ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi guys. I have just purchased a 2004 182 and it has an electrical problem.

Renault Clio 182
The centre dashboard lights go out when you put the main lights on and the speedo back light keeps going out and coming back on again at radom times. Any ideas?
Cheers Nev

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Welcome to the Club Nev!

my gut reaction is the UCH under the glovebox. Usually if you unplug it and plug it back in (vigorously, 5 or 6 times) and the fault goes away for a few days, it’s a sure sign that it’s starting to fail.
It used to be an expensive fix but plenty of people offer a repair service now for very little money.

Like this guy; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18497354...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Renault Clio 182
Welcome to the Club Nev!

my gut reaction is the UCH under the glovebox. Usually if you unplug it and plug it back in (vigorously, 5 or 6 times) and the fault goes away for a few days, it’s a sure sign that it’s starting to fail.
It used to be an expensive fix but plenty of people offer a repair service now for very little money.

Like this guy; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18497354...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Thanks Mr Trebus. I will give that try. Thank you for the link too. Very much appreciated. Regards Nev

Renault Clio 182
Welcome to the Club Nev!

Hi Mr Trebus, Just wanted to say a big thank you regarding your advice of yesterday that referred to checking out the UCH connections. I did as you said and I now have the lights working as they should do on the centre consul. The car has stood for over 8 years of which electrics do not like and therefore your thoughts regarding the UCH connections were spot on. A bit of a clean up using an electrical contact spray cleaner and all is good. One another note, the 'how many miles left' of fuel readout on the lower part of the speedo just shows a row of flashing lines no matter how much fuel is in the tank. Any ideas on this one? Cheers Nev

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hi Mr Trebus, Just wanted to say a big thank you regarding your advice of yesterday that referred to checking out the UCH connections. I did as you said and I now have the lights working as they should do on the centre consul. The car has stood for over 8 years of which electrics do not like and therefore your thoughts regarding the UCH connections were spot on. A bit of a clean up using an electrical contact spray cleaner and all is good. One another note, the 'how many miles left' of fuel readout on the lower part of the speedo just shows a row of flashing lines no matter how much fuel is in the tank. Any ideas on this one? Cheers Nev
Glad it’s sorted mate. Get some pics up in the media section if it’s a bit of a project!

The fuel remaining thing - I have a similar issue on mine but just put it down to not being driven much and it never has a chance to calculate the MPG to work out how much is left. (It’s a track car with a kill switch so nothing is ever stored on the trip) Never looked in to it any further than that as I don’t actually care. 😂😂

Renault Clio 182
Glad it’s sorted mate. Get some pics up in the media section if it’s a bit of a project!

The fuel remaining thing - I have a similar issue on mine but just put it down to not being driven much and it never has a chance to calculate the MPG to work out how much is left. (It’s a track car with a kill switch so nothing is ever stored on the trip) Never looked in to it any further than that as I don’t actually care. 😂😂
Yep......It's a Clio...... guess the odd gremlin is to be expected. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated and Happy New Year.

Renault Clio 182

Found the solution to the remaining fuel status readout. Push and hold in the button on the end of the windscreen wipers, turn the ignition on, wait for the dash to run through a re-set, then push the little black re-set button. Release the push button on the stalk and start the car. Drive for a few miles and the trip, average miles, how many miles of fuel left settings etc are re-set. Cheers Nev