the minute. I am close to donington park, silverstone and Bedfords about an hour away.
Ok thank you I mean I thought about keeping the interior as its in really good nick but then I thought what the car will end up like I can not imagine they will go back in lol.
At present I have changed the rear discs and pads and looking at the fronts at the minute. I have genuine Renault discs and ferodo DS performance pads on the back and unknown on the front (I have only had the car a few months so not sure what the old owner had on it)
Cheers
Ben

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Welcome along :)

Camber / toe: start with -2.5 and 10mins of toe on the front. Keep rear as it came out of factory, or the -1 shims will be fine. (They leave the factory -1 anyway I believe, so you're technically running -2). With the Whiteline as stiff as it gets it will be livelier, but nowhere near the realms of "too lively".

Brakes: don't need performance pads on the rear, OEM is fine (95 per cent on braking on these is through the front). Front - Brembo HC and a decent performance pad (Ferodo ds2500 was my choice). Do a full fluid change to a decent performance based fluid aswell (ATE superblue, Motul etc).

Weight - get rid of everything you want to get rid of before the cage.

Tyres - 888s are fine, there is a decent tyre thread at the top of this section for other reviews.

Spacers - I run 16mm. Others run between 0 and 20mm with no problems. Just make sure they are Hubcentric and if not on studs / nuts then bolt to hub type spacers.

General track car building advice, get the suspension and brakes sorted then work it on track with some tuition until you're happy. Then if you like throwing money at your cars start the painful game of power chasing......

Enjoy, they are good fun on track :smile:

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
My last 172 was fully stripped and I used it as a road legal track car. With the interior, I had a pair of bucket seats, but no cage. Suspension wise, I was using Eibach springs with cup dampers, and 15mm shims at -1.5 on the back, and camber bolts on the front at -1.5. I also used a whiteline ARB on the back.

I found this setting to be very good on track, with it feeling very good in the corners.

My set up was a compromise between trackdays and road driving, but to answer your original post, the balance of the car was not massively changed, although I did have the battery in the boot. The ARB was a fantastic addition, but I would say it is worth adjusting to soft on trackdays when it's wet.

One minor point, I removed my roof lining, and also took off two big tar patches that are on the roof. With the lining out, the car gets really hot during the day, the condensation can form and drop on you later on the day! I refitted mine, and in fairness the lining only weighs about 1kg, so don't be to quick to throw it out as you might need it again.

I have just bought another 172 this week to go down the same route track/road car, the only difference I foresee between this new car and my last one, is that this new one has some B14's on at the moment.

Clio 220 PH2
Thank you so much that is great :) I shall start having a play with it :)
Would it be 10 minutes toe in or out sorry ?
I shall have a little look on the tyre thread thank you :)
I shall get a new set of discs, pads and fluid on order when I get to work Monday haha
Thank you so much again that has been really helpful

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Toe out improves turn in at the cost of some stability. Can cause higher tyre wear with a lot of negative camber. The 182's came with toe out from the factory. Causes plenty of arguements at places like kwikfit.

Clio 220 PH2
Thank you for the advice Dave about the headlining I will keep it in for now. Sounds like you have a nice 172. I must admit from the short drive I have had in the car with the bilstein on they are amazing, transforms the car
Thank you very much Cub :) I will have a look see what sort of price I am looking at for the fronts from him.
To be fair the miles I will be doing in it I am hoping I don't rip through tires haha
I am itching to get the car out on track I just need to finish the interior, brakes and tires then hopefully August I will try and get it on a track day.
Is there anything else you would put on the car suspension wise ?
Many thanks again
Ben

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Ben,
It is very easy to forget that the drive to and from the track has to be at least half enjoyable.
So unless you use ear plugs on the road or you are unfortunately mutton jeff, I would leave some of the lighter sound absorbing materials in the car, especially ref headlining as mentioned.
A few kilos here and there don't seem to make much difference to the overall track day performance / enjoyment.
(Pure race every bit helps.)
regards mark

Clio 220 PH2
Thanks Mark that is a good point, I might for the time being till the cage goes in keep them in so I can hear people once I get there haha.

Clio 220 PH2
I might be taking the car to the ring this summer
Is the 2.5 degrees camber and 10 minutes toe out a good set up for the ring ?
Cheers
Ben

When I tried and failed to strip the rear if my car (can't undo the middle passenger seatbelt bolt on the roof) I was shocked at how little a lot of the stuff weighed. The sound deadening in the rear doorcards weighs bugger all as does the stuff directly under the carpet. The tar stuff is surprisingly heavy and does seem to do feck all too! The cards and seatbelts themselves seem to weigh a bit though.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
When I tried and failed to strip the rear if my car (can't undo the middle passenger seatbelt bolt on the roof) I was shocked at how little a lot of the stuff weighed. The sound deadening in the rear doorcards weighs bugger all as does the stuff directly under the carpet. The tar stuff is surprisingly heavy and does seem to do feck all too! The cards and seatbelts themselves seem to weigh a bit though.

I've still got the full interior in mine. Just with a cage and buckets.

"Clubsport spec" I call it.

2ba5cba64e15b0f3947749b635278705.jpg

27ce79f1c0ccabd81521a32d722da6d7.jpg

7fa18da4974ad871339a7b8bc702de29.jpg

For track, I don't see the point of stripping it completely. Race, obviously is a different story. I suppose I'm just old and like having my stereo and carpets as I float around Oulton.

Looks pretty nifty that I like it!

i think I'll go similar, I don't find the noise at present too much but may get the ktec boot carpet. Depends really. I can't wait to swap the heavy drivers seat for a cobra clubsport (most likely) although sadly the passengers will have ti remain as I need it on the off chance I need to take my son in the car.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have gone inbetween, I left the carpet in the front and everything from the seats back has gone, the door cards have been changed to carbon fibre ones but still fitted speakers as it is driven to the track (not the best sound but better than a constant exhaust noise).
I am in the process of finishing off fitting a roof vent now but still kept the headliner as I did not want to get dripped on when the condensation built up, even with no carpet in the back it is still civilised with a ktec 2.5inch exhaust.
Saving a couple of kg's is not a massive concern as I am not the smallest of people.
DSC_0033%202_zpsjugfs24d.jpg

DSC01943_zps0b7d0e2e.jpg

DSC02078_zps5307239d.jpg

Clio 220 PH2
You'll be fine on this setup mate around the ring. It's track knowledge that's more of a benefit to setup around there.
Cheers mate :) I normally take my dads car but I fancy taking the clio see how that gets on :)
But thank you for the setup I shall get it all sorted asap :)

Clio 220 PH2
I have gone inbetween, I left the carpet in the front and everything from the seats back has gone, the door cards have been changed to carbon fibre ones but still fitted speakers as it is driven to the track (not the best sound but better than a constant exhaust noise).
I am in the process of finishing off fitting a roof vent now but still kept the headliner as I did not want to get dripped on when the condensation built up, even with no carpet in the back it is still civilised with a ktec 2.5inch exhaust.
Saving a couple of kg's is not a massive concern as I am not the smallest of people.

DSC01943_zps0b7d0e2e.jpg

DSC02078_zps5307239d.jpg
Really like the door cards mate where did you get them from ?

Clio 220 PH2

DSC01943_zps0b7d0e2e.jpg

DSC02078_zps5307239d.jpg
Where did you root the wires in the back that looks really clean and professional ?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you root the wires in the back that looks really clean and professional ?

Have a look at my build thread its in there with more pictures.
The drivers side is routed between the panels and comes out by the rear light and the passenger side is just tidied up by putting the cakes inside some conduit tube

Clio 220 PH2
Have a look at my build thread its in there with more pictures.
The drivers side is routed between the panels and comes out by the rear light and the passenger side is just tidied up by putting the cakes inside some conduit tube
Thank you I shall have a read through it tonight. What the back of your car looks like is the sort of clean professional look I want to go for :)
Thank you very much

Bloody cages are so expensive! I only really want one for a stiffer shell/better handling as im too good to crash (lol)