ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with newly bought 172 axle problem please

K20 EG Hatch
Hello all, I've been out of a clio for a long time now and it is kind of good to be back in one in a weird kind of way ;)

Anyhow; I bought this 172 from a member on here. It had been slid into curb and hit the rear wheel which has obviously bent the rear axle.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=491655

After buying a used axle complete with replacement stub axles, disks, the lot I bolted it all on and also replaced the wheels with some phase two ones.

All good, or so I thought. The rear wheel (the same side which was damaged before) now seems to sit with a little more positive camber than it should. After a quick test drive it seems to drive great but if you take a sharp right you can hear this wheels tyre rubbing on the damper and inner arch. Clearly visible if you take the wheel off and you can see where it has been rubbing.

Now the part I don't get is with the old axle on it had a s**t load of negative camber where its slid into a curb and with the new axle on it has a tiny bit of positive camber? :s Could the breakers have sold me another bent axle? Is something else damaged? I'm out of ideas and can't think what it could be! If the damper was bent as well could that knock the camber out? I can't really see how? And I can't really see how anything else could be bent other than the axle? :s

Cheers

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I would think the bang has bent the axle it has also done some other damage too mate . Hope you gettin lookin as good as your old RB did loved that car !! still got your old splitter on mine ;)

K20 EG Hatch
I really cannot see how it could have damaged anything else though other than the axle? :s At worst maybe the damper also?

Oh and I do miss the RB, loved that car :p

K20 EG Hatch
Fred there are pics in my first post before I changed the axle and I will get some of it now at dinner time mate of obviously after axle change.

K20 EG Hatch
Yes it's having much needed new tyres this afternoon ;)

b36b4e88.jpg

f6720233.gif

7ba46f2e.gif

1b03a63a.jpg

f66f16dc.jpg

d9162b03.jpg

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Mine was sitting like that when the bearing went.. but you would know if that was the issue.

K20 EG Hatch
Don't think it's a bearing as it's not noisey at all. Well it is when the bloody tyres rubbing the damper/inner arch!

K20 EG Hatch
Not too sure if I'm honest. I'll give that a try tonight though when I get home.

Infact, the stub axle's aren't handed are they? Maybe it's worth trying my good stub from the old axle onto this one?

No movement in the wheel when jacked up?

Lionel Richie
that's negative camber ;)

looks bent to f**k, could be a shagged bearing or missing disc spacers

it is a 172 rear beam ain't it? doesn't look wide enough from the pics

K20 EG Hatch
It was from a 172 cup Fred. Came complete with calipers, discs the lot. Good buy at the price I paid. Well not so much if it's bent lol.

I've really got a feeling that this one is bent too :(

that's negative camber ;)

looks bent to f**k, could be a shagged bearing or missing disc spacers

it is a 172 rear beam ain't it? doesn't look wide enough from the pics

K20 EG Hatch
Just spoke to the breakers again and he's said there is a chance this one could be bent too as he bought a load of parts from another renault breakers and this axle is one of them that come from the other company so he doesn't really know the history of it.

Anyway, he has said to try my good stub from my original axle and if it's still out he will swap the axle for me.

Blag as it means bleeding brakes again etc if so.

K20 EG Hatch
Swapped stub axles over tonight for the one I KNOW is perfectly straight and guess what, still on the piss the same. So I'm pretty certain it can mean only one thing. This axle is also bent!?